Ron Vlaar

irreverentad

Its the summer, the transfer window and we've lost and haven't replaced our Chief Exec, we are on a deadline to bring players in and currently trying to conclude a complex deal for a player in a vital position in our squad. Frankly there are other things more pressing than Vlaar's contract.

But surely it shouldn't get to a point where there are other things that are a lot more pressing.  We have 4 players who can sign a pre agreement with other clubs in just 4 months time.  One of them is our captain, one of them is our player of the year, one of them is an important player who has been here since a kid and the other is one of the most promising youth players we've ever produced.  I think it's quite shocking that sorting out their deals isn't a pressing matter.  We know from the Grealish thread that nothing has been started regarding him so think it's fair to say not much has happened with the others.

You do also know that contracts can be signed AFTER the transfer window closes and anytime during the season for EXISTING players already contracted to the club or do they have to be done in the transfer window - just wondering as people seem to know more than the press/club/joe blogs etc etc. No matter what anyone says NO PLAYER is bigger than the club - NO ONE can predict what will happen at the end of the season - all this we are doomed bullc**p - no we are not - if anyone is so sure that we are doomed without him and what will happen - I challenge you all (not aimed at you DC) to right now give results of the league games and the number of points we will get if some are so sure we are doomed without Ron and that we are relegated before a ball has been kicked in the season because of 1 player. Just my opinion though!

It's not about Ron Vlaar Naz - it's about losing £20-30m by letting these players leave for nothing - or spending an additional £4-6m in wages to keep them because we let the contracts run short enough to put them in the driving seat. This isn't a club that can afford to do that - and it's wasting money and letting money walk out the door that will be the most likely thing to relegate us in my opinion.

You let a player get to less than 18 months and he can start to up his wage demands knowing you need to protect your investment - let him get into his last year and you start to look at paying a lot more than you need to.

If we'd offered new contracts to these players last summer we'd potentially have saved ourselves a fortune, as it stands now, we have to weigh up whether four months of Ron Vlaar is worth more to us than a nominal fee. 

It's mismanagement, and for me it's our biggest failing.

This is where Lerner needs to step up to the plate and as he said himself concentrate on things for the new season. Signing up Vlaar, Delph and Grealish would give the side as much of a boost as signing Sanchez IMO.

As usual he just seems to hide away in the States?

Its the summer, the transfer window and we've lost and haven't replaced our Chief Exec, we are on a deadline to bring players in and currently trying to conclude a complex deal for a player in a vital position in our squad. Frankly there are other things more pressing than Vlaar's contract.

But surely it shouldn't get to a point where there are other things that are a lot more pressing.  We have 4 players who can sign a pre agreement with other clubs in just 4 months time.  One of them is our captain, one of them is our player of the year, one of them is an important player who has been here since a kid and the other is one of the most promising youth players we've ever produced.  I think it's quite shocking that sorting out their deals isn't a pressing matter.  We know from the Grealish thread that nothing has been started regarding him so think it's fair to say not much has happened with the others.

You do also know that contracts can be signed AFTER the transfer window closes and anytime during the season for EXISTING players already contracted to the club or do they have to be done in the transfer window - just wondering as people seem to know more than the press/club/joe blogs etc etc. No matter what anyone says NO PLAYER is bigger than the club - NO ONE can predict what will happen at the end of the season - all this we are doomed bullc**p - no we are not - if anyone is so sure that we are doomed without him and what will happen - I challenge you all (not aimed at you DC) to right now give results of the league games and the number of points we will get if some are so sure we are doomed without Ron and that we are relegated before a ball has been kicked in the season because of 1 player. Just my opinion though!

I think 'we are doomed if Vlaar leaves' comes from the fact our already poor points haul  dramatically  falls when Vlaar is out of the side - so IMO its entirley reasonable to think a season without Vlaar would yield less points than last season. In believing that doesn't make me some kind of guru and I can predict a whole seasons results. However its a good a bet that a Vlaar less villa will collect less points ,than than Villa with Vlaar - and in the last 2 seasons we have only been a few points of relegation. So the calculation\Assumption\Prediction that we go down if Vlaar leaves is entirley reasonable. That doesn't mean its 100% and we may as well give up - but its daft to suggest that his departure doesn't make relegation significantly more likley

• Like 1

It's not about Ron Vlaar Naz - it's about losing £20-30m by letting these players leave for nothing - or spending an additional £4-6m in wages to keep them because we let the contracts run short enough to put them in the driving seat. This isn't a club that can afford to do that - and it's wasting money and letting money walk out the door that will be the most likely thing to relegate us in my opinion.

You let a player get to less than 18 months and he can start to up his wage demands knowing you need to protect your investment - let him get into his last year and you start to look at paying a lot more than you need to.

If we'd offered new contracts to these players last summer we'd potentially have saved ourselves a fortune, as it stands now, we have to weigh up whether four months of Ron Vlaar is worth more to us than a nominal fee.

This is where Lerner needs to step up to the plate and as he said himself concentrate on things for the new season. Signing up Vlaar, Delph and Grealish would give the side as much of a boost as signing Sanchez IMO.

Even more worrying without a proper CEO. Lambert's been banging on about new contracts since before January I think yet nothing happened, so if it didn't get sorted with Faulkner here I can't see it being sorted without him.

Even more worrying without a proper CEO. Lambert's been banging on about new contracts since before January I think yet nothing happened, so if it didn't get sorted with Faulkner here I can't see it being sorted without him.

Yet without a proper CEO we've signed 2 players this week?? It's frustrating they've not been signed up but no one knows if they've been offered contracts or not. I'd be a lot more worried if they've turned down deals. Hopefully things are progressing behind the scenes but for me only Vlaar deserves a pay rise and with it being his last contract he may just hold out to see if we get sold.

With tedious predictability, the Ron Vlaar thread in the RedCafe forum's transfer section has started to glow red again, in the wake of United's defeat and frail defensive display today.

I thought it was Ron Laard on RedCafe?

Â