Speculation: Andy Carroll

wiggyrichard

• Replies 743
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hope it remains a long shot. I don't want him here and I'm a little worried by the fact that Lambert does.
Same. I trust Lambert and all but just because he's a good manager doesn't mean I'm going to automatically agree with him on every transfer. As a fanbase we seem to have gone from not trusting one manager at all (understandable when said manager is one of the most prolific liars in the game) to completely trusting another manager with absolutely everything. Now I trust Lambert infinitely more than "him", but I don't trust his judgement on Carroll at the moment.

I hope it remains a long shot. I don't want him here and I'm a little worried by the fact that Lambert does.
Same. I trust Lambert and all but just because he's a good manager doesn't mean I'm going to automatically agree with him on every transfer. As a fanbase we seem to have gone from not trusting one manager at all (understandable when said manager is one of the most prolific liars in the game) to completely trusting another manager with absolutely everything. Now I trust Lambert infinitely more than "him", but I don't trust his judgement on Carroll at the moment.

I see what you're saying.

But for me signing Carroll has nothing to do with trusting the manager, it's simply because I rate Carroll as a footballer. I think he'd be brilliant for us.

Lambert needs a big target man, we dont have one and he likes to play direct football.

Who else would you like as a big target man just out of interest, I cant think of many myself other than Carroll, Berbatov and Holt and I would much rather have Carroll than the other two as he is much younger than Holt and Berbatov is quite often not arsed.

Maybe we have to look abroad, but Lambert I belive will get a big target man in from somewhere

Lambert needs a big target man, we dont have one and he likes to play direct football.

Who else would you like as a big target man just out of interest, I cant think of many myself other than Carroll, Berbatov and Holt and I would much rather have Carroll than the other two as he is much younger than Holt and Berbatov is quite often not arsed.

Maybe we have to look abroad, but Lambert I belive will get a big target man in from somewhere

Actually, I don't think Lambert's teams are as direct as people think. Didn't Lambert speak about playing the right way, or was that KEA? I think we should wait and see what happens on this front. Lambert signed very few if any players from abroad up until he joined Villa. His first signing here was from abroad and it looks like he'll be adding at least one more to that list pretty soon. Lambert to me comes across as a very pragmatic manager who will do the best with the resources he has. He's got way more resources here than Norwich so I'm hopeful we'll see decent football at VP for a change.

We don't necessarily "need" a big target man. It would be useful to have one around I guess but I don't think we should spend £15m+ on Carroll. Our main striker is a proven goalscorer in Bent. By all means go out and get a big target man just not a really expensive one like Carroll.

4. I see a lot about the price etc but for me the cost of him is another reason why I want him. It sends a message, not just externally to the club but also internally that the club is willing to pay this kind of money again for the right quality player that can improve us.

The only reason I can think of for LESS wanting a player than 'sending out a message' is to sell shirts in Asia

You sure about that ?

It looks like we're playing everything but direct football so far

Maybe that's because he sees he can be more progressive at a club like Villa than he's been able to with lesser sides so far

Did Norwich play hoof ball last season ?

I thought they kept it on the deck more ?

Norwich averaged 46.2% possession (47.2% at home, 45.2% away) . We were 45.8% on average (48.2% at home & 43.5% away). However Norwich were 9th in pass completion in the League.

My idea was that Norwich seemed to pass the ball (that is when they had the ball) and from what I have seen that is what we seem to be doing at the moment. I saw a few long balls against Burton but we seem to be passing it. With KEA and the ability he appears to have we'd be stupid not to pass the bloody ball!

Those stats are great but I'm not sure what to gleen from that

Norwich averaged 339 short passes per game at a rate of 77%, 75 long balls per game at a rate of 17% and 23 crosses per game at a rate of 5%.

Villa averaged 297 short passes per game at a rate of 77%, 63 long balls per game at a rate of 16% and 22 crosses per game at a rate of 6% & 2 through balls per game at a rate of 0% per game.