Ashley Westwood

Nabby

1 minute ago, StefanAVFC said:

"Pirlo clone"?

why is that people need to resort to ridiculous, condescending comments? 

All im seeing here is one side saying that Westwood has started well and is worth keeping  and the other side is adamant he's shit and making sarcastic remarks. 

If people were saying he's amazing, pirlo-esque etc I'd get the ridicule but literally nobody is. 

In this case it was because it was claimed people who could not see his greatness were uneducated in the art of football, and thus I replied in sort.

But I'm sure you already read that part without commenting on it.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

"Pirlo clone"?

All im seeing here is one side saying that Westwood has started well and is worth keeping  and the other side is adamant he's shit and making sarcastic remarks. 

If people were saying he's amazing, pirlo-esque etc I'd get the ridicule but literally nobody is. 

You've forgot the completely ludicrous side that suggests him being shit has absolutely nothing to do with him, but others around him.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

"Pirlo clone"?

He hasn't started well. He's been as anonymous and ineffective as he's always been. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, AntrimBlack said:

And furthermore, he has a timid, powder-puff tackle when he does occasionally decide to tackle, but on occasions he puts in a sneaky, nasty, cowardly tackle.

I dislike that about him.

This doesn't seem at all like Westwood from his time here to be honest. He's not the strongest in the tackle but I think he's done a decent defensive covering job for us so far this season. I don't think I have ever actually seen him put in a tackle which I would describe as nasty or cowardly and he doesn't seem that type of player at all to me. If you have any examples of this then I'd be genuinely interested because he's the last person I'd expect to be accused of this really.

I think he's doing perfectly fine so far this season. If he drops to the bench below Tshibola and Jedinak then I think we'll have a very good midfield at this level and he can still do a job when necessary.

4 hours ago, Delphinho123 said:

I'm not his biggest fan and ultimately he's probably not good enough for where we want to be.

That said, I think he has done OK this season. This is probably more down to the championship being his level but he has looked to get on the ball and keep the side moving forwards. 
If an offer of 5m+ came in for him then I might be tempted to sell but as things stand, he's certainly one we should look to keep unless we find a suitable replacement. 

I think hes seemed to do ok this year as hes played next to gardner and certainly not doing as bad as he is

1 hour ago, Grasshopper said:

As a CM one should be able to read the game - anticipate what is going to happen - therefore be in the right position. Positional sense. Tackle, Intercept, pass short (high %) see a progressive pass (middle-high %) Diagonal/Through/behind pass (middle % at least) Calmness on the ball, assureness in possession and an ability to cover/dominate the central area of the pitch.

Teams can afford a "young/inexperienced" player in midfield schooled & guided by a "beast" to learn all these traits on the job.

Westwood was a tidy player who needed a Boateng, McCann or Petrov to guide him, but that horse has bolted, so we are left with Westwood being a "not good at anything specific" from the above mentioned traits.

If we want to go places then we definately need better.

Situation dictated RDM to use the ones least scarred and reliable untill the squad was overhauled. DR X & RDM have obviously come to the conclusion that apart from a few exceptions "everyone can/must go".

So if/when we have DR X/RDM's 1st targets all in, I don't anticipate seeing the wonders of Westwood in a Villa shirt very often or even not at all.

Those floaty free-kicks & corners are thankfully a thing of the past.

Aside from covering/dominating the central area of the pitch (not sure how you'd determine it, but I don't see him dominating), he does literally all of those things - tackle, intercept, play short balls and play balls in to McCormack.

If Jedinak and Tshibola become our first choice central midfield pairing as many seem to want, I worry that we basically lose our ability to be calm on the ball in the middle of the park and pick a pass.

10 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Aside from covering/dominating the central area of the pitch (not sure how you'd determine it, but I don't see him dominating), he does literally all of those things - tackle, intercept, play short balls and play balls in to McCormack.

If Jedinak and Tshibola become our first choice central midfield pairing as many seem to want, I worry that we basically lose our ability to be calm on the ball in the middle of the park and pick a pass.

What you meant to write was... I worry that we basically lose our ability to be calm on the ball in the middle of the park and pick a sideways or backwards pass.

• Like 2

Sorry, but since he's been here he hasn't shown (me imho) that he is capable of doing the following good enough to be regarded as a player who can help us not only achieve promotion, but also contribute to a successful return in the PL.

1- protect the back 4 by tackling interceptions or positioning preventing the opposition from playing through us

2- short medium & long passes (dribbles heaven forbid) progressing our play

3- domination and covering the midfield so that we as a team dominate games

4- free kicks, corners and play that creates chances/goals

Westwood is a Makelele without the

M.A.K.E.L.E.L.E

Edited by Grasshopper

52 minutes ago, wilko154 said:

What you meant to write was... I worry that we basically lose our ability to be calm on the ball in the middle of the park and pick a sideways or backwards pass.

By association, we'll lose that too!

28 minutes ago, Grasshopper said:

Sorry, but since he's been here he hasn't shown (me imho) that he is capable of doing the following good enough to be regarded as a player who can help us not only achieve promotion, but also contribute to a successful return in the PL.

1- protect the back 4 by tackling interceptions or positioning preventing the opposition from playing through us

2- short medium & long passes (dribbles heaven forbid) progressing our play

3- domination and covering the midfield so that we as a team dominate games

4- free kicks, corners and play that creates chances/goals

Westwood is a Makelele without the

M.A.K.E.L.E.L.E

1. Generally I agree, this season (so far) he's doing well at this. 

2. He definitely does this (not the dribbling). Can't remember which game it was, but he played a lovely ball in to McCormack who then found Grealish out wide, who hit a weak shot at the keeper. Exactly what is needed from him. 

3. "Dominate" in what regard? Aerially and pushing people off the ball? Absolutely not, I wouldn't expect that either (look at him!). Covering the midfield? He's easily our hardest working midfielder. 

4. He's definitely assisted with corners (they got dismissed as not assists because they were from corners) but yes, he's no longer our set piece taker and McCormack looks better. 

But yes, he's obviously not a World Class midfielder. 

I just don't see the point of this debate. I see Westwood as good player to have in the overall squad which I suspect is exactly where RDM is based on who we have signed and who we might sign for the overall midfield.

i don't think Westwood is a world beater, in my opinion, but it's very difficult to gauge him given the car crash midfield we have had the last few seasons. I will happily judge him on this season in a much better midfield.