Joe Bennett

Si.

Lost the ball a couple of times in dangerous areas (I mean, who didn't?) but for the most part, he did alright. Walcott didn't get much joy down the wing. Agree that it was probably his best performance for us.

I think we're playing a lot better when we have a flat back 4.  The wing back system shipped in the goals that have left our goal difference in absolute tatters.

I suppose this was his 'best' game for us but was still very poor.

First half he was much deeper than the rest of the back 4 (fair play he was giving himself a yard against Walcott), but due to this Corzola and Wilshere were able to get in behind Lowton as Bennett was playing them onside.

His distribution was awful.  Twice in the first half Gabby laid it off to him, spun away from Jenkinson and just needed Bennett to ping the ball into the open space, and twice he sliced it out for a throw.  

He just lacks any sort of confidence on the ball, he passed it two or three times back to Clarke/Baker when they clearly didn't want the ball, I think the only notable thing he did was a dribble into the centre of the park where he bought a free kick with some very good quick feet.

I also think Gabby deserves a lot of praise yesterday for a disciplined performance against Walcott.  He helped Bennett a lot.

Basically Bennett just needs to man up, get some confidence and start having a go when he gets the ball.  If he starts believing he's good enough than he might come good, I can understand why he lacks confidence though after some of the performances he's put in.

He has all the attributes to be a top class LB/wing back.He's quick, has good feet, a good cross, energetic, and likes a tackle.

He is only 21, its his 1st season in the Prem, and its no coincedence his 2 best games were against Walcott and Lennon when he had to concentrate.He needs to improve his concentration levels, and needs a bit of help on the field about when to tackle and when to stand off.

He will be a better player for us than Lowton, who i think is average at best.

• Like 1

First half he was much deeper than the rest of the back 4 (fair play he was giving himself a yard against Walcott), but due to this Corzola and Wilshere were able to get in behind Lowton as Bennett was playing them onside.

His distribution was awful.  Twice in the first half Gabby laid it off to him, spun away from Jenkinson and just needed Bennett to ping the ball into the open space, and twice he sliced it out for a throw.  

He just lacks any sort of confidence on the ball, he passed it two or three times back to Clarke/Baker when they clearly didn't want the ball, I think the only notable thing he did was a dribble into the centre of the park where he bought a free kick with some very good quick feet.

I also think Gabby deserves a lot of praise yesterday for a disciplined performance against Walcott.  He helped Bennett a lot.

Basically Bennett just needs to man up, get some confidence and start having a go when he gets the ball.  If he starts believing he's good enough than he might come good, I can understand why he lacks confidence though after some of the performances he's put in.

I've read some rubbish about Bennett in this thread but this one tops the lot. We spent 65% of the game in our half, there were no outlets for the back four meaning they all gave it away at some time in the game. 

His distribution was awful. Twice in the first half Gabby laid it off to him, spun away from Jenkinson and just needed Bennett to ping the ball into the open space, and twice he sliced it out for a throw.

I also think Gabby deserves a lot of praise yesterday for a disciplined performance against Walcott. He helped Bennett a lot.

Basically Bennett just needs to man up, get some confidence and start having a go when he gets the ball. If he starts believing he's good enough than he might come good, I can understand why he lacks confidence though after some of the performances he's put in.

I've read some rubbish about Bennett in this thread but this one tops the lot. We spent 65% of the game in our half, there were no outlets for the back four meaning they all gave it away at some time in the game.

Yep, but, as always, Villa fans get it in their head whether or not a player is good and then cannot help but view him through those glasses from then on.

Bennett had a good game yesterday against a good to very good winger. That is the long and short of it.

• Like 1

Agree. We have to take every positive we can at the moment, if he can keep it up then that is good, nothing could be better really. It`s gonna take a lot more but he surprised me yesterday. 

But a lot of the hate has been justified, he has had several bad games, which is understandable. But for me that just enforces the concern for quality and experience. 

His distribution was awful. Twice in the first half Gabby laid it off to him, spun away from Jenkinson and just needed Bennett to ping the ball into the open space, and twice he sliced it out for a throw.

I also think Gabby deserves a lot of praise yesterday for a disciplined performance against Walcott. He helped Bennett a lot.

Basically Bennett just needs to man up, get some confidence and start having a go when he gets the ball. If he starts believing he's good enough than he might come good, I can understand why he lacks confidence though after some of the performances he's put in.

Yep, but, as always, Villa fans get it in their head whether or not a player is good and then cannot help but view him through those glasses from then on.

Bennett had a good game yesterday against a good to very good winger. That is the long and short of it.

There were outlets for the back four at times, I described two opportunities in my post, as viewed in person by myself, sitting on the half way line at the game.  We saw a lot of the ball in the first half, his distribution was poor.

Im not the sort of supporter who just 'hates' someone for the sake of it.  I described what I saw at the game.  I agreed it was probably his best game for us defensively (with Gabby doubling up on Walcott as Jenkinson was not too interested in the overlap), but when he had the opportunity to distribute he was poor - which according to my boro supporting mate is his key strength.

Again as I mentioned I hope this is due to having no confidence.

UTV

He did have a better game yesterday, so much so that Wenger switched Walcott to the left at half time, presumably to see if he would have better luck down that side.

Not sure how much this was just down to Walcott not being arsed. He had a very poor game.

Time alone will tell.

Thought he was very good on Saturday and am very pleased with that. He has had some shockers this season, a fair bit indeed, but there is a good player in there. This season was always going to be difficult after he didn't play a single minute of preseason for Boro or Villa. And adding to that it is never easy just being thrown into a side that is already facing its fair share of struggles. In time, I reckon we could have a decent backline in Lowton, Clark, Baker and Bennett. 

• 2 weeks later...
Â