Ron Vlaar

irreverentad

Ehiogu, McGrath, Teale, Southgate, Mellberg, Laursen, Nielsen, Mountfield, Dunne, Alpay, Staunton............... IMO Vlaar shouldn't be muttered in the same sentence as this lot, probably a few more that escape memory as well...........

Vlaar is average at best........... the best of a shower of shit............. that is a high a praise as I can give him.  Vastly overrated by the Villa masses.  In my opinion of course.

Alpay and Dunne, no chance. I don't know anything about Mountfield and Teale.

The only defenders on that list better than Vlaar are Southgate and Laursen.

• Like 1

Vlaar is named in the Dutch prelim squad for the World Cup. 7 players still have to be dropped.

Vlaar is certainly going to be a starting XI player at the World Cup. Holland will probably be playing a new system 5-3-2 at the World Cup and Vlaar will be the most central defender with Stefan de Vrij on the right side and Bruno Martins Indi (maybe Kongolo) on the left side of the 3 central defenders.

Goalkeepers: Jasper Cillessen (Ajax), Tim Krul (Newcaste United), Michel Vorm (Swansea City), Jeroen Zoet (PSV).

Defenders: Stefan De Vrij (Feyenoord), Daley Blind (Ajax), Daryl Janmaat (Feyenoord), Terence Kongolo (Feyenoord), Bruno Martins Indi (Feyenoord), Karim Rekik (PSV), Joël Veltman (Ajax), Paul Verhaegh ( FC Augsburg), Ron Vlaar (Aston Villa), Patrick van Aanholt (Vitesse).

Midfielders: Jordy Clasie (Feyenoord), Leroy Fer (Norwich City), Jonathan De Guzman (Swansea City), Nigel de Jong (AC Milan), Wesley Sneijder (Galatasaray), Tonny Trindade de Vilhena (Feyenoord), Rafael van der Vaart (Hamburger SV), Georginio Wijnaldum (PSV).

Attackers: Jean-Paul Boëtius (Feyenoord), Memphis Depay (PSV), Klaas-Jan Huntelaar (Schalke 04), Dirk Kuijt (Fenerbahçe), Jeremain Lens (Dinamo Kiev), Robin van Persie (Manchester United), Arjen Robben (Bayern München), Quincy Promes (FC Twente).

Edited by Feyenoord
  • Like 2

Ehiogu, McGrath, Teale, Southgate, Mellberg, Laursen, Nielsen, Mountfield, Dunne, Alpay, Staunton............... IMO Vlaar shouldn't be muttered in the same sentence as this lot, probably a few more that escape memory as well...........

Vlaar is average at best........... the best of a shower of shit............. that is a high a praise as I can give him.  Vastly overrated by the Villa masses.  In my opinion of course.

Your opinion is appreciated, however it is incorrect.

McGrath.

Our only real regular at the world cup. How sad! Best of luck Ron!

We could've had a few had injuries/teams not qualifying gone our way. Benteke should've been there, Okore would've been there with Denmark likewise for Kozak and the Czech Republic.

• Like 1

Eh..McGrath is on that list!!??

We could've had a few had injuries/teams not qualifying gone our way. Benteke should've been there, Okore would've been there with Denmark likewise for Kozak and the Czech Republic.

Yeah that's true. Partly unlucky I suppose. Still annoys me to see Championship teams with more players at the World Cup than Villa though! Czech Republic or Denmark didn't qualify though so you can't count those!

Edited by NulliSecundus

Yeah that's true. Partly unlucky I suppose. Still annoys me to see Championship teams with more players at the World Cup than Villa though! Czech Republic or Denmark didn't qualify though so you can't count those!

That was my point though, if they had qualified (and Denmark usually do) we'd have more players. Even in 2010 we only had 4 (I think), 3 of them playing for England ironically.

It is hard to judge Vlaar totally as he has spent his two seasons here next to novice defenders who are currently out of their depth at this level. I know Vlaar has made mistakes in his time here, but I guess the amount of pressure he is under trying to hold that bunch of defenders together is going to put a strain on even the best defenders. I even remember seasons with McGrath in defence that we have struggled and shipped lots of goals. It is all about developing a partnership and understanding with your fellow defenders, and We have not had a settled defence at all during his time here. It may be argued that as senior defender he is the problem, but when you look at the stats when he isn't in the defence then it is frightening how bad we are. I would be inclined to keep him from our current set of defenders, and see how he plays with better players around him (If we can buy some).

That Holland squad looks as average as it has done for a long, long time.

Sad to see.

I hardly recognise any of them. I need to get back to playing Footy Manager again, it's amazing how quickly the game moves on.

I can't believe Marc Overmars has been overlooked..

What are the managment playin' at?

• Like 1

Â