Spain: Greatest National Team of Any Era?

maqroll

Is This Spanish Side the Greatest of All Time?  

40 members have voted

1. 1. Is This Spanish Side the Greatest of All Time?

• Yes
    • No

3 titles in a row...can't argue.

The scary thing is, their stream of new talent doesn't seem to be slowing down either, while Casillas at 31 will still be around imv for 3 or 4 more major tournaments to make game-winning saves for the national team.

But please...someone knock them out of the next WC please, it gets boring seeing the same team win again and again after a while, no matter how entertaining their style of football is.

IMO yes

i didnt see the great brazil or dutch teams so my opinion is probably skewed but this spain team is insane, the starting 11 has 2 of the best midfielders of a generation, currently 3/5 best midfielders in the world, one of the best keepers, one of the best centre backs, every single player can pass and have amazing 1st touches, no weak links

look at who didnt kick a ball for them at this tournament, look at the youngsters coming through, they arent going away either

Brazil 1970 for me.

Lots of people will tell you the 1982 Brazil team were better. They didnt win anything though so it's difficult to say. It's difficult to say about Spain too, I mean France had the World Cup & European Championship in 98 & 2000 and only lost the semi final of Euro 96 on penalties so were they as good as Spain are today or not? Are they just unluckier because they lost a penalty shootout in a semi final and Spain won one?

Brazil 1970 for me.

Lots of people will tell you the 1982 Brazil team were better. They didnt win anything though so it's difficult to say. It's difficult to say about Spain too, I mean France had the World Cup & European Championship in 98 & 2000 and only lost the semi final of Euro 96 on penalties so were they as good as Spain are today or not? Are they just unluckier because they lost a penalty shootout in a semi final and Spain won one?

Not Spain's fault that they have a much better keeper, right?

Had Casillas not saved Spanish arses with Robben bearing down on him two years ago...

Brazil 1970 for me.

I just love what I've seen and heard of the 1970 side. They attacked so much and defence was an afterthought. It's difficult to make comparisons as football has changed so much since then.

I voted no.

As great as this side is the rules of the game in recent years have all been passed in their favour, the modern game in which you can't apply any kind of physical pressure is perfectly suited to their football. That doesn't detract from their brilliance in anyway, they are brilliant but the modern game and the way it is officiated is all in their favour.

The great Brazil side of 1970 were simple sensational and this was at a time when the opposition was allowed to kick them up in the air (or try to) which for me at least makes their style and success even more impressive.

For me trophies won isn't really the measure of the greatest team, most successful yes but not the greatest as I think that title is about much more than just stuff won.

3 titles in a row...can't argue.

The scary thing is, their stream of new talent doesn't seem to be slowing down either, while Casillas at 31 will still be around imv for 3 or 4 more major tournaments to make game-winning saves for the national team.

But please...someone knock them out of the next WC please, it gets boring seeing the same team win again and again after a while, no matter how entertaining their style of football is.

Yep, they're a very young side too, which makes this all the more incredible. The only players I see them losing for the WC would be Puyol and maybe Alonso and Ramos...all the others should be in Brazil, which would make them one of the favorites to win it....and then there will be no debate at all.

How good is Jordi Alba, by the way? Fantastic player.

For me trophies won isn't really the measure of the greatest team, most successful yes but not the greatest as I think that title is about much more than just stuff won.

I think it's incredible how talented every single member of the team was with the ball at their feet. Made Balotelli's first touch look like Delap's.

Are Spain really the first team to win the Treble?

Surely Brazil must have done this at some point?

Nope. For all of their years of success, Brazil have never won the European Championships.

Brazil 1970 for me.

Had Casillas not saved Spanish arses with Robben bearing down on him two years ago...

Indeed. Casillas is as much a part of their dominance as any of them. Well maybe not Xavi....or Iniesta....but you catch my drift. A world class player in his own right.

Are Spain really the first team to win the Treble?

Surely Brazil must have done this at some point?

Nope. For all of their years of success, Brazil have never won the European Championships.

Obviously Brazil is not in Europe :|

Brazil 1970 for me.

Indeed. Casillas is as much a part of their dominance as any of them. Well maybe not Xavi....or Iniesta....but you catch my drift. A world class player in his own right.

It's also frightening how many caps and honours Casillas has and could have at International level.

137 caps, 3 major trophies and he's still only 31. Mental

Â