Rino8

6 minutes ago, PaulC said:

Lukaku is a bigger miss to Everton than Coutinho is to Liverpool. Tgey're going to get a couple of players in before the window closes. I think they will finish way ahead of everton myself. 

Won't disagree with the lukaku statement. Coutiniho is huge for Liverpool though. Massive loss and yes they may bring a couple in but will it pay off. My mate thinks I'm daft but I can honestly see Everton doing them this season.

Absolutely bonkers, £114m bid.... and then it's rejected :o

Didnt they buy him for about £8m.

Some of these deal this window are increasingly bizarre.

Coutinho situation is 'very difficult' - Klopp

Liverpool have rejected a third bid from Barcelona for Philippe Coutinho - believed to be in the region of £114m.

Last week, the Reds rejected a £90m bid from the Spanish giants for the 25-year-old Brazil attacking midfielder, who then submitted a transfer request.

Coutinho has missed the opening two games of Liverpool's season with a back injury, but the club has repeatedly stressed he is not for sale.

Despite that, Barca have previously said they are "close" to signing him.

http://m.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/40979106

Coutinho is worth that amount to Liverpool. Coutinho picked them up a lot of points last season. Without Coutinho, there is just no way they would have finished top 4 which is obviously worth a lot of money.

Plus even though Liverpool would get a lot of money for him, who could they get in the next 10 matches that would do the same job as Coutinho? I just don't see any top top players going to Liverpool. They are not an established champs league club at the moment. 

5 minutes ago, PaulC said:

It is ridiculous money but why should Liverpool sell at any price. if they can offer 70 mil for Keita they obviously don't need the money

Everybody needs money in football, otherwise they'd let the fans in free and not bother with sponsors.

£114m for him is stupid money. There must be far better options out there for that kind of money. 

The problem with these things is the buyers will keep coming back with more and more money. I'd love them to walk away and leave the Liverpool bean counters sweating over the stupid money they turned down.

Edited by Genie

They're obviously trying to pull Barca's pants down because they know they've just banked £200m for Neymar.

Then when they try and buy a replacement  it'll happen to them.

Bit like the TV money, clubs aren't actually any better off as it just pushes player fee and wage inflation through the roof.

4 hours ago, Genie said:

Everybody needs money in football, otherwise they'd let the fans in free and not bother with sponsors.

£114m for him is stupid money. There must be far better options out there for that kind of money. 

The problem with these things is the buyers will keep coming back with more and more money. I'd love them to walk away and leave the Liverpool bean counters sweating over the stupid money they turned down.

Yes but its only going to be regenerated into buying players who are probably going to be inferior to Coutinho. My point was they don't need to sell Coutinho. Whether or not they can keep hold of an unhappy player that's another matter 

23 hours ago, PaulC said:

My point was they don't need to sell Coutinho

But they'd be mad not to, especially at the prices being touted. There are plenty of good players out there. With £100m Liverpool could get 3 or 4 players that they badly need to improve their mediocre squad. If klopp has anything about him he should be happy to sell Coutinho as long as he gets the money to spend. Even if they have to wait until January to get the players in they would be better off in the long run. 

I'm not saying they would be able to attract Sanchez, but £70m probably convinces Arsenal sell, and there would still be £50m left in the kitty for a defender. The sale of Coutinho could make them much stronger. 

Coutinho is a great player no doubt, but he isn't a £120m player. The silly example i gave above shows that plop are being stupid. 

Coutinho has never done it at the top level so that fee is just outrageous. Seems like Liverpool are holding off due to the structure of the deal, it's reported £80m in installments, reaching over £100m based on some fairly unattainable criteria. Either way I hate Liverpool and I hate Barcelona. Hopefully Liverpool blow whatever money they get on a total flop whilst Barcelona continue to get steamrollered by Madrid for the next few years.

Edited by Dr_Pangloss

How much would Kane go for? He's unproven except for the Premier League where defences are crap. Still hasn't done it at international level. Is the Premier League a good yardstick for whether a player has proved himself or not?

7 hours ago, av1 said:

I'm not saying they would be able to attract Sanchez, but £70m probably convinces Arsenal sell, and there would still be £50m left in the kitty for a defender. The sale of Coutinho could make them much stronger. 

Coutinho is a great player no doubt, but he isn't a £120m player. The silly example i gave above shows that plop are being stupid. 

Doesn't work like that....if clubs know you have just set the benchmark for a players value you can bet your bottom dollar the selling clubs will do the same to Liverpool.....hope so anyway!

Just now, Nigel said:

Doesn't work like that....if clubs know you have just set the benchmark for a players value you can bet your bottom dollar the selling clubs will do the same to Liverpool.....hope so anyway!

Oh i agree. I doubt very much they would have turned down £90m if not for the knowledge that Barca have got £200m sat in the coffers. But £120m is imo way over the odds for Coutinho. 

I certainly agree with your point that they will get rinsed when looking to replace him. Even so, i stick by my point that if that £120m is used smartly, Liverpool could bring in a couple of players and be much stronger as a result. 

Â