General Transfer speculation thread with guff from Twitter

TrentVilla

• Replies 11.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Seeing as the poster you quoted lives in Korea, I think it may well be in his interest if Villa are big over there.

He's picked the wrong club then

Where does this myth come from, that if you buy an Asian player you suddenly sell a shitload of extra merch over there?

Most football goods in Asia are bootleg for starters

I'd love to check Bolton's accounts and see how much extra they've made from having Chung-Yong Lee on their books

So it's a myth that Asian support doesn't generate the top clubs in the world millions of extra revenue?

I'd imagine there is the same proportion of bootleg football goods in Asia as there are football fans in this country that support Man Utd. So, although that may be a large proportion does that make the other clubs, like Villa, insignificant?

I think you are being a little ignorant of the facts.

I think you are being a little ignorant of the facts.

Lets see these facts then

Asian Revenue

Most football goods in Asia are bootleg for starters

Now your turn.

That's LIVERPOOL. One of the biggest GLOBAL football teams on the planet. You might as well have posted Man Utd's figures

I believe this started from someone wanting us to sign Park so we'd be a massive in Asia. Which then begged the question, is there any proof signing an Asian 'star' helps you increase revenue substantially over there ?

Find me some figures that are relevant to that criteria. Eg Bolton's

Park Ji-Sung to QPR. Gutted we've missed the chance to become the biggest club in Korea.

I think you'd easily make the transfer fee and wages back!

that notion, wherever it has come from, is complete tosh

look at the numbers...

for each jersey sold outside the official club shops, a club makes in the region of £4

the biggest sellers of football shirts, in terms of clubs, are man utd (1.2 million per year), real madrid (1.1 million per year) and barca (1.1 million per year)

villa, would probably sell 80,000-100,000

in order to see a 4m transfer fee paid for a player through shirt sales, we would need to sell another million extra shirts to become the 2nd most supported club in the world. in order to pay that player's wages too, let's say 2m a year, we would need to shift another 500,000 shirts, putting us approximately 400,000 shirt sales ahead of man utd, and 500,000 ahead of real madrid and barca

so yeah, signing ji sung **** park is not going to do that

The best way to attract glory hunting gobshite tranient fans like Man Utd, Chelsea and Liverpool etc is to be consistently successful for a long period of time.

Signing regional players may have some impact but very marginal I'd say. It may raise awareness but doesnt mean that fans will go out and buy merch.

Who the **** were Chelsea before the 90s? Nobody. Man City before Takhsin and Sheikhs? Traditionally smaller.less successful clubs than Villa but a bit of sustained success or massive funding and legions of duplicitous morons flock to their banners.

And no, I wouldn't mind if we shared in some of that too. Becuase it would mean having a successful football team full of superstars.

I think it depends on the players status not the club. Not the same but you sign Kewell in his peak.. Leeds was always in Australian news. You sign Craig Moore.. and not so much.

I know a lot of Leeds and Liverpool supporters that support them due to Kewell. Some people need an attachment to a club as were not locals.

Buy the best Korean.. you make new fans.. buy an average back up goalkeeper.. noone gives a shit... Whether that pays the wages.. I doubt it.. but you expand your fan base.