Ron Vlaar

irreverentad

I think Vlaar is a very good defender for most teams in the Premier League bar the best four or five teams. Despite the van Gaal connection I'm sure they will be looking for better players.

I think Vlaar is a very good defender for most teams in the Premier League bar the best four or five teams. Despite the van Gaal connection I'm sure they will be looking for better players.

You could do a lot worse than Vlaar for a third or forth choice defender. Plus he can be signed on the cheap with one year left on his contract.

Vlaar could get into Tottenham or Everton as a 2nd/3rd CB. His fitness stops him being first choice anywhere better. You won't get 38 games out of him in a season.

http://mobile.avfc.co.uk/default.aspx?s=news-display&aid=3861292

Vlaar watched on as Iker Casillas lifted the Champions League trophy - and, of course, this weekend was the 32nd anniversary of the claret and blues winning the prestigious European Cup.

Over the past few weeks, also, the FA Cup has been won by Arsenal, with Thomas Vermaelen the man to raise the crown for the Gunners.

All this has got the skipper thinking of the thrill of emerging victorious in a major domestic competition very soon.

He said: "It would be good to have another good cup run.

"It was frustrating that we didn't get to Wembley the previous season when we lost to Bradford in the Capital One Cup semi-final.

"But hopefully we can do something next season.

"To win a trophy is a huge thing, not just for the players but for the club and for the fans.

"It would be great to go to Wembley and lift a cup."

Vlaar openly admits, however, that, first up, a better campaign in the Barclays Premier League is essential.

He is aiming for the claret and blues to establish themselves as a "mid-table team" as soon as possible.

He added: "There were some good displays.

"We beat Arsenal on the opening day, for example, and against Chelsea we played well for the whole 90 minutes.

"They were top at the time but we produced a really solid performance.

"Everything fitted perfectly but we struggled for the weeks after that. But we did something about it and won the battle.

"Now it's about looking to establish ourselves as a mid-table team next season.

"If we can achieve that, we will have something to build on. We should be capable of doing that."

• Like 1

Surely he won't go to United?  Imagine if we get no new owner, Lambert stays, Vlaar and Delph go and we sign Holt.

Jumping-Out-of-Window.gif

Â