Ron Vlaar

irreverentad

Just as we are starting to get a bit of solidarity back, it would be a retrograde step to lose him....he has an effect on other players in the team that takes time to build.

I think he could be in for an impressive season villa and him need each other IMO.

Acceleration is the most important thing - and if you acceleration is good then you are likely to be pretty fast as well. Showing a video clip of a player already at pace vs. a player just turning and then accelerating proves very little, even Per Mertesacker could win races like that. However, Vlaar isn't slow at all - much better stoppers than him have had problems with their pace their entire careers and it has never been a problem. Nemanja Vidic and John Terry were never quick, but they are probably the best to have ever played in the Premier League when they were at their prime.

I really hope Vlaar stays here. He has nothing to win at Southampton to be honest, he is 29 years old and will never reach any level with them whilst he is still active. If an offer came in from a big club then he will have my blessing to achieve something in his career (he certainly will never win anything with Villa), so that would be understandable. Southampton have a better team than us and more money to potentially build a strong squad this season still, but they are lightyears away from competing for European qualification. Makes no sense for him to leave for them, he could probably earn the same money here as well and keep his reputation.

Showing a video clip of a player already at pace vs. a player just turning and then accelerating proves very little, even Per Mertesacker could win races like that.

Which video is that then? Certainly not the one of Vlaar and Hazard. Clearly they both turn at the same time.

Screenshot of them both facing sidewards and in the process of turning:

zySZxpv.png

• Like 1

I did think on saturday he wasn't his usual passionate self at the end of the game. At half time when the players were leaving the pitch to generous applause a number of players acknowledged us whereas Vlaar avoided any sort of eye contact with the fans and headed staright down the tunnel.

Maybe I'm reading more into the situation but I have a feeling his heart is elsewhere.

I did think on saturday he wasn't his usual passionate self at the end of the game. At half time when the players were leaving the pitch to generous applause a number of players acknowledged us whereas Vlaar avoided any sort of eye contact with the fans and headed staright down the tunnel.

Maybe I'm reading more into the situation but I have a feeling his heart is elsewhere.

I don't think you're reading too much into at all.  He would normally be the first over to the fans after a win like that, he also usually tweets after a game but didn't do that either.  I think he is an honest guy and he would genuinely feel guilty if he did celebrate like normal with the fans and then left.  The good thing about the situation is that he will give 100% regardless of what happens even if we flat out refuse to sell to Utd when they come knocking.  Fingers crossed we hang on to him because Roncrete & Senderock were beasts at the weekend. 

I saw a fair bit of fist pumping aimed at the Villa fans. He looked pretty pleased to me. I was sat on the half way line in the posh bit, so maybe there was someone else taking the eye of the away end at the time or he was behind the hulking frame of Senderos?

• Like 2

I saw a fair bit of fist pumping aimed at the Villa fans. He looked pretty pleased to me. I was sat on the half way line in the posh bit, so maybe there was someone else taking the eye of the away end at the time or he was behind the hulking frame of Senderos?

Maybe I am reading more into it but certainly at half time he never made eye contact with the fans as he left the pitch and whilst he was congratulating his teammates at full time it didn't appear his celebrations were as passionate as last season.

I hope I'm wrong!

What game were you watching?

:)

I didn't see Benteke limp down the field , rip his tracksuit off to reveal an "I will die before I leave Villa!" shirt before throwing himself into the fans. Definitely going.

There's no loyalty any more.

**** mercs. 

Maybe I am reading more into it but certainly at half time he never made eye contact with the fans as he left the pitch and whilst he was congratulating his teammates at full time it didn't appear his celebrations were as passionate as last season.

I hope I'm wrong!

Maybe he's been on VT and read this thread?

Maybe Fox will be able to help seal a new deal for Vlaar?

I'd be very surprised and disappointed if dealing with outstanding contract issues for the end of the season weren't one of the first items he worked on. They're more important than anything else at this point. Whether Vlaar will sign one, of course, is another matter. 

• Like 1

Â