Spain: Greatest National Team of Any Era?

maqroll

Is This Spanish Side the Greatest of All Time?  

40 members have voted

1. 1. Is This Spanish Side the Greatest of All Time?

• Yes
    • No

Are Spain really the first team to win the Treble?

Surely Brazil must have done this at some point?

Nope. For all of their years of success, Brazil have never won the European Championships.

Obviously Brazil is not in Europe :|

Platini is probably thinking of a way around this geographical problem.

As with all these things, it depends how we're defining "best". Certainly the most successful, definitely technically brilliant, often entertaining (but clearly not always). If the question is who I'd pay to see, it'd be brazil '70 every time.

Voted no but would've voted maybe if that was an option. Teh Pele generation of Brazil was quite good too. 58, 62 and 70. Ok, there's a twelve year gap between the first and the last of those triumphs and probably only Pele was part of them all. So I guess that would make the 58/62 winners would be the best. But from what I've heard the 70 team was quite amazing.

It's very hard to tell, really. How would they cope playing in different eras? As TV said, this spanish team is helped by the refs, which the brazilians were not. Impossible to compare in that way, IMO. But if not the best, one of the best.

And then, as said, there's also France 96/98/00.

The most entertaining team I've ever watched is Brazil 82. But that's another story. Probably one of the best attacking teams ever. Defending, not so much.

Brazil 1970 for me. But the 1966 winners might have given them more of a game than Italy did in the final had Banks played in the QFs and Bobby Charlton stayed on to keep Beckenbauer busy.

For me Brazil's 3 out of 4 World Cups trumps Spain's 1 World Cup & 2 Euros but I would pay good money to see the Brazil 1970 side take on the current Spain team and I think Spain might just edge it now...but Pele and the rest of his team are OAPs now. :lol:

I voted no.

As great as this side is the rules of the game in recent years have all been passed in their favour, the modern game in which you can't apply any kind of physical pressure is perfectly suited to their football. That doesn't detract from their brilliance in anyway, they are brilliant but the modern game and the way it is officiated is all in their favour.

The great Brazil side of 1970 were simple sensational and this was at a time when the opposition was allowed to kick them up in the air (or try to) which for me at least makes their style and success even more impressive.

For me trophies won isn't really the measure of the greatest team, most successful yes but not the greatest as I think that title is about much more than just stuff won.

Agreed.

No from me.

They were lucky against Germany in 2008 and a shocking performance by Howard Webb in 2010 helped them. Fair enough tonight they compltely outplayed and Italian side who were never expected to get to the final. They're good but in my opinion, highly overrated.

They were lucky against Germany in 2008 and a shocking performance by Howard Webb in 2010 helped them. Fair enough tonight they compltely outplayed and Italian side who were never expected to get to the final. They're good but in my opinion, highly overrated.

Really? I cant see how this team is over rated.

They have only conceded one goal in the whole tournament and one goal in their last 10 games. For people saying the Brazil team are better they ignore the whole defence aspect of the game which is to give the Spanish defence a complete diservice.

Also for people saying the modern game helps Spain it also ignores the fact it helps every team they play. Fantastic team and deffo the best international team I've ever seen.

Spain are a very good team in last 4 or 5 years but seriously they havent had any competition this is a period where argentina, france brazil, italy and even holland are at their weakest and germany is still an emerging force

Howard Webbs performance helped Holland. De Jong should of been sent off early for a kung fu kick to Xabi Alonsos chest. Van Bommel should have also been sent off for about 5 terrible fouls. So really Holland should of been down to 8 men. Webb helped Holland in my opinion

And I dont undrstand how they were lucky in 2008 v Germany.

Difficult question - but I voted yes.

Some of the other "great" sides of the past weren't serial winners necessarily - Spain are Winners.

You could argue that the West German team in the '70's were great, the Dutch were great, the French Euro 84 winning side was great, as well as their team from 98 and 2000.

The Argentina and Brazilian teams have been consistently talented, but not always "winners".

Spain of this era are sensational.

3 titles in a row...can't argue.

The scary thing is, their stream of new talent doesn't seem to be slowing down either, while Casillas at 31 will still be around imv for 3 or 4 more major tournaments to make game-winning saves for the national team.

But please...someone knock them out of the next WC please, it gets boring seeing the same team win again and again after a while, no matter how entertaining their style of football is.

Yep, they're a very young side too, which makes this all the more incredible. The only players I see them losing for the WC would be Puyol and maybe Alonso and Ramos...all the others should be in Brazil, which would make them one of the favorites to win it....and then there will be no debate at all.

How good is Jordi Alba, by the way? Fantastic player.

Where is Ramos going? He is 26!

This Spanish side are the greatest national side ever IMHO. As for those saying Brazil 1970. The distances people ran back then were about 1/3rd of what they run today. If you put both sides on the same pitch it'd be about 6-0 to Spain. Yes I know you have to take training methods and the standards of the time into account. But I think the raw talent in this Spanish side is higher than what they had back then too. Xavi is right up there as one of the greatest midfielders to ever play the game. When he goes, this Spanish side will seriously struggle to replace him.

Â