Ashley Westwood

Nabby

Did you watch the first half? We were the better team, he made a few decent tackles and played some good forward passes that set us on the attack. You said no matter what you would never change you're opinion of him so I won't waste my time replying to you again.

Edited by Bunnski

I never said that in fact I highlighted that he was outstanding on Sunday so where you lot get this nonsense from is beyond me?

Yeah I saw the first half. I saw a couple of tackles and a few passes as you say: big wow!! Actually looking for a bit more tbh.

He had a quiet first 20 minutes, but came into the game more as it went on, and in a game where we again controlled the midfield for good parts of the game, he played his part.  Plus he doesn't make game-losing lapses like Sanchez does.

• Like 3

Standard Westwood performance, but since we lost we're seeing a lot of the "he offers nothing" stuff again. This thread is so weird.

On topic, those little reverse forward passes he makes into Grealish/Benteke are so crucial to most of our attacks. He's the only one in our side who sees those consistently.

Average game from a water carrier

He's not in the side to make marauding runs from midfield get into the oppositions box and score he's there to keep the ball moving

He's never going to do anything flashy because that isn't his role

Marshalled well and played some nice balls through their midfield - usually to Grealish. Got forward quite a bit too, which helped with our press and retaining possession.

Thought it was harsh bringing him off, thinking it should have been Sanchez at the time.

There will always be fans who criticise the Westwoods of the world, because they aren't exciting and therefore 'don't do anything'

If we had Matic, or Carrick, or Lucas, or Coquelin - people would be saying the same. It's the role not the player. People wouldn't admit it now, but some said the same about Petrov.

He's a footballer's footballer

• Like 1

There will always be fans who criticise the Westwoods of the world, because they aren't exciting and therefore 'don't do anything'

If we had Matic, or Carrick, or Lucas, or Coquelin - people would be saying the same. It's the role not the player. People wouldn't admit it now, but some said the same about Petrov.

He's a footballer's footballer

Some did say it about petrov. I didn't, I opened up a thread saying how I thought people were wrong to slate petrov after he bagged at palace in the cup.

I notice what petrov did. As well as Carrick and the others you mention. They actually do something. Hence why they play for the top teams.

Claiming that Westwood is the same type of midfielder as Matić is absolutely ludicrous.

Who's done that then? 

None of the players I mentioned are the same and that isn't what I said at all if you read properly, but they all have similar roles to play for their teams. Protect the back four, pass it to the players who can damage the opposition. They may do it differently, but the role is similar none the less. 

And if we had Matic, I guarantee you there would be people on here complaining that he didn't effect the game enough. 

• Like 2

If Ashley Westwood's job is to protect the back four and pass it to the players to cause damage then he has undoubtedly done an abysmal job at that. The tables show that, the results show that, the chances created show that and I've no idea why people still try to argue otherwise.