General Transfer speculation thread with guff from Twitter

TrentVilla

Just look what happened when we were about to hire Solkjaer, Aston Villa was all over the news in Norway. The entire country followed the developments. Had we signed Solkjaer you can bet that every single Villa match had been showed on Norwegian telly.

The same thing happends when a team sign one of the big names from Japan, South Korea or China. With that comes tv-revenue and exposure and new fans wich means big money.

To say that all this is tosh is just not true

• Replies 11.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's not about shirt sales

It's about international tv rights

Doesn't that money just got to the Premier League?

I think all the TV money is split out evenly between all Premier League clubs, regardless of international stature.

Just look what happened when we were about to hire Solkjaer, Aston Villa was all over the news in Norway. The entire country followed the developments. Had we signed Solkjaer you can bet that every single Villa match had been showed on Norwegian telly.

The same thing happends when a team sign one of the big names from Japan, South Korea or China. With that comes tv-revenue and exposure and new fans wich means big money.

Utter nonsense.

Utter nonsense.

Really?! Do tell

Park Ji-Sung to QPR. Gutted we've missed the chance to become the biggest club in Korea.

I think you'd easily make the transfer fee and wages back!

that notion, wherever it has come from, is complete tosh

look at the numbers...

for each jersey sold outside the official club shops, a club makes in the region of £4

the biggest sellers of football shirts, in terms of clubs, are man utd (1.2 million per year), real madrid (1.1 million per year) and barca (1.1 million per year)

villa, would probably sell 80,000-100,000

in order to see a 4m transfer fee paid for a player through shirt sales, we would need to sell another million extra shirts to become the 2nd most supported club in the world. in order to pay that player's wages too, let's say 2m a year, we would need to shift another 500,000 shirts, putting us approximately 400,000 shirt sales ahead of man utd, and 500,000 ahead of real madrid and barca

so yeah, signing ji sung **** park is not going to do that

I think the response to "that notion, wherever it has come from, is complete tosh" is 'Korea', as that's where Wainy has been living for quite a while now. I'm not going to begin arguing about the money because I don't know enough about how that works, but I wouldn't disagree that it would make us the biggest club in Korea.

edit: Actually, I will add though, that 'making the money back' wouldn't just be covered in terms of shirt sales. I imagine signing someone like Park would see a big increase in sponsorship opportunities in Korea, and it would also increase the value of Aston Villa as a brand in that region. There'd be much more interest in putting Villa matches on TV (I imagine that they'd be first choice most weekends), etc. Wainy didn't say that we'd make the money back in shirt sales alone.

Will put in my two cents.

Man Utd are by far the most widely supported club in Singapore. Yet, I have never, IIRC, seen a single person wear a "J.S. Park" shirt - Rooney and Ronaldo shirts are popular, but the most ubiquitous ones are the ones without any names on the back.

Might be because most of the population are Chinese and not Korean, but still.

I think all the TV money is split out evenly between all Premier League clubs, regardless of international stature.

Thought I read that in the not too distant future clubs would control their own foreign tv rights

The big clubs i.e. Liverpool and Utd want that to be the case so they can sell their own TV rights and make a metric fuckton by doing so like Barca and Real Madrid do. Hwever that would be disastrous for us as it means

a) our income would likely decrease as we'd find it much harder to get large sums for our TV deals

B) Utd, Liverpool and maybe Arsenal would run away in terms of earnings and buying potential as they would be selling their TV rights for hundreds of millions every year.

Fortunately for a change like that to take effect all 20 Premier League Clubs would have to accept the change and there is no chance they would. Only the Top 4 would benefit and it would be horrendous for the already uncompetetive league. But this is all way off topic

Thought I read that in the not too distant future clubs would control their own foreign tv rights

Well, you read wrong then.

It's equally split between all clubs in the league.