Ron Vlaar

irreverentad

For Koeman to be talking the way he is, I think its obvious he's already spoken to Vlaar.

Disrespectful and unprofessional IMO.

Disrespectful from Vlaar too presuming this to be accurate as we'd need to go shopping late in the window.

Teams selling would therefore know we'd be desperate?

Doesn't sound good.  I find it hard to believe that we haven't spoken much to one of our most important players when he's coming into his last 12 months.  Although we don't seem to have offered grealish a deal and this makes me think we probably haven't started things with delph and gabby.

I hope he stays but if he goes then so be it. If it is to Southampton then I am sure they will pay over the odds for him. I'd imagine Lambert already has replacements in mind should he go.

In some ways we are perhaps fortunate that Ron isn't the glue that molds a solid defense together which should perhaps make him easier to replace. If he stays or goes with the defense likely to comprise Hutton, Cissokho, Senderos/Okore then even with Ron the only ones who played together would have been the couple of halves of football Vlaar and Okore played alongside each other.

I'd have to say if he pushes for a move to Southampton then he is a fool. Given the players they have lost in the summer and the change in manager it is sideways step for him at best and in terms of size of club a backwards one.

Edited by markavfc40

I have a bad feeling about this one.

As DCJonah says, Lambert isn't stupid, he'd have had a conversation. 

Also, if the response from that were negative, you aren't going to publically announce the fact. You're more likely to pretend to have no idea and secretly source a replacement. By saying "I don't know whether he'll be here next month", he's saying "Ron is available, but at a price, its up to either a) Ron to accept some terms which have been discussed, or B) He's available for X million, but we reserve the right to hang onto him for the final year."

I have no doubts, if noone offers enough cash, we'll hang onto him and he'd be a true professional. I think he's more likely to go to Man Utd than Southampton though.

I hope he stays but if he goes then so be it. If it is to Southampton then I am sure they will over the odds for him. I'd imagine Lambert already has replacements in mind should he go.

In some ways we are perhaps fortunate that Ron isn't the glue that molds a solid defense together which should perhaps make him easier to replace. If he stays or goes with the defense likely to comprise Hutton, Cissokho, Senderos/Okore then even with Ron the only ones who played together would have been the couple of halves of football Vlaar and Okore played alongside each other.

I'd have to say if he pushes for a move to Southampton then he is a fool. Given the players they have lost in the summer and the change in manager it is sideways step for him at best and in terms of size of club a backwards one.

Have you not seen the stats when he's out? We're not "lucky" at all. It may not be a solid defence but that doesn't mean he's not incredibly important to the team.

Only Villa would be retarded enough to sign a DM for nearly 5 mill then sell their best defender

The usual Villa one step forward two steps backward shuffle if it happens

Since when does signing a DM (a position we desperately need to fill) mean we won't sign a replacement CB if Vlaar goes?

Edited by Mantis

I hope he stays but if he goes then so be it. If it is to Southampton then I am sure they will pay over the odds for him. I'd imagine Lambert already has replacements in mind should he go.

Then again, they are flush with cash, they'd offer him vastly increased wages, are probably still much more fancied than us in the league. If we'd have been taken over, I reckon he'd have signed a new deal before now.

Personally, I still think the reason Benteke signed a new deal was on the promise of a takeover (+ Investment).

Southampton could be one of our rivals this season for the spot to avoid relegation so it would be very stupid to sell him there. It not only strengthens them it weakens up immensely looking at our other options.

I'd also rather not take the risk on getting a replacement in when we already know what Vlaar could do.

However the above could be totally useless if Vlaar himself wants to leave, player power at the end of the day will play a part.

Vlaar is a good player for us and for Holland. But he isn't oustanding. If we had a reliable and proven defensive unit, with good backup, I wouldn't be worried about selling and replacing him. However, our defence has been horrible, for years. He's the only player who showed consistency last season and we need the continuity of his performances to shore up our defence for this season.

We're better off utilising his experience for a season and letting him leave (should he wish to), than selling and potentially having a disastrous defence this season. I don't see Vlaar as the type who would piss and moan, I think he'd honour his contract if told to and play his heart out to get a good deal next season. 

