Football Manager 2013

AndyClarke

If you fancy a decent lower leagues challenge try keeping Truro up. I started as save as them just 'cause one of my mates is a Truro player, not being able to buy players certainly adds to the difficulty level although I did get taken over a few weeks into the season which lifted the transfer embargo but I haven't played it for a while as I've been getting into my Toulouse game.

Did finally manage to turn my poor form around with Toulouse, went on a late run and managed to finish the season 7th, which although below expectations was a decent finish considering I was one point off the relegation zone in January. Also managed to get to the quarter final of the Champ's League where i was beaten 4-2 on aggregate by Real Madrid. Ligue 1 is a bit messed up at the moment though, newly promoted Dijon won the league over second placed FC Lorient, and OM were relegated. Frustratingly though I must have accidentally declined the invitation to the reserves league and so my reserves have no fixtures this season which makes keeping match fitness up for my back up players rather difficult, fortunately though most of my 'Hot Prospects' are still eligible to play for the U19s so they shouldn't suffer too much.

Elsewhere Villa were bottom of the league in January but sacked Lambert and replaced him with Roy Keane and finished 10th, Randy must've opened his wallet aswell because they've since spent around £50m on transfers with very few outgoings. Chelsea won the Champ's League beating Galatasaray 6-3 in the final, Rafa Benitez is back in charge of Liverpool, and England won the world cup with Gabby being named player of the tournament.

Edited by Delphouneso

I tried that challenge with Truro for 2 1/2 seasons. Finished 15th and 16th in my two full season before leaving for Stockport in BSP. Both Stockport and Truro got relegated that year and i got sacked.

I am currently Boston having taken them over in 2015 while in BSN and now in BSP play-offs and FA Trophy final in 2020.

Edited by lp_villa830

• 2 weeks later...

Cheating my way through the game because buy back clauses are stupid as hell. Bayer Leverkusen have a young right back who I could probably get 30 mil for, but he has a buy back from Madrid of 6 million, so now every time Madrid bid for him, I take over as Madrid manager and cancel the bid. **** this game sometimes :(

Finished my fourth season with Toulouse, progress so far:

2012/2013:

Ligue 1 - 1st

2013/2014:

Ligue 1 - 7th

Champion's League - Quarter Final (knocked out by Real Madrid)

2014/2015:

Ligue 1 - 2nd

2015/2016:

Ligue 1 - 1st

Champion's League - First Knockout Round (knocked out by Real Madrid, again)

Total spent/sold: £58m/£39.5m

Despite only spending a total of £18.5m over four seasons, winning the league twice, and qualifying for the Champion's League for the third time, I've only been given a transfer budget of £6m for the forthcoming season.

Have got Yeovil promoted to the Championship with a few games to spare - doubting I'll get any decent funding in the new season but have negotiated 2 decent young French midfielders in on frees!

Paddy Madden has scored 27 goals for me this season and is now valued at £1.5m - bizarrely hoping someone comes in for him to give me some wedge to play with!

finally got it seeing as i got a new work lap top and it went down to £15

its ok, the new tab layout seems to make it look watered down, not a fan of the new in game stats screen and it seems near impossible to sign anyone, my plan of signing every -9 player as usual doesnt work when they want £5m for 16 year olds (with a value of £12K), trying to sign anyone half decent seems to require a man city budget, loan with a future fee might be the way forward, everyone else seems to be unsettling the player to put in a transfer request

playing as dortmund, the thin squad got me in the 1st season, not enough depth upfront, threw the league away with 4 games left, sold lewandowski for £30m and now in the 2nd summer im finding it a bit easier to sign people, abel hernandez for £4m for example

Started one as Crewe. Doing alright, 19 points after 10 games. Max Clayton and Luke Murphy are class too. Finding it hard to sign players though. Pretty much the same as above, squad is horribly thin. Doesn't really help that since the start of the season I've only had one week where I haven't played on a Tuesday or Wednesday.

I'm also managing Crewe ATM. Currently in the Premier League after successive promotions. First season in the top league my team was Championship quality at best but still managed to finish 4th. I have two regulars in my team that I got in the first youth intake. I want to focus on the youths coming through but so far only those two has had the quality. Not complaining though as they are progressing fantastically.

Regarding the expensive youngsters if you want to buy cheap you need to scout other nations then the big nations, or scout lower leagues. If you scout them not too long after their youth intake dates then they will be very cheap. The same goes for the big countries. Signing a great English/French/Spanish/Italian/German newgen will cost you £500k-£1m until he signs his 1st contract. Then he will likely cost an arm and a leg.

Good countries to scout are in example Croatia, Czech rep, Scandinavian countries, South Africa, etc.

Argentina and Mexico will produce lots of class players, but they are usually a bit more expensive (£1m-£4m). Whereas Brazilian youngsters will have low release clauses. Usually I see a few very good and cheap players coming through from the other South American countries too.

