Ashley Westwood

Nabby

5 hours ago, KentVillan said:

Westwood is the kind of player who joins a team together with good positioning, sensible passes, a cool head, intelligent game management, and overall reliability. Players like that will look good when the team is going well, and poor when the team is struggling. The idea that getting rid of Westwood will fix Villa is slightly preposterous and shows an ignorance of football (remember, it's not a PlayStation game). If we were pushing for Champions League then yeah, by all means beat up on him, but at our current level he is perfectly adequate and the problems lie elsewhere: wingers who don't create chances, strikers who don't score goals, defenders who make mistakes... it's not that complicated.

Oh, its not a PlayStation game. Well in that case I hope we keep westwood for ever. 

He's not good enough for me. Gana offers a lot more protection to our back four playing as a defensive midfielder than Westwood ever did. Now Westwood is playing further forward it has really highlighted his limitations as a footballer to me.

7 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

A load of utter shite. As per usual. You have no idea whether 35-40% of passes backwards is good or bad, you've just assumed it's bad because it suits your agenda (and it's 34% by the way).

Here's a list of the proportion of backwards passes some other midfielders made in their fixtures today:

David Silva (38%)

Kevin De Bruyne (51%)

Yaya Toure (42%)

Fernando (38%)

Delph (34%)

Yohan Cabaye (42%)

Joe Ledley (40%)

James McArthur (43%)

Moussa Dembele (37%)

Eric Dier (32%)

Erik Lamela (56%)

Deli Alli (34%)

Christian Eriksen (50%)

Yann M'Vila (25%)

Lee Cattermole (50%)

Adam Johnson (45%)

Danny Graham (50%)

Jon Obi Mikel (25%)

Nemanja Matic (38%)

Willian (50%)

Cesc Fabregas (25%)

Pedro (50%)

Besic (45%)

Gareth Barry (30%)

Ross Barkley (36%)

Aaron Lennon (41%)

Kevin Mirallas (39%)

That's everyone who was classed as some sort of midfielder who played in Man City, Chelsea and Tottenham's fixtures today, including their opponents.
Of those players, according to your benchmark of "not good enough", which we'll take to be Westwood's mark of 34%, only Yann M'Vila, Eric Dier, Cesc Fabregas and Gareth Barry beat it. Players such as David Silva, Yaya Toure, Nemanja Matic, Yohan Cabaye and Christian Eriksen are, by your definition, passing the ball backwards too much and are not good en

The 'not good enough' comment was an overall he's not good enough statement. He can pass the ball backwards as much as he likes providing he contributes going forward. He doesn't.

It's ok highlighting Eriksen and Silva etc but they offer something to the team.

Ashley westwood hasn't done anything in 4 years.

He's not good enough for me. Gana offers a lot more protection to our back four playing as a defensive midfielder than Westwood ever did. Now Westwood is playing further forward it has really highlighted his limitations as a footballer to me.

A condom with a hole in offers more protection then Westwood!

I find it odd that Westwood 'passes backwards and sideways'. Whereas Sanchez and Gana pass it to the opposition and seem to get off lightly.

The midfield is imbalanced and Westwood can give it balance.

Like Gana, he'd benefit from playing next to a decent central defensive midfielder.

The way I see it, we need an imposing defensive midfielder, which would then allow Westwood to knit things together, alongside Veretout, and give Veretout a license to get forward a bit more than Westwood.

Westwood keeps the ball for the team, it's not coincidence in my opinion that when Sanchez gets injured and Westwood comes into the team we keep the ball better which helps us grind out some results.

Westwood passes backward when he's in his own half , he look OK when were in possession but winning the ball or 50/50 he's next to useless. I reckon he would look world class for Arsenal but when u have your back against the wall he's not the player I want to see on the pitch 

1 minute ago, tinker said:

Westwood passes backward when he's in his own half , he look OK when were in possession but winning the ball or 50/50 he's next to useless. I reckon he would look world class for Arsenal but when u have your back against the wall he's not the player I want to see on the pitch 

I reckon he would be a complete liability for Arsenal

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Woodytom said:

The 'not good enough' comment was an overall he's not good enough statement. He can pass the ball backwards as much as he likes providing he contributes going forward. He doesn't.

Don't move the goalposts. YOU said

11 hours ago, Woodytom said:

So stats show that around 35-40% of Westwood's passes are backwards. Not good enough. 