Also, selling to who, let's face it, are now a rival of ours for the mid-lower table positions also would make little sense. Unless the fee was ridiculous (ie £12 million) and we could instantly get a comparable, younger replacement, it wouldn't make sense to sell him. 

If we sell him and we're related this season due a leaky defence, then even £30 million in the bank for Vlaar wouldn't be worth it.

Then again, they are flush with cash, they'd offer him vastly increased wages, are probably still much more fancied than us in the league. If we'd have been taken over, I reckon he'd have signed a new deal before now.

Personally, I still think the reason Benteke signed a new deal was on the promise of a takeover (+ Investment).

More because Spurs pulled the plug on the transfer as their manager wanted Soldado instead, otherwise Benteke would have been gone in a heartbeat

I hope he stays but if he goes then so be it. If it is to Southampton then I am sure they will over the odds for him. I'd imagine Lambert already has replacements in mind should he go.

Have you not seen the stats when he's out? We're not "lucky" at all. It may not be a solid defence but that doesn't mean he's not incredibly important to the team.

Only Villa would be retarded enough to sign a DM for nearly 5 mill then sell their best defender

The usual Villa one step forward two steps backward shuffle if it happens

Since when does signing a DM (a position we desperately need to fill) mean we won't sign a replacement CB if Vlaar goes?

Don't get me wrong i think we will get a replacement but i don't think it will be someone half as good as Vlaar especially for the peanuts Southampton are reportedly trying to get him for

Edited by AshVilla

Don't get me wrong i think we will get a replacement but i don't think it will be someone half as good as Vlaar especially for the peanuts Southampton are reportedly trying to get him for

But what's wrong with signing Sanchez? Regardless of what happens to Vlaar we desperately need a DM.

Unless they offer us mental money I don't really see what our incentive is to sell?

Yes he has a year left but if we get bought in that time we maybe in a better position to offer him a decent new deal as well as better prospects for the club progressing.

If we sell him for anything less than a crazy figure then it puts the club in greater danger of relegation which will be massively detrimental to Randy's investment.

If they do offer us crazy money then maybe we can spend that on a decent CB replacement and decent attacking option which may even strengthen the first 11 overall?

Who knows all speculation at this point, its Villa though so you know its going to be another heart attack inducing ride of a season.

Even if Lambert gets the full fee to spend, the question is whether he can find another centre-back not only of the same ability but also one who possesses the same leadership and organisational qualities.

Our manager has not given us any reason so far to suggest he himself is a good defensive coach. Lowton said in an interview last season (I'll try and find it later) that Vlaar was the one who basically kept the organisation. So if he leaves there is every reason to be concerned.

Nothing i totally agree that we need a DM we have needed one for years what i'm questioning is will the replacement be able to come in and instantly fill Vlaar's boots and make an instant impact because if he isn't were going one step forward but taking two steps back as usual signing someone like Danny Batth from Wolves would simply not be good enough

Last rumoured bid i heard was they were lining up a derisory bid of 3.5 mill i'd rather keep hold of him and hope the bloke is professional enough to not kick up a stink and leave on a free next season because i think we really have left it to late in the window now to get an adequate replacement especially when every club will see how desperate we are and try to take us to the cleaners

The club should offer Vlaar a new deal asap and set a deadline so we can move on if need be 

Edited by AshVilla

I think we now know why Keane was at the Wolves game the other night.

My guess is Lambert knows Vlaar is thinking about Southampton and we are bracing ourselves for a bid.

In the mean time we will look at replacement. Danny Batth possibly being one of them.

If we sell Vlaar for anything over £8m with at least 2 weeks left of the window to sign a replacement then I won't be too bothered.

If We sell him on deadline day then we have virtually sealed our relegation. Surely surely we won't be stupid enough to let that happen?

Even if Lambert gets the full fee to spend, the question is whether he can find another centre-back not only of the same ability but also one who possesses the same leadership and organisational qualities.

Our manager has not given us any reason so far to suggest he himself is a good defensive coach. Lowton said in an interview last season (I'll try and find it later) that Vlaar was the one who basically kept the organisation. So if he leaves there is every reason to be concerned.

He found Vlaar...

• Like 2

Â