Ron Vlaar

irreverentad

Jesus Christ you are all some fickle fans.

Yes I am mad that he had a screw up that cost us a point, but damn. Vlaar-Clark seemed solid for the match minus one inch perfect cross.

With all due respect, this is bollocks.

It's hardly like his detractors have just come out the blue he's always had them and it's hardly surprising that after just costing us a game there is a vocal negative outpour. I for one wouldn't play/start him again; nothing special, not even going to be here next season and Okore and Clark partnership looks fine to me and is the future.

Fair enough and I agree that he should be dropped. I just think that he doesn't deserve this type of abuse from one match. Everyone makes a mistake once in a while. It's just unfortunate that this mistake cost us the match. 

We are talking about a player here who has hardly played this season and who looks likely to leave in the summer. He then fecks up for both goals and gets sent off.

For me, if he can't commit to the Villa immediately, I'd completely rule him out and play others who do want to play for us. I'd also strip the captaincy and give it to Delph or Clark.

• Like 2

Obviously he cost us at least one point. Those saying it would have been a goal anyway are ignoring the fact that he should have put his foot through the ball when it first came to him. So, yes, it's fair to blame him. 

However, the points in mitigation are that we were very poor throughout the whole last sixty minutes at least, and prior to his brainfart he had actually been having a good game. What's more, he did look genuinely gutted and ashamed of what he'd done, for whatever that's worth. 

Yes, blame him for the mistake. It was stupid, and may well be disastrous in the context of our season, but let's not kid ourselves. Simply putting a very poor team performance all on one person's shoulders will do nothing to address the many underlying issues at this football club. 

• Like 2

The only reason why he shone at the World Cup was that his opponents like Messi were terribly off form during that period.

I'm not happy with him either but dont talk utter nonsense like that.

Maybe you can tell me then whether Messi actually lit the world cup or was he distinctively average. 

There was a reason why there was an outcry over him winning the best player of the tournament.

Get attuned with events and your facts right before you dis something off as utter nonsense. 

Right so Vlaar shone at the World Cup in 7 matches because Messi was "average" and that is relevant because they played each other in one game?

Faultless logic there, congratulations. You really know your football.

He is being overhyped just because he managed to keep a certain Messi quiet in that match. Overhyped because he had a good world cup. Was Holland's performance all down to him though? I'm pretty sure Holland in general played well and stood out even at the other end of the pitch. It's easy to look good when your whole team in general is playing well.

Let's not forget that world cup aside, he has been in general a disappointment for most of us. He was part of a defence that was constantly poor last few seasons and conceded records numbers of goals, losing to even the likes of Bradford (yes, crucial goals they scored to knock us out were due to him losing out once again).

It's not a surprise he won't be anywhere near highly regarded by us when compared to the likes of Laursen or Mellberg. He won't even be a patch on them. 

So you want logic and knowledge of football? My analysis is that he shining at the world cup isn't exactly because he's a brilliant defender.

Great player, made a stupid mistake. I imagine he feels worse than anyone today, second only to the gutted supporters.

I'll go along with this. Cost us the points today but he's one of the only players who I could see anywhere near another PL team based on current form.

I should say point not points.

• Like 1

Great player, made a stupid mistake. I imagine he feels worse than anyone today, second only to the gutted supporters.

Exactly, he's been a good player for us, so I don't think its right that the  fans turn against him because he makes one silly mistake. They are human!

• Like 1

Exactly, he's been a good player for us, so I don't think its right that the  fans turn against him because he makes one silly mistake. They are human!

I just wish he had picked a different moment to be so human. Bugger.

He's just about an average player.  His time here has been characterised by long periods of injury, and mistakes when he is on the pitch.  I hope that's the last time we see him in a Villa shirt, he's about the least effective captain we've had in a generation.  Rarely has a nickname been so poorly applied.

• Like 1

I'll go along with this. Cost us the points today but he's one of the only players who I could see anywhere near another PL team based on current form.

I should say point not points.

Points was right.  He was utterly shit for their first goal as well.

• Like 1

He's just about an average player.  His time here has been characterised by long periods of injury, and mistakes when he is on the pitch.  I hope that's the last time we see him in a Villa shirt, he's about the least effective captain we've had in a generation.  Rarely has a nickname been so poorly applied.

Come now he was named in the best 11 at the world cup. Problem is he keeps getting injured and I wonder just how fit he is. 

Â