Media and punditry

BOF

It's because their 'analysis' is "look at that striker there, he's running forward [forward pointing arrow appears on screen] into the space between defenders [empty zone of pitch is highlighted and defenders are circled, just in case you didn't know that they're the guys between the striker and the goal] then scores a with a lovely finish [other pundits agree in horribly laddish fashion].  He's curled it right out of the keeper's reach [in case you don't have eyes or are blind]."

This kind of stuff is easily repeated when describing the goal.

• Like 2

sky are surprisingly letting themselves down tonight, spent a fair amount of time talking about their surprise at Bayern's gamble about lahm playing DMC, ive seen Bayern about 4 times this season and he's played there (and looked awesome) every time

when not talking about that they seem to be talking about muller playing through the middle

its all a bit ITV

hate it when people who get paid well to watch football talk like they don't (looking at you alan shearer)

Shearer is dull, the anti-thesis of 'insightful' and frankly sits there with a this almost lazily arrogant look which says 'I'm picking up a handsome sum of money to chat shit off the top of my head and I'm happy to insult the audience by not even trying'.

To be fair to Shearer, his analysis has improved big time. He is no longer spouting obvious bullshit like 'if that team scores more then the other team then they win the game'

It\s not his analysis that's improved as such, it's that he's basically (IMO) along with the rrest of the MoTD folk, been given a bifg kick up their smug, compacent backsides, by Neville on Sky. The mass, valid, slating of the cosy MoTD approach has obviously hit home.

Shearer is clearly a canny man, you can't play football at the top for as long as he did without knowing a great deal about (in his case) strikers play, attacking moves and such like. I think he's also a qualified coach, or on the way to being.

The slating of MoTD and his earlier "analysis" has finally drawn him out from the shell he used to adopt as a player of saying absolutely nothing interesting to the media.

It's taken far too long.

He's short of being as good as Neville, but at least he's revealing a few things now. Hopefully for the sake of making MoTD bearable, all of them on there will improve.

Does anyone else think that Carragher's involvement in MNF has made it a bit less interesting.  Neville is that good i'm surprised they added another "expert" to the panel. Jamie wasn't really needed.

• Like 1

Does anyone else think that Carragher's involvement in MNF has made it a bit less interesting. Neville is that good i'm surprised they added another "expert" to the panel. Jamie wasn't really needed.

Yep, I think the best thing they could do is either alternate presenting it or put carragher on a different show

Does anyone else think that Carragher's involvement in MNF has made it a bit less interesting. Neville is that good i'm surprised they added another "expert" to the panel. Jamie wasn't really needed.

Yep, I think the best thing they could do is either alternate presenting it or put carragher on a different show

The best thing they could do is sacking Carragher.

Does anyone else think that Carragher's involvement in MNF has made it a bit less interesting.  Neville is that good i'm surprised they added another "expert" to the panel. Jamie wasn't really needed.

Yep Neville is quite clearly the best around.

I presume stats fall under the media and punditry umbrella? They are useful but people put far too much weight into them. Exhibit #367 is West Ham's first goal against Spurs this weekend. It will go down as a Kevin Nolan assist despite the fact that the ball bouncing off of his arse actually prevented the goal being scored in the first place. :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

Something that's really been bugging me all day is the coverage regarding the flare hitting the lino yesterday. All the media seem to report that the incident occurred at the Aston Villa ground, always implying that it was us. It's very rare that they mention that it was infact the spur fans who threw it.

• Like 1

That's just idle speculation and it doesn't change the fact that the home side are responsible for the crowd. It was a Villa steward who let the flare into the ground. 

I agree with Rev that it is AVFC's responsibility but I don't think it's that idle at the same time to suggest the London meeja would let everyone know the London club's fans didn't throw it. In fact it might be quite telling that the London meeja are not emphasising that very fact in this instance.

Â