Ron Vlaar

irreverentad

Yeah and Sanchez is going to come good and so is Gardner

Maybe I should get money on us winning the title with all these world beaters fulfilling their potential next season :)

• Like 1

Best centre back at the club by a zillion miles and everybody seems happy that he could be going

If he goes and we replace him with better then great but if he leaves and we are facing Okore as his full time replacement then we may as well start planning for championship football now

Have to disagree. Clark has looked much more assured all season. Vlaar is too injury prone to depend on. Needs to be replaced but that shouldnt be difficult.

Maybe I should get money on us winning the title with all these world beaters fulfilling their potential next season :)

Clark has been better than him most of the season and baker at times has been better than him.

This isn't like losing a delph or benteke.

• Like 1

Okore is just 22 and calm back from a horrid long term injury and didnt have a pre-season last year. He has much more potential than Sanchez or Gardner

Best centre back at the club by a zillion miles and everybody seems happy that he could be going

If he goes and we replace him with better then great but if he leaves and we are facing Okore as his full time replacement then we may as well start planning for championship football now

Have to disagree. Clark has looked much more assured all season. Vlaar is too injury prone to depend on. Needs to be replaced but that shouldnt be difficult.
Presumably you forgot the arsenal (home)game where the fans turned on him and the various match reports in the following weeks where people said they didn't want Clark to ever play for the club again

To be fair to Ckark he did turn it around but it remains to be seen if he can keep the consistency

Edited by tonyh29

Okore is just 22 and calm back from a horrid long term injury and didnt have a pre-season last year. He has much more potential than Sanchez or Gardner

Missing pre season doesn't make him better than Vlaar so I'm not really sure of your argument here

He's not unloyal, no one can expect loyalty in football. He's just an overrated average footballer.

Who thinks his bigger than Villa. 

Baffling.

He will go to a "better" team than Villa.  It's really not that baffling at all.

Presumably you forgot the arsenal (home)game where the fans turned on him and the various match reports in the following weeks where people said they didn't want Clark to ever play for the club again

To be fair to Ckark he did turn it around but it remains to be seen if he can keep the consistency

What consistency has vlaar shown? Apart from consistently injured.

Clark was our best defender this season until he got injured. Vlaar did not have a great year this season. On his day he is an above average top flight defender but is injury prone.

• Like 2

He's not unloyal, no one can expect loyalty in football. He's just an overrated average footballer.

Who thinks his bigger than Villa. 

Baffling.

He will go to a "better" team than Villa.  It's really not that baffling at all.

Well based on this seasons general performances, I would say it's baffling  that he thinks he could take a  "step up"  from Villa.

He can leave, but there is no need to make out his bigger and better than us.

Wouldn't you agree?

Edited by OneNightInRotterdam

Clark was our best defender this season until he got injured. Vlaar did not have a great year this season. On his day he is an above average top flight defender but is injury prone.

I agree that Clark was our best defender, however I think on his day Vlaar is a solid top flight defender. Problem is, his day hasn't been coming often enough as of late. 

I have no problem with him leaving now, but don't belittle the club.

• Like 1

As mentioned previously , look in the Clark thread and you'll see many a comment about people never wanting him to play for us again , around the middle of December these statements start to disappear and change to more about how he has turned it around

like literally every player in the villa squad*, i'm not pushed if ron goes. very good defender on his day, but injured too often. his regular absences meant we couldn't build a sustained alternative back line that didn't include him, because when he was back he was in the team, shaking everything up again. on paper, it's weakening us, absolutely, but i'm not sure if it will do all that much harm in the long run

(i include everyone, including benteke and delph in that - there's just nobody in the squad at the moment that i'd be genuinely gutted to see go)

• Like 1

Disgusting comments. Sorry Ron, we supported you through your consistent injury problems and you've thrown it back in our faces. I appreciate the good performances and the odd goal. But you are not nearly half as good as you think you are.

we supported you through your consistent injury problems 

Not really. He was an employee of the club, what exactly did you expect them to do? Release him from his contract without paying?

• Like 1

As mentioned previously , look in the Clark thread and you'll see many a comment about people never wanting him to play for us again , around the middle of December these statements start to disappear and change to more about how he has turned it around
Or you could look at the Clark thread last summer and see most people wanting him sold (but not me, as I thought he still had potential).

Either way, looking in a thread after a good game or bad game isn't going to reflect how his general performances have been for us. After a dreadful game he probably did have a lot of people wanting rid, but after this full season (not just one game), there are also a lot of people who had him as our Player of the Season until he got injured.

In my opinion, our best centreback partnership this season was Clark and Okore, followed by Vlaar and Senderos. The latter two either won't be with us or won't be fit for more than 3 weeks in a row, so on that basis alone, I'm not that fussed that Vlaar is going.

Â