Speculation: Andy Carroll

wiggyrichard

Carroll could transform us. An on-form Carroll is unplayable. If he's available then we should try for him.

But sadly I don't for one minute think he'd choose us over Newcastle if he had the chance :(

• Replies 743
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Carroll could transform us. An on-form Carroll is unplayable

But what's he done to suggest he will ever be unplayable ?

His season at Newcastle and the tail end of last season. Basically he has shown fairly often what he's capable of. I'm confident if he got out of Liverpool and away from that transfer fee he'd be back to why Liverpool bought him in the first place. But it's all moot. We won't get him.

I remember that one game against us where he looked 'unplayable' against a static defence. Is that the one game people are basing this he'd great argument on ?

Also, does anyone else find this relatively new use of the phrase 'unplayable' almost annoying as the overuse of the word 'legend' ?

He is a massive unit and is capable of dominating people physically so he is 'unplayable' when it his day, much in the same way that Carew was and dare I say it Heskey on a handful of occasions throughout his career. There are very few players around who are as physically impressive as Carroll, that doesn't necessarily mean he is going to be consistent or threatening on a regular basis but he is capable of overpowering a defence.

Can someone please explain why everyone is so excited about Carroll? I just don't get it. Yeah he's not a bad striker, but with the kind of money Liverpool are asking for and the kind of money he'd want in wages it's just not worth it.
Let me try and explain my stance

1. I think he is a very good striker who has suffered at Liverpool due to a number of reasons. If Gabby is worth 6M as some on here have said then this lad is a quality above that and has to be worth 15M

2. For years when we had Carew here I wanted Bent. I thought Bent and an in form Carew would compliment each other and be unplayable. For me Carroll is a better , younger Carew and I just feel he could have a great partnership with Bent.

3. I think Lambert could really get the best out of the lad. In addition I trust the manager immensely at this stage and he wants him that is good enough for me.

4. I see a lot about the price etc but for me the cost of him is another reason why I want him. It sends a message, not just externally to the club but also internally that the club is willing to pay this kind of money again for the right quality player that can improve us.

On saying all that, I am not saying we are going to sign him or that he would come here if we were to go for him, but I also do not accept the arguement that goes he would be off to Newcastle as quick as you could say howay the lad, I just do not see that to be the case either.

Totally agree with, eh, 'the Dickie man' :) on all points other than the last one about re-joining Newcastle faster than you could say fat topless jobless Geordie.

4. I see a lot about the price etc but for me the cost of him is another reason why I want him. It sends a message, not just externally to the club but also internally that the club is willing to pay this kind of money again for the right quality player that can improve us.

This is why we wont be signing him, the sheer cost.

Regardless of the supposed info being linked by the club, its clear we're playing it slowly building with little gems here and there that Lambert can improve.

This time around though the club are using the likes of MM and other supposed itk to dictate the fans expectations.

Once the season starts hopefully well, everyone will have forgotten we havent spent a fortune.

I would much rather do it that way too, we dont jeopardize our future and give young hungry players a chance.

Fed up hearing if we spent 20mill it sends out a message, who cares! What counts is results and spending 20mill or whatever doesn't guarantee that.

James Nursey ‏@JamesNursey

@johnnybridge91 I was at Burton on Saturday when Lambert admitted wanting Carroll. But were also told at time it's a long shot by ‪#AVFC