Joe Bennett

Si.

Was easily outmuscled by opposition players last season. Grant Holt, in particular, comes to mind. The problem with Bennett when I saw him last season was that opposition managers would ask their battering ram forwards to play up against him, deliver balls to their forwards on Joe's flank to cause him trouble, and it worked quite often as Bennett struggled to contain them. 

His defensive positioning for the most part, at least seems to be there, but it's not much use for someone to get the positioning right, but still get easily beat in their position. Hopefully he's bulked up a little and is less easy to brush aside. 

Still a step-up over Luna though however, who always seems to be caught out of position!

Was easily outmuscled by opposition players last season. Grant Holt, in particular, comes to mind. The problem with Bennett when I saw him last season was that opposition managers would ask their battering ram forwards to play up against him, deliver balls to their forwards on Joe's flank to cause him trouble, and it worked quite often as Bennett struggled to contain them. 

His defensive positioning for the most part, at least seems to be there, but it's not much use for someone to get the positioning right, but still get easily beat in their position. Hopefully he's bulked up a little and is less easy to brush aside. 

Still a step-up over Luna though however, who always seems to be caught out of position!

How many full backs in the league wouldn't be outmuscled by Grant Holt, in fairness.

I would like to see Bennett given another chance. He got thrown in at the deep end and undoubtedly struggled last season. He was not helped by the attitude of the fans which I would be certain affected his confidence and hence his performances. One thing is for sure is he is a better footballer than Luna (but that is not saying much). Another way of looking at it is we have little to lose by trying him particularly as I very much doubt we will be signing another left back this window.

Bennett did well at the end of the season. I hope he is given time to get fully fit before being thrown in again.

Luna in my opinion is what we have seen. I can't see him getting better there is no talent.

Bennett I think can improve and was showing that.

I would like to see Bennett given another chance. He got thrown in at the deep end and undoubtedly struggled last season. He was not helped by the attitude of the fans which I would be certain affected his confidence and hence his performances. One thing is for sure is he is a better footballer than Luna (but that is not saying much). Another way of looking at it is we have little to lose by trying him particularly as I very much doubt we will be signing another left back this window.

Yep, I'm sure he'll show a similar level of improvement to all the rest of the lower league dross that Lambert's signed.

Oh no, actual competition for places that might mean both players up their game and try harder to get a first team spot. Woe is us.

Haha yes let's see.

Competition for a place or not a player has a limit due to their ability and we have 2 very limited players fighting for a lb position.

Yep, I'm sure he'll show a similar level of improvement to all the rest of the lower league dross that Lambert's signed.

I agree that Lambert has made some shocking signings and wasted some of the limited funds he has had. My point is Bennett deserves another chance and lets judge him then.

Behave Paul. Samuel was absolutely atrocious.

Funny how some remember JLS. Before he was afforded villa scapegoat status he was one of our better players!

I remember when he got the injury that seemed to take the edge off him he was an England player and folks were worried about how we would cope without him.

Bennett was poor for a long time. He came good with a few decent performances towards the end of the year. I hope he can build on that.

Luna is just poor so far. Aside from his debut.

Oh no, actual competition for places that might mean both players up their game and try harder to get a first team spot. Woe is us.

Haha yes let's see.

Competition for a place or not a player has a limit due to their ability and we have 2 very limited players fighting for a lb position.

At 22 and 23 and having very limited experience in the PL we should definitely write them off. 

Funny how some remember JLS. Before he was afforded villa scapegoat status he was one of our better players!

I remember when he got the injury that seemed to take the edge off him he was an England player and folks were worried about how we would cope without him.

He had a good start to his villa career but rapidly went downhill. 

It is a left back tradition for us. Warnock comes to mind.

It is a left back tradition for us. Warnock comes to mind.

Tbf Warnock was alright to start with but then he became progressively worse. He was awful to watch towards the end of his Villa career.

JLS had that purple patch which peaked at our 2-1 win at Charlton, where de la Cruz had got an express motorbike to the ground after some WC qualification exertions. Samuel scored from a beautiful move down the left side and then they missed a last minute penalty. One of the highlights of DOL’s first season. After the game I made the outrageous claim that Samuel was good enough for England. He promptly got the call up and then played zero minutes. Last seen in Iran.

Warnock’s highlight was probably his first appearance in the derby where we had a back line with three debutants. Amazing how quickly it descended into farce, though he did show that Clark is never a left back with the second half cameo against Wolves.

Â