Ron Vlaar

irreverentad

17 games out of 76 hes missed? That is nearly 1/4 of the league games since he has been here. Far from ideal.

No it isn't but then we aren't shopping at the ideal end of the market are we.

Yes he has missed some games but he isn't made of glass as some make out.

Nor is he made of concrete, as some make out  ;)

I think that maybe half the problem with Vlaar is that he plays the tough man hard as concrete way and puts his body under more pressure. Ultimately he is not what I would call injury prone as some make out. My main worry is that if we do sell him the funds will not be available for the replacement. I do not trust Lerner!

But I am not only suggesting that his tendency to be injured should impact on his value.

What does this mean then?

I don't want Vlaar coming back from injury to save us from relegation year on year. I want him in the team, for the vast majority of the season guiding us up the table. And until that occurs, with a consistent/injury free season, I will not agree with the valuation that his world cup performances seem to have instigated.

IMV you're suggesting that without his injury problems he'd be worth more yet in reality he's been injured less often than at least one of the first choice CBs at all of the top 8 clubs.

It means that I am suggesting his injury proneness should effect his valuation. As I said, I am not 'only' going by that. I am a bit puzzled by your persistence in highlighting other players?? There valuations are ridiculous as well. If Liverpool feel the need to go and spunk £20m on Dejan Lovren then good luck to them. If you ask me, Southampton are playing an exceptional game in ensuring they absolutely rob teams of money when selling their players. As are Porto with Mangala, as well as pretty much the whole of the footballing world.

We have an opportunity to do that with Vlaar and that should not be overlooked.  

• Like 2

Highlighting other players is to provide context for his alleged injury proneness. He's injured no more than the average top class PL CB.

We have an opportunity to do that with Vlaar and that should not be overlooked.  

Whether or not those players are overpriced, I'd agree we do have the same opportunity, which is why a bid of "8m" is certainly not "more than worth thinking about" IMO.

We have the added problem of being less than one Vlaar away from relegation, and I think Delboy's right that we won't see the money received spent on the replacement.

I want him in the team, for the vast majority of the season guiding us up the table. And until that occurs, with a consistent/injury free season, I will not agree with the valuation that his world cup performances seem to have instigated.

He missed 6 games through injury last season. Lovren (£20m) missed 7. Mangala (£32m) missed eight.

I have literally no idea what your point is? 

You are suggesting we compare the ridiculous valuations of a number of players based purely on their availability last year. Ignoring their age, skill level etc? :s

I think it is completely unrealistic to expect or even hope for any CB playing in the rigors of the PL to have an injury free season as you seem to have suggested you want to see from Vlaar. And further unless that happens you won't agree with a valuation of circa £10m.

What I think ArteSuave is trying to demonstrate all be it in minimal words is that Vlaar didn't miss many games and that the number he did miss shouldn't have a great deal of barring as a negative factor on his valuation.

I think he has a point.

Now, as you rightly point out lots of other factors contribute to the value of a player such as age and contract status, but as the above figures show missing 5 or 6 games in a season isn't really one.

In light of LVG comments regarding the fitness of RVP on his return from holiday does anyone foresee Vlaar also being out of the first game of the season considering both Vlaar and RVP have just returned from holiday today?

In light of LVG comments regarding the fitness of RVP on his return from holiday does anyone foresee Vlaar also being out of the first game of the season considering both Vlaar and RVP have just returned from holiday today?

I did fear this initially but Lambert's comments about Vlaar only being focused on the Stoke game put that to rest for me. It seems weird that Vlaar would get match fit so much quicker than RVP but you also have to consider that the competition for places in Utd's attack is a bit fiercer than the battle for our CB spots.

I think Van Gaal is just getting all his excuses in early.

I did fear this initially but Lambert's comments about Vlaar only being focused on the Stoke game put that to rest for me. It seems weird that Vlaar would get match fit so much quicker than RVP but you also have to consider that the competition for places in Utd's attack is a bit fiercer than the battle for our CB spots.

Plus maybe LVG idea of fit to play and Lambo's differ? Especially after LVG's comments on their new left back? 

I think LVG is very fitness based. Didn't he send someone (can't remember who - an England player) to go and train away from the first team as they weren't properly fit? 

Regardless, i think Ron should be fit for the first game. 

I think LVG is very fitness based. Didn't he send someone (can't remember who - an England player) to go and train away from the first team as they weren't properly fit?

Regardless, i think Ron should be fit for the first game.

Luke Shaw.

If LVG is so fitness-based then why is RVP coming back not fully fit? He managed him at the World Cup, and Vlaar. So you would think they were at the same level of fitness coming out the world cup,

I think Van Gaal is just getting all his excuses in early.

And RVP has always been a bit finicky training wise.

If LVG is so fitness-based then why is RVP coming back not fully fit? He managed him at the World Cup, and Vlaar. So you would think they were at the same level of fitness coming out the world cup,

RVP looked shattered in most games in the World Cup and was substitued alot.

Ive got a mate in portsmouth who is a saints fan he said virgil van dijk is there main target but vlaar is a potential target he also reckobed the dismantling of the saints team will make it difficult for koeman to temp vlaar. Not sure how true but no need to lie

I'd normally be reluctant to believe a Daily Star article but this one was written by Tim Abraham so gives it more credence.

Â