Ron Vlaar

irreverentad

Agreed.

And a couple of months ago I was saying I'd be happy with Vlaar not playing for us again seeing as he's gone at the end of the season.

But since he's come back he's shown that he is still our best centre back IMO.

Yesterday was **** stupid. There's no excusing it. It was an awful mistake and a silly decision.

But that's what it was. A mistake. I don't think it reflects his performance which I would have rated as good if it wasn't for that **** up.

If we're going to get out of the shit we are in we need our best players and, like him or not, Vlaar is one of them.

Were we safe then I'd be happy to leave him out. But we are very very unsafe and we need him.

I've been a big fan of Vlaar for quite some time. I agree that, on his day, he's our best defender. But, my worry is that he is not committed to the club. If he already has a deal lined up, should we really be trusting him with leading this team of players? He's hardly played this season and yesterday was just shocking for someone of his quality. He really failed us.

I like him and have always defended him but, with him not committing his future to us, and with his injury record, I think we should pass the baton on to someone who is committed to the cause.

This is how I feel. If he's not committed to us then I'd question whether it's in our best interests to play him.

I am not Rons biggest fan but I don’t think it was a bad thing bringing him back in. He has clearly been captain for a reason and given the deep shit we find ourselves in I‘d imagine it is no bad thing to have as many leaders on the pitch as you can and the added experience that Ron brings over Okore.

It is also perhaps worth remembering our defense, whilst better than past seasons, hasn't been anything like solid. The defending against Hull was poor, against Arsenal we shipped 5 and a couple of weeks previous to that we could have shipped a handful against Leicester. 

Edited by markavfc40
  • Like 1

It was right to bring Vlaar back last week as Okore was having a dip now though if Okore plays well against Newcastle he keeps the shirt if he doesn't I'd bring him back against WBA we need leaders but ultimately we need our in form players on the pitch regardless of who they are.

• Like 2

I think he got caught in two minds whether to control it or pass it.  His touch is normally very reliable and he is very good on the ball.  Just one of those mistakes. 

Yeah totally, I'm not trying to say otherwise it just makes it all the more mental, changing his mind would make sense in him getting it all wrong, he was in no position to control that ball by the time he touched it.

Anyway, gone now, even if my cerebral replays keep happening. How many games does he get out now? 3?

I have always been a fan that has looked at a players overall game during a match....not the odd incident, as unpalatable as it can appear....and has proved on saturday.

I commented during the game to my pal that I thought if it wasn't for Ron Vlaar's composure we might be in more trouble....so much for keeping it schtum.

I have always been more encouraged by a players comittment for 90 minutes,constantly probing..... than the odd goal and subsequent absence from the game.

we all have our own views what constitutes a good game....I favour Sir Rons Line 110% work rate....I think you always have a chance with that.

• Like 1

Agreed.

And a couple of months ago I was saying I'd be happy with Vlaar not playing for us again seeing as he's gone at the end of the season.

But since he's come back he's shown that he is still our best centre back IMO.

Yesterday was **** stupid. There's no excusing it. It was an awful mistake and a silly decision.

But that's what it was. A mistake. I don't think it reflects his performance which I would have rated as good if it wasn't for that **** up.

If we're going to get out of the shit we are in we need our best players and, like him or not, Vlaar is one of them.

Were we safe then I'd be happy to leave him out. But we are very very unsafe and we need him.

I've been a big fan of Vlaar for quite some time. I agree that, on his day, he's our best defender. But, my worry is that he is not committed to the club. If he already has a deal lined up, should we really be trusting him with leading this team of players? He's hardly played this season and yesterday was just shocking for someone of his quality. He really failed us.

I like him and have always defended him but, with him not committing his future to us, and with his injury record, I think we should pass the baton on to someone who is committed to the cause.

This is how I feel. If he's not committed to us then I'd question whether it's in our best interests to play him.

If he's not committed to us....God only knows what the rest are <_<

Edited by TRO

Just a mistake. The rest is drivel.

Not "a mistake" - there was more than one in the penalty incident alone. He was also at fault for their first.

And not "just mistakes" either - he is the captain, they were all extremely poor and they cost us the game.

So to call it "just a mistake" is... well... just a mistake ;)

I@m not so sure about the first one.

I finally brought myself to watch Match of the Day last night.

For Stoke's first goal, Vlaar clearly passes Diouf on to Hutton. Not in a passive way, actively tells Hutton it's his man and points and Hutton appears to move towards Diouf to obey.

I assume Ron was wary of the second man (might have been moses) who was lurking on the edge of the box, but before he can go towards him the cross comes in and it's all over.

Obviously there's a debate as to whether that was the right thing to do. Obviously not I guess as they scored.

But I don't think it's as simple as "Diouf was Vlaar's man and he scored therefore it's Vlaar's fault". 

But I don't think it's as simple as "Diouf was Vlaar's man and he scored therefore it's Vlaar's fault". 

Diouf was sitting on the 6 yard box. Stoke were in possession of the ball, square of Diouf. Only Cissokho to beat.

It's not the time to change targets. You get nowhere quickly marking space while being drawn to the ball - something I suspect Vlaar knows full well.

Even if there is a run coming in from elsewhere (or from the person in possession), you only change if and when you are forced to (that is, somebody else should be tracking that run).

Mistake. Goal. Vlaar at fault.

Diouf was sitting on the 6 yard box. Stoke were in possession of the ball, square of Diouf. Only Cissokho to beat.

It's not the time to change targets. You get nowhere quickly marking space while being drawn to the ball - something I suspect Vlaar knows full well.

Even if there is a run coming in from elsewhere (or from the person in possession), you only change if and when you are forced to (that is, somebody else should be tracking that run).

Mistake. Goal. Vlaar at fault.

I never claimed Vlaar wasn't at fault.

I was merely saying it wasn't him just losing his man one on one.

It's still his fault.

• Like 1

Not many, but you wouldnt get the chance to in england, you cant even celebrate a goal with the fans without getting a yellow.

where have we gone wrong...

Have you seen the way German teams thanks the fans after the game as well.  All go over as a unit and applaud and do a little jig?

Â