Speculation: Andy Carroll

wiggyrichard

My god. Somebody who has actually been paying attention rather than spouting a load of lazy stereotypical tripe.

Just maybe there's something in the lazy stereotypical tripe. I don't think anyone is saying it's inconceivable that he could do well for us. It's just that there are several possible reasons why he possibly wouldn't.

The bloke is a Liverpool reject, and some of us don't like the idea of signing such. I don't see what's wrong with that.

He is a Geordie and a Newcastle fan, which means that he will have zero affinity for the club, if anything, the opposite. Some of us don't like the idea of signing such, and I don't see what's wrong with that.

He is widely rumoured to be or have been a pisshead. We have enough problems with players getting on the sauce as it is, and I don't see what's wrong with having reservations about him on the basis of that.

He can be a good player, but there are other good players out there who are more likely to be motivated, passionate members of the squad. Carroll ticks just about all the boxes describing players we've signed in the last 10 years who have been a big disappointment.

A player will only really shine for the club if he sees it as a move upward. Lambert seems to realise this, judging by his signings so far. Signing Carroll would really go against this trend. The only way it would happen is if I/we are wrong about Carroll's mindset and he impresses PL in the interview after a fee is agreed between the clubs. I've promised twenty quid to VT if we sign him.

• Replies 743
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No reports of any issues at Plop

He does seem to have settled down to be fair to him, though there were stories about a fight in a pub in Woolton not long after he arrived in Merseyside. He's now moved to the North End of the city to Crosby and he seems to be keeping his nose clean. Still has a 24 hour security guard parked outside his front door though.

Dont think Carroll is going anywhere - Rogers -

"The club invested £35m in him. People talk about whether he can fit into my style or not, but if you're a club and you spend £35m on a player you'd like to think he can fit into whatever style the team plays.

"He's a good player. He'll join the rest of the group next week and we'll take it from there."

Yeah so we (might) have to lose a defender to bring one in. That's just common sense.

Most likely that will be Hutton with one of Collins or Dunne off before the window closes.

Doesn't relate to Carroll as such. If we're after a striker, we're after a striker.

There is a stable player somewhere in Warnock. But what has happened to him is quite strange. He is 30 years old and should be in the prime of his career, so I would be willing to give him another season. We would be getting very little for him, and who is to say his replacement would be that much better? Paul Lambert could encourage him and get him on the right track, even though I guess that the chances are he has already lost his talent.

There is a stable player somewhere in Warnock. But what has happened to him is quite strange. He is 30 years old and should be in the prime of his career, so I would be willing to give him another season. We would be getting very little for him, and who is to say his replacement would be that much better? Paul Lambert could encourage him and get him on the right track, even though I guess that the chances are he has already lost his talent.
Warnock's been poor for two and a half years. Why does he deserve yet another chance?

Get rid ASAP.

Yeah I concur, I was just thinking in terms of Lambert and a fresh start etc, including the campaign of selling him off which can be tough. Sometimes a player switches on again, and he seems like a nice and commited guy so he can have a chance. I reiterate though, odds are that he will stay extremely mediocre.

Warnock's been poor for two and a half years. Why does he deserve yet another chance?

Get rid ASAP.

This.

I do not know how the guy has managed to make it as a Premier League full-back with a total lack of positional sense, and such poor timing.

The problem is that we're going to struggle to find a club that would want him!

Even if Lambert decides to stick with Warnock he'll eventually realise how shit he is and hopefully wont offer him a contract. Will be great if we could get rid of Dunne, Warnock and Collins before their contracts end though. As for Carroll I rate him and if Lambert wants him thats fine by me, can't see it happening though.