Ashley Westwood

Nabby

Never been a huge fan and think he's very overrated on here by some.

I'd have liked him to play over Sanchez but that's more to do with how poor Sanchez has been.

I'd say Westwood being a consistent player under Lambert was one of the reasons we've struggled so much.

If he was to leave, how much do we think he'd go for?

English, young (ish), played close to 100 Prem games with the majority leading to him receiving praise (especially in Lambert's first season). I'd be confident of us getting upwards of £5m/£6m, personally.

If he was to leave, how much do we think he'd go for?

English, young (ish), played close to 100 Prem games with the majority leading to him receiving praise (especially in Lambert's first season). I'd be confident of us getting upwards of £5m/£6m, personally.
How much did Livermore go for from Spurs to Hull? I consider Westwood to be of a similar quality.

I remember Sherwood stating he wants players on the pitch doing stuff, and he doesn't want individuals in the team who have no role and just keep things ticking over. At the time I thought it was aimed at Westwood, think I was right.

I remember Sherwood stating he wants players on the pitch doing stuff, and he doesn't want individuals in the team who have no role and just keep things ticking over. At the time I thought it was aimed at Westwood, think I was right.

Source?

Source?

It was a while ago now, I will have a look to see if I can find an article mate!

I remember it. I remember thinking that he meant it as a "football is simple, let the players play, don't pigeon hole them" kind of thing. I didn't think it was a specific dig at Westwood, though he did cross my mind.

I like Westwood, he's a neat and toddy e player. But rather than absence making my heart grow fonder I have associated him with the slow, plodding, soul destroying football we played under Lambert. He was good against the baggies mind and deserves a chance to show us what he can do, rather than what he was restricted to doing, as much as anyone else.

That said, if the manager is not seeing it in training then que Sera.

A likeable player but unfortunately in 3 seasons he hasn't kicked on from when he first joined, not forward thinking or aggressive enough to play in a midfield 2 which Sherwood is likely to play.

Wouldn't surprise me to see him move on but lets be honest if we are to move away from these constant relegation battles we need better players than Westwood.

He reads the game well, though, and retains possession.  That is exactly the kind of player you want in a midfield 2 - especially when the other one is Fabian Delph.

Would be a blow to lose him imo - but fine if he's replaced by better.  If our central pairing for next season is still Delph and Sanchez then I'm slightly concerned.

Edited by bobzy

Odd by Sherwood if true.

Very tidy with the ball and a fantastic squad option at the very least. Also, he's played in 3 wins under Sherwood (seeing as most class Leicester as a Sherwood game)

Another slightly odd decision if this is true (in addition to Gil)

Well, hopefully he's got better players lined up, starting with Cleverley, who can do what Westwood does, as well as being a lot more dynamic with the ball of late.  I therefore don't think it's that odd, nor do I think that Westwood would probably want to settle for being an occasional squad player in any case.  If he does go, I'd wish him all the best.  He's never let anybody down, but probably isn't good enough if we want to progress.

I would not be to disappointed if it is true that he is to be off loaded come the end of the season. Very average player in my opinion.Can not see a queue of Premier teams coming in for him.

I'd say the 'not creative enough' reason given in the article in conjecture. Not that he is as creative as some make out but the issue is that he lacks a rounded game. By that I mean in terms of defensive/physical attributes and mobility.

Cleverley does possess these and seemingly is better suited to the high-intensity football Sherwood wants to implement. Sánchez lacks the mobility to play in a midfield-two but at least offers a genuine defensive-midfielder option for certain games.

We have no real need for a midfielder who's only real plus point is possession retention.

Another technical player being snubbed by sherwood. It's all well and good having players who play 90 miles an hour and are full of energy but we should have a plan b for games when we need to hold onto the ball more and grind out some results. Westwood and Gil are our 2 most technical players and should without doubt have a place in the squad at the very least. Not happy if what's been written is true but hopefully it's sherwood trying to challenge Westwood between now and the end of the season to step up a bit more.

• Like 1

Would like to see Sherwood work with him and develop the attacking side of his game, rather than letting him go.

Considering where he came from and the situation the club has been in for the past few seasons, he has done ok imo.

Vastly underrated from a technical perspective, has a lovely touch and an eye for a pass.

Like others his development has probably stalled a bit, again mainly due to the situation and pressure of another relegation battle.

There is nothing wrong with a player that keeps things 'ticking over' in the middle of the park, if those around him can do something with it when he gives it them. Just needs to be a bit braver and more dynamic with his passing imo.

• Like 2

I'd say the 'not creative enough' reason given in the article in conjecture. Not that he is as creative as some make out but the issue is that he lacks a rounded game. By that I mean in terms of defensive/physical attributes and mobility.

Cleverley does possess these and seemingly is better suited to the high-intensity football Sherwood wants to implement. Sánchez lacks the mobility to play in a midfield-two but at least offers a genuine defensive-midfielder option for certain games.

We have no real need for a midfielder who's only real plus point is possession retention.

He does more than just retain possession though and despite being played too deep he still has the best key pass stat of all our midfield or at least he did last time I checked. He had close to 2 key passes per game last season. He has been played too deep for the majority of his time here and would influence games a lot more if he had the luxury Sanchez playing behind him doing the dirty work. He is not a defensive midfielder.