Rino8

14 minutes ago, kurtsimonw said:

Is there a reason Dortmund finished 7th in his last season? It's seem pretty awful considering the squad he had.

There is a good article on it here - http://outsideoftheboot.com/2015/06/11/borussia-dortmund-what-went-wrong/

A better second half to the season saw Borussia Dortmund claw into the European places but there’s no doubt that the German giants struggled to match the success of earlier years in Jurgen Klopp’s last season in charge. While injuries played a big role in their troubles, it was far from the only reason says Constantin Eckner.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Must admit I'm surprised by their transfer dealings.

Wjindalum and Sadio Mane are streaky players...look good for 5 games and then go missing for other 5. And they've cost 70m between them.

Liverpool seem to pick up a lot of these decent players at midtable clubs who then can't step up consistantly at the top level e.g the other players they signed from Southampton and Benteke of course.

I just look at their squad and apart from likes of Sturridge and Coutinho it looks like a 7/8th premier league finishing team. Mingolet...Kolo Toure...Moreno....Lucas etc.

I honestly though Klopp would do a lot more with this summers window. Get in some top class players he's worked with before like Gotze and maybe have a bid of Aubameyang perhaps?

Don't see them troubling the top 4.

dont know a great deal about him but almost by default they've improved the keeper

to be fair he got the CBs playing at times last season, got rid of toure and skrtel, matip is a good player, dont know too much about the other CB theyve signed from augsburg, flanagan and gomez will give them a bit of depth, definitely need a LB but overall they've improved the defence

midfield, lucas and allen arent good enough anymore and will probably leave, they've got that serbian kid in, i personally really dont rate can but he's going to be a huge player for them, assume they'll play 4-2-3-1, milner /henderson / can in as the holding players..its ok, firmino, coutinho, lallana, mane as the 3 is good, not sure where wijnaldum fits in, assume in the 3 so i dont think they need him, they need a better player in the 2

benteke, sturridge, ings, origi in the 1, id expect balotelli and probably markovic to leave, benteke to palace has gone quiet, with sturridge's injury record im not seeing a 20 goal striker amongst that lot

the problem is the jump from where they are to the top 4, dont think they've got enough personally, need a LB and a striker and a quality midfielder, id be surprised if they bought another midfielder after wijnaldum so they've failed there, wont get another striker in unless they can shift a couple and LB personally amavi isnt the answer for them, its too soon for him

1 hour ago, Genie said:

It does seem like Liverpool are working within a budget, maybe due to the investment going on at Anfield.

Looks like a year in the middle third to me.

I did think that but they've still spent 60m on two reasonable but not world class premier league players.

Is Klopp the german MON steering Liverpool to yet another 6th place finish they would've got if they'd just kept Rodgers....we shall soon find out.

Edited by VillaChris
  • Like 2

21 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

I did think that but they've still spent 60m on two reasonable but not world class premier league players.

Is Klopp the german MON steering Liverpool to yet another 6th place finish they would've got if they'd just kept Rodgers....we shall soon find out.

You might be right. I've said it several times, but he record is quite limited and has ups and downs. He's getting paid top dollar, let's see if he is as good as the hype. So far he's not done anything Rodgers wouldn't have done.

On 9.7.2016 at 16:52, TrentVilla said:

Yes they do, they also do what is best for the team, he went with the team rather than make the team fit the individual.

It think its a very weak argument using Benteke as evidence of his poor performance. 

As for you point re Dortmund, I won't counter that as you did so yourself :)

Benteke is for me not at all "evidence of his poor performance", there is no need for such evidence. This not being a dig against you, but: For heavens sake, they ended up 8th and no trophies, losing the European league final against opposition they really should have beat on neutral ground. Now, without CL and Europe at all, they will have to shop from lower shelves than a lot of clubs they do not want to compare themselves with, and they need to pay top dollar to bring second rate players. Of course the devine and self proclaimed best fans in the world always believe they are going to win everything and most players they sign are "world class" - most of them have no clue how far behind their club is. Klopp is interesting and amusing, I do not however think he is the second coming as most Liverpool fans seem to think as of today.  8th place in the league and most of their fans this is is the best thing since sliced bread - I do not understand why. 

Edited by Hughes
  • Like 1

Listening to Talk Sport this morning, Alan Brazil had some Journalists on (i didn't catch his name) who thinks plop will win the league this year. Brazil didn't agree but Micky Quinn backed up this fella saying they could do it this year because Pep and José will take time to settle. :crylaugh:

6 minutes ago, av1 said:

Listening to Talk Sport this morning, Alan Brazil had some Journalists on (i didn't catch his name) who thinks plop will win the league this year. Brazil didn't agree but Micky Quinn backed up this fella saying they could do it this year because Pep and José will take time to settle. :crylaugh:

If everyone is shit, Liverpool could win it. Bit like Leicester. Not happening 2 years in a row.

• Like 1

Can't believe they just paid that much for wijnaldum. People are saying he will be played as a CM, but he struggled heavily at CM for Newcastle. Wijnaldum was at his best on the wing, but Liverpool have a lot of people for that spot. 

Wijnaldum is a classic Liverpool signing of recent years. overpriced, lightweight and glimpse of talent but no consistency and signed from a team with striped jerseys

Mane, Lallana, Lovren, Wijnaldum. players you sign for a top 10 battle

• Like 3

They are very far down the pecking order in the football world now aren't they. Having to overpay for players like Mane and Wijnaldum. Klavan and Karius are solid signings but not title challenging ones. Sorry Pool, not this year either.

How many big lads in the centre did Dortmund use? Though, he did like a big 'un up front. Such a shame that tekers is a lazy lump!

These are solid signings... money doesn't matter in this climate so what are pool to do?

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

Wijnaldum is a classic Liverpool signing of recent years. overpriced, lightweight and glimpse of talent but no consistency and signed from a team with striped jerseys

Mane, Lallana, Lovren, Wijnaldum. players you sign for a top 10 battle

Spot on that. I was going to post similar...Liverpool are experts at signing players at mid table clubs who excel but don't have the mentality to step up and do it week in week out every week...classic case years back was Kewell who was brilliant for Leeds but didn't do much at Liverpool. Bellamy was another.

I just assumed with Klopp said to be this amazing manager who players would swim the channel to play for * (any british newspaper) they'd be in the market for players like Dani Alves, Gotze, Aubameyang.

Those sort of signings would make them title contenders.

They need to hope their a listers like Coutinho and Sturridge stay fit and hit amazing form like Suarez did in 13/14. That's the only feasible way they can challenge for the league. They are miles off imo.

Edited by VillaChris

15 hours ago, VillaChris said:

They need to hope their a listers like Coutinho and Sturridge stay fit and hit amazing form like Suarez did in 13/14. That's the only feasible way they can challenge for the league. They are miles off imo.

I'd still consider them more likely to have a season like Chelsea did this season than win the title.

• 2 weeks later...
Â