Ashley Westwood

Nabby

Westwood is clearly out of form and should be dropped, but he also isn't helped by our "tactic" and the players around him.

We play a 4-3-3 because we do not have any wide players (that Lambert likes anyway). 

The midfield 3 is composed of 3 small/weak players who doesn't compliment each other at all and who doesn't seem to have very clear roles (that they are suited to anyway). They offer very little going forward or defending.

The attack 3 consists of 3 players who all really are central strikers and quite often move into the middle making us very narrow and create huge areas for the opposing team.

Our only wide players are the full backs Luna & Bacuna/Lowton and they are not good enough to do the Ashley Cole/Zabaleta job and so we are left unorganiced in defence and lacking in offence.

I see what Lambert want's us to do (kinda) but we just doesn't have quality of players to pull it of, so we end up chasing the ball and clearing it towards Benteke hoping he can work some magic

Edited by sne

I noticed something in his game vs Everton that I have not noticed before: He drops off defensively.

That is, he doesn't stick with his opposite number. He drops 10 yards and gives space to see what they are going to do. If they pass, he then doesn't track that player, he just drops to a zonally defensive position.

I don't think that helps the defensive pairing behind him. It simply gives the opposition the time to consider their next pass. I'd prefer a DM that man-marks - like Delph, who will harry his target and not give him a moments peace.

Am I imagining this? Was this simply because Everton had more bodies in midfield? Or is this his usual habit?

I think this has been evident throughout his Villa career.

I noticed something in his game vs Everton that I have not noticed before: He drops off defensively.

That is, he doesn't stick with his opposite number. He drops 10 yards and gives space to see what they are going to do. If they pass, he then doesn't track that player, he just drops to a zonally defensive position.

I don't think that helps the defensive pairing behind him. It simply gives the opposition the time to consider their next pass. I'd prefer a DM that man-marks - like Delph, who will harry his target and not give him a moments peace.

Am I imagining this? Was this simply because Everton had more bodies in midfield? Or is this his usual habit?

I think this has been evident throughout his Villa career.

That's why I usually say , playing with only 2 midfielders by us is crazy ..

Well although we still haven't tried Delph and Sylla pairing ..

But still .. I think we need to keep 3 in the middle to give us more confidence defensively !

Westwood is clearly out of form and should be dropped, but he also isn't helped by our "tactic" and the players around him.

We play a 4-3-3 because we do not have any wide players (that Lambert likes anyway). 

The midfield 3 is composed of 3 small/weak players who doesn't compliment each other at all and who doesn't seem to have very clear roles (that they are suited to anyway). They offer very little going forward or defending.

The attack 3 consists of 3 players who all really are central strikers and quite often move into the middle making us very narrow and create huge areas for the opposing team.

Our only wide players are the full backs Luna & Bacuna/Lowton and they are not good enough to do the Ashley Cole/Zabaleta job and so we are left unorganiced in defence and lacking in offence.

I see what Lambert want's us to do (kinda) but we just doesn't have quality of players to pull it of, so we end up chasing the ball and clearing it towards Benteke hoping he can work some magic

I agree that we have too many square pegs in round holes, but that is what transfer windows are for.

One moment in the game summed up Westwood and our general issues.

We broke with the ball and Westwood was heading towards goal but then just slowed down he wasn't able to drive forward he dithered on the ball the, other 2 CM where behind him so  he looked to the wing ,nothing when someone did get wide he played a ball and the move broke down.

We broke with the ball and Westwood was heading towards goal but then just slowed down he wasn't able to drive forward he dithered on the ball the, other 2 CM where behind him so  he looked to the wing ,nothing when someone did get wide he played a ball and the move broke down.

That's not summing up Westwood as much as it's summing up our problems as a team going forward. Our forwards were up front and well marked, not moving, and while there was miles of space over on the right wing, where was Lowton? Hanging back defending against West Ham's zero strikers. Westwood dithered on the ball because there was no available pass, and no one was willing to make the move and offer themselves to receive it. Delph might have dribbled past a few guys and tried a shot, but Westwood's not really a dribbler. In fact I don't even know what he was doing that far upfield! It's the furthest forward I've seen him this season.

Westwood did finally play the ball wide - to Weimann, who was about three yards offside. The ball went out for a throw.

As far as his performance yesterday, I would say "anonymous" is about the kindest thing I could say about it. Where KEA and Sylla gave the ball away at what I would call an alarming rate, Westwood only gave it away at what I would call a concerning rate. His corners were poor as usual.

That's not summing up Westwood as much as it's summing up our problems as a team going forward. Our forwards were up front and well marked, not moving, and while there was miles of space over on the right wing, where was Lowton? Hanging back defending against West Ham's zero strikers. Westwood dithered on the ball because there was no available pass, and no one was willing to make the move and offer themselves to receive it. Delph might have dribbled past a few guys and tried a shot, but Westwood's not really a dribbler. In fact I don't even know what he was doing that far upfield! It's the furthest forward I've seen him this season.

Westwood did finally play the ball wide - to Weimann, who was about three yards offside. The ball went out for a throw.

As far as his performance yesterday, I would say "anonymous" is about the kindest thing I could say about it. Where KEA and Sylla gave the ball away at what I would call an alarming rate, Westwood only gave it away at what I would call a concerning rate. His corners were poor as usual.

We had one corner in the entire match.

He still shouldnt be taking the corners though. Extremely poor at them. How hard is it really to take one. Im sure bacuna could wip in a good one the odd time

He still shouldnt be taking the corners though. Extremely poor at them. How hard is it really to take one. Im sure bacuna could wip in a good one the odd time

We're not inventive enough from corners.

His corners were poor as usual.

His one corner was so poor that it made me think we had several poor corners. ;)

and he did one great corner last week but obviously that isn' enough

Never saw the game today. Was he his usual average self today again?

Average would be quite generous.

Not just me then that doesn't get the hype this guy gets?

• Like 1

Never saw the game today. Was he his usual average self today again?

Average would be quite generous.

Not just me then that doesn't get the hype this guy gets?

I don't think his job in the team is to do anything special

He seems to me to be nothing more than a land crab water carrier.