My best striker is a 19 year old Danish wonderkid and he already has 8 caps and 3 goals. He was signed for just £6k. My playmaker is a 19 y/o Swedish wonderkid signed for £1.9m. Abit more expensive but undoubtedly worth it.  I have a Croatian left back that has been in the first team since he was 15. Signed for £160k. My Czech left winger played 30 games in the first season in the Premier League, and he is still only 17. Signed for £325k.

So you just need to be a bit more creative with scouting to find them. Maybe look for newgen intakes dates for the various countries if you really want to be vigilant.

Edited by tarjei

Started one as Crewe. Doing alright, 19 points after 10 games. Max Clayton and Luke Murphy are class too. Finding it hard to sign players though. Pretty much the same as above, squad is horribly thin. Doesn't really help that since the start of the season I've only had one week where I haven't played on a Tuesday or Wednesday.

Crewe is a really fun challenge, I just ended up using my whole youth team.. Managed to get them into the Euro cup final in 2020, and finished 5th in the league just off a champions league spot..

They produce some amazing regens..

8642989451_85b1facd46_b.jpg

8644086070_234f18b46f_b.jpg

8642989915_c5bda9895a_b.jpg

8644086428_50f26411aa_b.jpg

• Like 1

Into my 5th season with Toulouse now, and my 3rd season in the Champion's League. Been knocked out of the previous two by Real Madrid both times, made it to the quarters this season and was drawn against.. Real Madrid. Lost the first leg 1-0 away, massive home leg coming up now as I'm determined not to be knocked out by Madrid three times in a row.

On expensive youngsters as others have mentioned if you get in there quick (within 1-2 days of the youth intake) you can approach to sign players before they sign a contract and just pay the compensation. Youngsters do seem to be a lot more expensive this time around though, I've just paid £20m for a regen CB. I make a decent amount of money off Brazilian regens though, as I'm only allowed four foreign players in my squad for Ligue 1 I can't make full use of the South American market so I take advantage of their low release clauses and buy up quite a few decent looking regens from Brazil every year, let them develop for a couple of seasons in my youth squad then keep the best of the bunch for my first team and sell the rest on for a profit.

Promoted first season, came 2nd on goal difference to Cov (only 80 points too), chuffed! Didn't think I was gonna make the automatic slots but took 16 points from last 18 and snuck in. Quite excited to play in the Championship, gonna have to abuse the loan market though.

Is there an algorithm in the game which decides what players turn into good/bad coaches?

Can anything you do make a player become a coach?

In my 5th season with Sheff Wed on FM 12. Went 

1st League One

11th Championship

1st Championship

7th Premier League

Currently 6th Premier League with about 5 games left.

Had a mental first year in the Prem. Lost away at Everton last day of the season otherwise I would have come 4th! Got in a regen Argie striker who banged in 30 league goals, and dragged me up the table himself.

Chelsea have incredible players and normally beat me but they came 13th last year and are 15th this season, weird.

Edited by Tomaszk

Is there an algorithm in the game which decides what players turn into good/bad coaches?

Can anything you do make a player become a coach?

In my 5th season with Sheff Wed on FM 12. Went 

1st League One

11th Championship

1st Championship

7th Premier League

Currently 6th Premier League with about 5 games left.

Had a mental first year in the Prem. Lost away at Everton last day of the season otherwise I would have come 4th! Got in a regen Argie striker who banged in 30 league goals, and dragged me up the table himself.

Chelsea have incredible players and normally beat me but they came 13th last year and are 15th this season, weird.

You can use the talk to player option and tell them you think they would make a great coach or assistant manager etc.

And on Chelsea, in my games they always just seem to stop spending which means they are now fighting relegation like they have been for the past 4 years in my game.

The Crewe board gave me £5m to spend after I got promoted into the Championship. Madness.

Did anyone else get that much?

Edited by Milfner

Beat Real Madrid 2-0 in the home leg to qualify for the semis. Two first half goals, switched to contain at 60 mins, don't usually risk going so defensive that early on but I was determined not to be knocked out of the Champ's league by the same team three times in a row!

Next game in the league I lost to title rivals Saint-Ettiene who overtook me and went into 1st place thanks to a calamitous own goal, one of my defenders played a simple pass back to the keeper who just stood there and watched the ball go through his legs into the net.

Edited by Delphouneso

The Crewe board gave me £5m to spend after I got promoted into the Championship. Madness.

Yeah, I got that too. From the sales of Westwood and Powell, I guess.

I messed that up a bit. I confirmed a few signings before the end of the season and then asked the board to improve the facilities. They agreed and decided to spend all the money the club had which was around £4m-£5m. Since the players join in the 2nd week of June and this was in early May I think the board got tricked into thinking the club could safely spend all of it. I survived by drawing a few big clubs in the cups and I also got a decent offer for Luke Murphy (£3.9m).

Think I got about £4m, but this was at the very start of the game..

Try and spend on Youth development and Junior Coaching, really does pay off in the long run 

Edited by AVFCforever1991

Â