Ashley Westwood

Nabby

I don't think anyone is trying to claim he is vital.

Here is just one example: though I appreciate the word vital might not be used -

His previous 2 seasons he was a really important player for us.

Right? I'm not sure what your point is?

My original point argues that he has never been a vital/important player for us to any great extent. I'm not saying people are on here saying he's vital/important right at this moment, I'm disagreeing that he has been at all since he arrived. (Which is what people are saying).

I wasn't arguing your original point. I don't tend to pay much attention to your posts in here any more as you've openly admitted you are too harsh on Westwood, so there's little point in debating them to be honest. If your original point was that he's never been important for us then that's fine. Good for you. But I wasn't referencing your original point so it's not relevant.

It was you who quoted my post (which wasn't in response to your "original point") saying that nobody thinks he IS vital to our team, with a quote of somebody saying that he WAS important. I assume you were trying to prove me wrong with that.

Putting aside the fact that "vital" and "important" aren't the same thing, my point was nobody thinks he is vital to our team NOW. Present tense.

Bunnski's quote said that he WAS important in the previous two seasons. Past tense.

Our quotes aren't contradictory. He has been important to us in the past. Our midfield has improved since then and he is no longer vital to us.

Fair enough.

Don't really see why me being over harsh on Westwood has anything to do with it nor do I see why it's a reason to ignore my posts.

Also, you make it sound like I made a statement that i would go out of my way to be over harsh on him for the rest of time.

If I recall, I said something like 'perhaps I've been overly harsh recently'. Can't remember.

Either way, those who didn't rate Westwood were probably right not to. After all, he's been undeniably poor this season and it's those who rated him's opinions that have somewhat altered rather than those who didn't.

So perhaps I wasn't harsh at all. Perhaps I was pretty much on the money.

You said you over criticised him because you didn't like him or something to that effect.

Which is fine, but as a result I tend to ignore your posts as they obviously won't be balanced.

I only brought it up because you made it sound like I was replying to your point, but I wasn't.

I don't see who you were replying to then? As I mentioned him not being vital, then pretty much below that you said 'you didn't think anyone was saying he is vital'??

If you were replying to anyone at all?? Though it would be a pretty random comment to come out with in no particular response to anyone (especially given that I had just suggested otherwise).

I may have said I'm not a fan of 'his type of player', though I can safely say I have nothing against him at all.

Looking towards next season I'm hoping we're going to be looking at better players than the likes of Westwood when we're picking our strongest 11.

As a back up player he has his uses but whether he would accept that role is another thing.

Westwood is one of those players that is always neat and tidy on the ball and has a good touch, but doesn't really do much to affect the game! Defensively he is too slow and too weak so get bypassed to easily, playing him protecting the back four is like using a paper condom! Going forward he plays too safe and predictable to really create. On the odd occasion when he has actually taken a game by the scruff of the neck he's looked brilliant! Think we should loan him out next season and bring in another strong defensive midfielder!

Westwood is one of those players that is always neat and tidy on the ball and has a good touch, but doesn't really do much to affect the game! Defensively he is too slow and too weak so get bypassed to easily, playing him protecting the back four is like using a paper condom! Going forward he plays too safe and predictable to really create. On the odd occasion when he has actually taken a game by the scruff of the neck he's looked brilliant! Think we should loan him out next season and bring in another strong defensive midfielder!

Thanking this post for Westwood's performance today.  Always kept himself positioned in front of the back four and was quick to close down Liverpool attacks when the ball was played to the edge of the box (once to tackle Sterling, once to block a Coutinho shot in particular).

Different level to Sanchez in a 4-4-2, and now playing better in a central trio - plus just so comfortable on the ball.  I'd hope Sanchez doesn't get back in, to be honest.  Westwood and Cleverley provided the perfect foil for Delph to be more expressive and the energy in the middle of the park was superb.

Welcome back Ashley.

Edited by bobzy