Media and punditry

BOF

He got that bad injury against Liverpool and while he was out injured United signed Wayne Rooney. 

they were signed in same transfer window. was well into his 2nd season and playing in midfield he got the injury

The most amazing opening of a show I have ever known. Roy Keane slagging off Ferguson about comments in his book, Ian Wright laughing in the background. Absolutely incredible.

I wouldn't sy he slagged him off, just said the man has no loyalty to the players that brought him success, and keanes right about that

Its like that episode of Father Ted when he wins an award and then names and shames everybody he doesnt like

He got that bad injury against Liverpool and while he was out injured United signed Wayne Rooney. 

they were signed in same transfer window. was well into his 2nd season and playing in midfield he got the injury

He was pushed out by Rooney though.  As my memory is clearly hazy I've read up on it again and it seems that the Smith deal was almost in place as Leeds were relegated at the back end of 2003/04.   Manchester United were always going to make an effort to sign Rooney but I'm positive Fergie said at the time he would have preferred to wait another season before signing him but their hand was forced by the fact that Newcastle had made a £25m+ offer for him.  

United signed Smith as a striker but circumstances changed very quickly after the deal was done.  That injury against Liverpool was awful though, Smith was such a good player before that and he never really recovered from it. 

Van Nistelrooy's reaction when he sees it.  :puke:

He was pushed out by Rooney though.  As my memory is clearly hazy I've read up on it again and it seems that the Smith deal was almost in place as Leeds were relegated at the back end of 2003/04.   Manchester United were always going to make an effort to sign Rooney but I'm positive Fergie said at the time he would have preferred to wait another season before signing him but their hand was forced by the fact that Newcastle had made a £25m+ offer for him.  

United signed Smith as a striker but circumstances changed very quickly after the deal was done.  That injury against Liverpool was awful though, Smith was such a good player before that and he never really recovered from it. 

Van Nistelrooy's reaction when he sees it.  :puke:

Should have drank more milk as a child 

In all seriousness I think a bad ankle injury is the worst thing you can get as a footballer.  The bones aren't strong down there and you rely on a full range of movement in order to be able to use it properly. It takes an age to heal and it might never heal fully. 

In all seriousness I think a bad ankle injury is the worst thing you can get as a footballer.  The bones aren't strong down there and you rely on a full range of movement in order to be able to use it properly. It takes an age to heal and it might never heal fully. 

Yep. Remember Freddy Bouma when he did his ankle? I dont think I have ever seen a footballer in as much pain, the poor guy. I have tremendous respect for him that after he left us he battled back to fitness in the PSV and Dutch side.

I remember that game it was the most horrible thing. As said great that he recovered though also a bit pissed as he probably should have got a chance for another deal as was prob better than Warnock and Shorey and instead have had to put up with average to dreadful left backs since then

I agree with Rev that it is AVFC's responsibility but I don't think it's that idle at the same time to suggest the London meeja would let everyone know the London club's fans didn't throw it. In fact it might be quite telling that the London meeja are not emphasising that very fact in this instance.

This London Media myth is the same as the refs always biased against us myth! I'm not a Londoner, but I live there and I can honestly say there is no bias except that we're all biased towards our team and so congenitally disposed to find bias in others when they talk about our team. Once you've found bias then you try and find a reason why, and the media's all based in London is a good one. I'll tell you for nothing that every club in London also thinks the media is biased against them, except they can't blame the geographic location so they find other equally spurious reasons, they all support Arsenal/Spurs/Chelsea etc. There is one big difference between the London clubs and the rest of the country though, they don't have large regional newspaper(s) to act as cheerleader. I don't know if you do in Birmingham, but just look at Liverpool, or the likes of Marca in Spain to see what a biased press looks like!

Edited by TartarugaJones

I agree it is hugely exaggerated by people, including lots of posters on this forum. My job takes me to London 4-5 times a week and I have plenty of people who live on the capital as colleagues and to a man they are all convinced that there is a media bias against their club. The same is true of Liverpool and Manchester United supporters.  There is definitely a bias towards London though, I think a lot of it is just because so many people within the media support London based clubs (probably a natural side effect of having a London based media) so certain clubs do get more column inches than they probably deserve. *cough* *Arsenal* *cough*

It could also be to do with the fact that London city simply has more football clubs.

Strictly speaking the London city has no football clubs.  :D

Edited by The_Rev
  • Like 1

An example of what The Rev is talking about regarding the home side's responsibilities.

FA may be fined for failing to stop Poland fans using flares at Wembley.

The Football Association faces being fined for failing to stop Poland fans setting off flares during England's World Cup qualifier at Wembley last week.

Fifa confirmed it has opened disciplinary proceedings against both countries after a number of flares were thrown onto the pitch and set alight in the stands.

Sixteen fans were arrested on the night for using pyrotechnics, which are banned in stadiums, and it appears only Poland fans were involved.

However, the governing body holds the host federation jointly liable in such cases as it is responsible for security at one of its stadiums.

Fifa said in a statement: "We can confirm that disciplinary proceedings have been opened against the Football Association and the Polish Football Association for incidents that were reported during the preliminary competition match of the 2014 FIFA World Cup Brazil between England and Poland on 15 October 2013."

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I was speaking to my uncle Ben on Saturday and said that Aaron Ramsey was almost certain to be the unanimous choice for footballer of the year. He took the glass of champagne out of my hand and said: 'You mean Wayne Rooney, don't you?' I told him that he had made a very good point and promptly went home.

classic Garth Crooks :D

Â