General Transfer speculation thread with guff from Twitter

TrentVilla

• Replies 11.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Park Ji-Sung to QPR. Gutted we've missed the chance to become the biggest club in Korea.

I think you'd easily make the transfer fee and wages back!

that notion, wherever it has come from, is complete tosh

look at the numbers...

for each jersey sold outside the official club shops, a club makes in the region of £4

the biggest sellers of football shirts, in terms of clubs, are man utd (1.2 million per year), real madrid (1.1 million per year) and barca (1.1 million per year)

villa, would probably sell 80,000-100,000

in order to see a 4m transfer fee paid for a player through shirt sales, we would need to sell another million extra shirts to become the 2nd most supported club in the world. in order to pay that player's wages too, let's say 2m a year, we would need to shift another 500,000 shirts, putting us approximately 400,000 shirt sales ahead of man utd, and 500,000 ahead of real madrid and barca

so yeah, signing ji sung **** park is not going to do that

I think the response to "that notion, wherever it has come from, is complete tosh" is 'Korea', as that's where Wainy has been living for quite a while now. I'm not going to begin arguing about the money because I don't know enough about how that works, but I wouldn't disagree that it would make us the biggest club in Korea.

edit: Actually, I will add though, that 'making the money back' wouldn't just be covered in terms of shirt sales. I imagine signing someone like Park would see a big increase in sponsorship opportunities in Korea, and it would also increase the value of Aston Villa as a brand in that region. There'd be much more interest in putting Villa matches on TV (I imagine that they'd be first choice most weekends), etc. Wainy didn't say that we'd make the money back in shirt sales alone.

oveseas tv deals are split evenly among all the clubs, it doesnt matter how much you're shown

in terms of potential sponsorship opportunities, you might see something, but again, it wouldnt be enough to cover the signing of a single player

But Serie A is no longer the king pin

The Premier League is the golden goose now

Why would any newly promoted team agree to it? They wouldn't.... so the whole argument is stupid because it just will not happen. It's part of what makes the Premier League so balanced and entertaining.... which is the reason why it is the "king pin".

But you wouldn't have to split revenue from money made from AVTV subscriptions in foreign countries. If you read that article posted earlier back that's how MUFC and liverpool make alot of their money overseas, fromn their own tv shows etc

Who gives a toss whether Park would sell shirts? What's more important is that he's a fantastic player, very underrated outside of Manchester. I'd have loved him here.

He is indeed a fantastic and hard working player, mentioned him a while back and got shot down. having said that, based on our budget (wage wise) and the fact that it seems we are going down the route of sign young hungry players. He wouldn't fit in.

Who gives a toss whether Park would sell shirts? What's more important is that he's a fantastic player, very underrated outside of Manchester. I'd have loved him here.

He is indeed a fantastic and hard working player, mentioned him a while back and got shot down. having said that, based on our budget (wage wise) and the fact that it seems we are going down the route of sign young hungry players. He wouldn't fit in.

I actually didn't realise he was 31, which would make you correct in my opinion.

But you wouldn't have to split revenue from money made from AVTV subscriptions in foreign countries. If you read that article posted earlier back that's how MUFC and liverpool make alot of their money overseas, fromn their own tv shows etc

signing a player from an asian country won't mean we'll pull in a million avtv subs - winning competitions and being a successful team is the only way to do that

even if we signed the biggest name in asian football, we'd probably be lucky to have him and his wages 30% paid for through increased income

it's absolutely no reason to go signing players from those countries. if a player is good enough, it doesnt matter where he's from, he'll eventually increase club income if he's a success

Utd-supporting friend of mine doesn't rate Park.

Then again he doesn't particularly rate Rooney.

Utd-supporting friend of mine doesn't rate Park.

Then again he doesn't particularly rate Rooney.

Then I probably wouldn't want to be friends with him if I were you :winkold:

saw in the Sun that Whittingham has said he is staying at Cardiff, after interest from Baggies. Not saying this means he wouldn't join us, just saying there has been no official interest from us reported except on Twitter.

would post a link but if i do the pst will be deleted again

Well he said he's happy unless the manager wants to sell him.

Which pretty much means if the club accept an offer he will go, but he won't engineer a move. Could still very easily go.