Ashley Westwood

Nabby

9 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

Should have been in for Gardner. But I think id have bacuna over both of them in CM

Man, I always thought the whole players get better when they're out of the team thing to be bs...but seriously what's with all the calls for Bacuna to come back lately? He has always been veritably horrendous in center midfield. The only position for him is RB or at a push RM. 

1 minute ago, Keyblade said:

Man, I always thought the whole players get better when they're out of the team thing to be bs...but seriously what's with all the calls for Bacuna to come back lately? He has always been veritably horrendous in center midfield. The only position for him is RB or at a push RM. 

It's because we've got seriously shit cm players. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, DCJonah said:

It's because we've got seriously shit cm players. 

All stems from the previous twit wanting to buy for as cheap as possible. We're still recovering from the great Lerner plan. Hopefully we can look beyond that now.

Just an observation.  Sometimes, I've heard coaches instruct players not to tackle.  "Stay on your feet!  Just contain him."  I do wonder how often, when some of us criticize AW for "pulling out of tackles" as cowardice, he is, in reality making the right decision, and fans sometimes know less than we think we do about the game.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, srsmithusa said:

Just an observation.  Sometimes, I've heard coaches instruct players not to tackle.  "Stay on your feet!  Just contain him."  I do wonder how often, when some of us criticize AW for "pulling out of tackles" as cowardice, he is, in reality making the right decision, and fans sometimes know less than we think we do about the game.

Talk about clutching at straws... however I actually think Westy is perfectly fine squadplayer at this level, and he most certainly does get too much stick on here. I hope we keep him.

I have never seen Westwood play as badly as Gardner has, I have never seen Gardner play as well as Westwood can.

I have never seen Westwood play as badly as Jedinak has, I have seen Jedinak play better than Westwood has very occasionally. 

And for those reasons, he is the safe choice. Not the exciting choice perhaps, but as it stands he has to be in our first XI as there are no viable alternatives. That may change in January but at the moment he simply has to play. Whether he's good enough or not is irrelevant at the moment, he's the best and/or most consistent player we currently have in that position.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Grasshopper said:

I've seen Sid, Cropley, Rioch, Townsend, Platt, Taylor and Trevor ******* Hockey.

AW is not good enough.

Simple

I've seen Benteke, Saunders, Angel, Atkinson, Yorke and John ****** Carew.

Kodjia is not good enough.

Simple.

5 hours ago, jackbauer24 said:

I have never seen Westwood play as badly as Jedinak has, I have seen Jedinak play better than Westwood has very occasionally. 

Jedinak has been here since August. After a rocky start he has ranged from solid to absolute mother **** warrior. I've never seen Westwood put in a performance like Jedinak did against Blues and I "like" Westwood, certainly to the point where I don't have an agenda against him. 

Westwood has been rubbish this season, one half decent display against Leeds isn't enough to change my mind on that. He's been pretty rubbish for most of his career at Villa, though perhaps a change of scene might see him flourish elsewhere.

I think we should replace him and Gardner, neither are good enough for where we want to be, presumably the Premier League. However in the meanwhile we should support them both. 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, srsmithusa said:

Quite apart from tackles....I have seen him regularly get muscled off the ball, not fouled in cases, just losing out in the duel.

I would be amazed if coaches are happy with that.

finally, on the contrary......when it comes to watching the match,I would argue many fans especially the longstanding, discerning fan......knows more than some experts give them credit for.

E.g trainspotters know more about some aspects of trains than station masters.