It could have been 5%, it could have been 90%, you would have said it was "not good enough" regardless.

Sometimes you have a point in here. This time you're talking utter shite. At least hold your hands up and admit it when somebody clearly shows you're talking bollocks.

Edited by Stevo985
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, tinker said:

No he wouldn't. That's an exaggeration.

He's an ok player, and he's fine being used as he's being used right now. A squad player who will come and fill in when we have injuries. I think it's clear that he's not in our long term first team plans, but for the moment he's fine for being a squad player. The abuse he gets in here continues to be completely astonishing. 

18 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Don't move the goalposts. YOU said

It could have been 5%, it could have been 90%, you would have said it was "not good enough" regardless.

Sometimes you have a point in here. This time you're talking utter shite. At least hold your hands up and admit it when somebody clearly shows you're talking bollocks.

I'm not holding no hands up. I always do when I'm wrong.

On this occasion you've misinterpreted it or more to the point, I've poorly worded it. 

It wouldnt make a difference what % he passed it backwards no. That's because I know the other % would be ineffective dross.

If it would make no difference, then why did you specifically mention it? :crylaugh:

I don't see how "So stats show that around 35-40% of Westwood's passes are backwards. Not good enough." can be misinterpreted.

digging.gif

Edited by Stevo985

15 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

If it would make no difference, then why did you specifically mention it? :crylaugh:

I don't see how "So stats show that around 35-40% of Westwood's passes are backwards. Not good enough." can be misinterpreted.

digging.gif

Because it had been previously mentioned by other posters........yourself in fact. 

38 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

No he wouldn't. That's an exaggeration.

He's an ok player, and he's fine being used as he's being used right now. A squad player who will come and fill in when we have injuries. I think it's clear that he's not in our long term first team plans, but for the moment he's fine for being a squad player. The abuse he gets in here continues to be completely astonishing. 

Well I haven't abused him...have I? Just pointed out what I perceive to be his strengths and weaknesses. His commitment can't be knocked   he looked knackered towards the end of yesterdays game. 

10 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

A load of utter shite. As per usual. You have no idea whether 35-40% of passes backwards is good or bad, you've just assumed it's bad because it suits your agenda (and it's 34% by the way).

Here's a list of the proportion of backwards passes some other midfielders made in their fixtures today:

David Silva (38%)

Kevin De Bruyne (51%)

Yaya Toure (42%)

Fernando (38%)

Delph (34%)

Yohan Cabaye (42%)

Joe Ledley (40%)

James McArthur (43%)

Moussa Dembele (37%)

Eric Dier (32%)

Erik Lamela (56%)

Deli Alli (34%)

Christian Eriksen (50%)

Yann M'Vila (25%)

Lee Cattermole (50%)

Adam Johnson (45%)

Danny Graham (50%)

Jon Obi Mikel (25%)

Nemanja Matic (38%)

Willian (50%)

Cesc Fabregas (25%)

Pedro (50%)

Besic (45%)

Gareth Barry (30%)

Ross Barkley (36%)

Aaron Lennon (41%)

Kevin Mirallas (39%)

That's everyone who was classed as some sort of midfielder who played in Man City, Chelsea and Tottenham's fixtures today, including their opponents.
Of those players, according to your benchmark of "not good enough", which we'll take to be Westwood's mark of 34%, only Yann M'Vila, Eric Dier, Cesc Fabregas and Gareth Barry beat it. Players such as David Silva, Yaya Toure, Nemanja Matic, Yohan Cabaye and Christian Eriksen are, by your definition, passing the ball backwards too much and are not good enough.

It's worth clarifying that I've already said Westwood didn't play very well today. But I thought we'd debunked this nonsense that he passes backwards too much months ago. Now people are just literally making up their own benchmarks to show he's passing backwards too much :D 

Interesting the players you picked there.  90% play in the final 25% of the field where the only pass is backwards when pressured.  The majority get goals week in week out to.  When you are taking the ball off the CB's your percentage of backward passes should be lot less than that of an attacking mid

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

So you took a stat, converted it (incorrectly) into a percentage, but it had nothing to do with the point you were making?

Dig

Dig

Dig

No. I took a stat that you highlighted. Converted it incorrectly tho I haven't been sad enough to use a calculator. I then highlighted that I didn't see how that stat, when compared against other shit midfielders like Gana n gil proved anything against the fact that Westwood is shit.

Which has been my point for 4 years.