General Transfer speculation thread with guff from Twitter

TrentVilla

I don't think Lerner is a prick as such, I just think he needs to realise that due to his own mistakes, we've ended up in a not-so-good financial situation.

He probably regrets not giving MON the backing he wanted which has caused all of this mess in the first place.

If he pulls his finger out and gives Lambert the funds that even McLeish was given, then we may get a relatively decent finish which can be built upon over the next few years.

For this building process to start though, we need to lay foundations, and not go through the "we need to cut the wage bill" saga every damn season.

• Replies 11.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lambert has to be backed further in this window. It is clear for everyone to see that our squad is under strength in a number of areas. Lambert will be well aware of this.

A transfer budget of £6m is one of the lowest in the league if we don't get any more players in. We needed to add quality to the team anyway and we still do. It will be another season of struggle if we don't.

I don't think Lerner is a prick as such, I just think he needs to realise that due to his own mistakes, we've ended up in a not-so-good financial situation.

He probably regrets not giving MON the backing he wanted which has caused all of this mess in the first place.

If he pulls his finger out and gives Lambert the funds that even McLeish was given, then we may get a relatively decent finish which can be built upon over the next few years.

For this building process to start though, we need to lay foundations, and not go through the "we need to cut the wage bill" saga every damn season.

yes but have to look at it in another way.. randy backed mon with funds, we took great strides! wembley twice & near got champs league,then the choke chain..i dont think ASTON VILLA can be fixed on the cheap..as i type this a villa hero is kicking his heals at man city.if randy wanted to get jimmy back he could,he could afford his wages & fee. just think of the boost ASTON VILLA would have if we brought jm back! i dont have faith in delph/bannan etc to turn potential into game changing performances. the moral i guess is you dont know you have till its gone.

Ian Abrahams ‏@BroadcastMoose

Hearing rumours Andy Carroll has spoken to Aston Villa about a move away from Liverpool

In conjunction with this pic:

a0meazacuaa7xw3.jpg

...supposedly showing Carroll not getting on the team coach with all the other players after the WBA game and taking a private car to go somewhere.

Ian Abrahams **** hell. He's been caught out by twice in the last few months.

First was Everton with Moyes. He said Moyes had been given permission to talk to Tottenham. Everton's Chairman even tweeted him and said it wasn't true.

Next was West Brom, he said one of their players was leaving and the official WBA twitter tweeted him and said it wasn't true.

If he pulls his finger out and gives Lambert the funds that even McLeish was given,

The funds McLeish was given? McLeish had a transfer budget of -21 mill. Under him we sold Ash, Downing and Luke Young for approx 38 mill, lost Freidel and Reo Coker for **** all and brought in Given, NZogbia and Hutton for approx 17 mill. Under McLeish both in terms of transfers and wages we made massive savings.

For two years now we have sold players and either not replaced them or replaced them with far inferior players. That combined with two poor managerial choices has seen us spend 90% of the last two seasons in the bottom third of the league battling relegation. That simply is not good enough.

Over the summer Randy/Faulkner have rectified one of the reasons we have found ourselves in the shit by appointing a very good manager who has the potential to be a great manager for us. Without decent backing though over the next couple of weeks and 3 or 4 quality signings then this squad will finish no better than 12th - 16th.

I wouldn't say no to Carroll, the guy was great at Newcastle, wasn't played well at Liverpool and as such has lost his reputation as a threat upfront.. The guy could be the target man we have been looking for and may work well with Bent.

yes but have to look at it in another way.. randy backed mon with funds, we took great strides! wembley twice & near got champs league,then the choke chain..i dont think ASTON VILLA can be fixed on the cheap..as i type this a villa hero is kicking his heals at man city.if randy wanted to get jimmy back he could,he could afford his wages & fee. just think of the boost ASTON VILLA would have if we brought jm back! i dont have faith in delph/bannan etc to turn potential into game changing performances. the moral i guess is you dont know you have till its gone.

yes MON was backed and we did took great strides, but not sustainable ones, look at us now, weve been stuck with the shit mon created for the last 2-3 seasons. What MON did was a short time fix and so was the success that he brought, were not in a oligarch possition where its possible to dump millions after millions on players and wages. We need to aim at getting a backbone in our squad, something we can grow and make better over time we simply dont have the economics to fix our whole team in one window or two. We need to buy players with a bit more thought then we did in the MON era, lambert will need maybe 2 years before our squad is in a good possition, good money worth players dont grow on trees.

Having said this i still believe we have atleast another two players coming in this window, and i would be more than happy with a mid table finish aslong as it means we get the team to the possition where we have a solid core to develop further from.

I would welcome Carroll with open arms, as long as we don't pay through the teeth for him. Put him on £40-50k per week max and then we're talking. I think he would be a very good addition to the squad and could work well with Bent, Weimann and Gabby. I can't see it being true though as I'm not quite sure why he would want to join us right now.

As other have mentioned though, we would still need at least one quality winger in...

no thanks to carroll, as a) dont want a loan with no deal in place to buy and B) any deal in place to buy will be massively overrpriced for someone who's average and a cock.

would rather give wiemann and delfouneso more game time than waste money on that cretin.

What ever happened to the Brahimi link?? He's still at Rennes, where Makoun is allegedly going on loan... Does anyone think we'll take him on loan in return, with both deals with a to-buy option?

We could do with someone like him to be honest although a LB must be a priority at the moment.

I would welcome Carroll with open arms, as long as we don't pay through the teeth for him. Put him on £40-50k per week max and then we're talking. I think he would be a very good addition to the squad and could work well with Bent, Weimann and Gabby. I can't see it being true though as I'm not quite sure why he would want to join us right now.

As other have mentioned though, we would still need at least one quality winger in...

If we could get him in on loan on those wages with a set transfer fee and pay increase if we chose to keep him at the end of the season then I would settle for that. It gives everyone an incentive to make it work.

Leftback is a huge priority, Baker did alright there yesterday on the defensive side of the game.

That said only 23% of our attack yesterday were started from the Left hand side, compared to 39% on the right so it's clear that a more attacking Left back would help us out in this area and open up our attacking options to be more fluid.