Ron Vlaar

irreverentad

Going

And persuading Ron Vlaar to sign a new contract is also high on Sherwood's list of priorities, as he added: "I have told him I want him to stay so we will have a chat with him as well,"

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11677/9871670/tim-sherwood-wants-christian-benteke-to-sign-new-aston-villa-deal

Edited by AshVilla

I think we need him. Clark-Okore has to be our pairing going forward, but it's still good to have quality back ups. Vlaar and Baker have proven to be a strong pairing, and now that Senderos seems to be on his way out, we can't afford to only have 3 defenders. It's not easy finding replacements. I'd rather see us resign Vlaar, and maybe get one more veteran type center back. 

The thing is when he does start playing a few good games he gets injured so we have to disrupt the centre half position and put other players in which inevitably leads us to conceding more goals.

He also dosen't really seem to gel that well with any of the other CBs who are regulars, his only convincing partnership was alongside Senderos right at the start of the season and he's likely off aswell.

Good defender but I wouldn't have an issue letting him go.

If we got someone like Shawcross in, our defence would be sorted. He's a proper leader and organiser at the back. No chance he'd leave Stoke for us though.

Caulker looked good a few years back at Swansea and then for a season at Spurs but just hasn't kicked on since then and keeps getting relegated.

Terrible, terrible season, you can stick a fork in him as far as being a premier league player is concerned. He ought to move to one of the weaker top flight leagues, like Germany, France, Italy or Holland.

He already plays in one ;)

Vlaar was poor towards the end of the season but was solid at the beginning. Maybe all the speculation about his future affected him. If he stays we may see the solid Vlaar again next season.

Okore has been abysmal in some games and I'd rather see Vlaar and Clark in defence to be honest.

Caulker would be a terrible signing. His agent has played a blinder with the "young English defender" line, nowhere near good enough been the mainstay of 2 relegations. Said it before one or two players from relegated teams is fine but building a spine with them would be a disaster waiting to happen.

I don't agree with people wanting Townsend, but I can see some logic to the idea. Caulker, on the other hand, isn't a Premier League-quality defender. I've watched a few QPR games this season, and his positioning is all over the place, he gets dragged around way too easily. He'll settle in the Championship, it's just a question of when IMO. 

In general, if we're going to sign players from relegated teams, it's best to sign those whose positions didn't underperform, ie. QPR actually scored a reasonable amount, but defended terribly, so generally their attackers look less rubbish. With Burnley it's the opposite. 

Edited by HanoiVillan
  • Like 1

I don't agree with people wanting Townsend, but I can see some logic to the idea. Caulker, on the other hand, isn't a Premier League-quality defender. I've watched a few QPR games this season, and his positioning is all over the place, he gets dragged around way too easily. He'll settle in the Championship, it's just a question of when IMO.

In general, if we're going to sign players from relegated teams, it's best to sign those whose positions didn't underperform, ie. QPR actually scored a reasonable amount, but defended terribly, so generally their attackers look less rubbish. With Burnley it's the opposite.

Good point. Whatever happens we can't afford to get it wrong again

Vlaar was very good when playing alongside Clark. Ditto Okore was good when playing alongside Clark.

Clark is our key defender now, he sets the tone and is a leader. Him and Delph are the future of the club.

I would keep Vlaar to play alongside Clark, if Vlaar is prepared to stay that is. I suspect Ron will get a big payday and a 3-4 year contract in Italy which we are not prepared to match.

Edited by GeordieVillan

Â