Brett Holman

ozvillafan

Didn't hargreaves do a similar job to what he does except more centrally

Im not saying he's anywhere near the level of a fit hargreaves but the way he closes people down off and on the ball we need a terrier like that

Especially with young inexperienced fullbacks i felt he did really well the weekend against swansea protecting them with the threat they had out wide from Dyer and the new bloke hernandez

Brilliant display. Someone said not great coz it's not Messi - over a full season in this particular League, for this particular Club, at this time in the development , I would prefer Holman.

Sorry, I'm struggling to understand this.

Are you saying you'd prefer Brett Holman in our team than Leo Messi?

Second question, are you actually mental?

I may well be mental. Who knows ?

But my view is simply that for our Team right now, with what Pl is trying to do, a Holman playing how he did on Saturday is more beneficial than it would be to have Messi.

Everybody on the planet knows Messis abilities, I am not stupid. I think there is more to it than that. In the same way I wouldn't want Rooney or Ronaldo either.

If people think it is ridiculous that is up to them.

You're not mental, you're an idiot.

What PL has consistently talked about is playing the right way, I am pretty sure players like Rooney/Ronaldo/ Messi fit very very well into that ethos, and certainly swapping Holman for one of them detracts nothing. There will always be another 100mph worker who'll get in a teams face, but there are no other Ronaldos, or Messi.

I actually think you should apologise for making me waste a minute typing this in reply to you and seriously re-evaluate your life.

looks like he could be a top player for us, his workrate is brilliant and that will make him a fans favourite alone but needs to do a bit more with the ball when he has it, I think he can offer a lot of the qualities Milner brought to the side except without that added quality Milner has.

his workrate is brilliant and that will make him a fans favourite alone but needs to do a bit more with the ball when he has it, I think he can offer a lot of the qualities Milner brought to the side except without that added quality Milner has.

I agree with this but this for me, is why he won't be a 'top' player for us - a useful asset though.

Still unsure about him.

He is an attacking player and yet his best attributes seem to be without the ball.

Good enough for right now but not sure if he's got the quality to help us once ambitions change.

True, but winning the ball close to your oppositions goal, as he did afew times for us this week, offers a lot of attacking threat.

he can also pass, and has showed some lovley vision with a few attempted through balls, so dont hink it is only work rate that makes him get into the team

Brilliant display. Someone said not great coz it's not Messi - over a full season in this particular League, for this particular Club, at this time in the development , I would prefer Holman.

I for one admire the bravery and momentary rush of blood to the head that no doubt inspired this post. All the best people say silly things from time to time :)

People saying he's not good enough for us is churlish.

He's been absolutely brilliant last two games

he's brilliant because he runs all over the place, hassles players and gets stuck in all over the pitch

however stephen ireland is shit because runs all over the place, hassles players and gets stuck in all over the pitch

your logic is flawless

Holman is a decent player who gives 100%. He's a consistent 7/10 player that every squad needs to allow the better players around them to perform.

I thought against Newcastle he was at fault for Ben Arfa's goal as he didn't get close enough to him but he certainly deserves another start this weekend.

To compare Ireland's workrate to Holmans is ridiculous.

As said yesterday by a fellow VT'er, Ireland as it stands today isn't fit to lace Holmans boots.

Holman has brought an infectious energy and team spirit with him. And he does more than just run about, he was a damn site more creative and productive than Ireland on Saturday

Thank you for all your kind words..........

I agree as someone said earlier I don't want the thread to end up a debate about my Mesi comment, but, I will have one last quick go at explaining what I mean - as quite a few seem to think in some way I prefer Holman to Messi, and I can't go through life with that around my neck !!

Example - I think a Rolls Royce is an amazing car, sheer quality and streets above everything else. And there is no question that - from a purely driving point of view,(getting the analogy ?) it beats my Fiesta hands down.

But it wont fit on my drive, it would attract theives and burglars, I cant afford to run it, or insure it, and it is impractical for my work use. The kids wouldn't be able to mess it up, and my mates would think I'd gone all Paul Ince on them. Perhaps my entire budget, way of life, and family(Team) togethernesss would go out the window.

So for where I am right now in my world, much as I love the idea of the Rolls, I am - strange as it seems - better off with the Fiesta.

Now, you may disagree, but at least hopefully those who are interested - rather than condescending - can at least understand I am not being entirely stupid.

Anyway...............

Holman's work rate is not really rivalled by another Villa player, but of all the players to pick on to compare with, you choose Ireland. Not saying he's had the greatest starts to the season but SI certainly works harder than the average Prem player. I think because he is an eccentric, people tend to tar him with the same brush as N'Zogbia and the like who genuinely are not hard workers. If you watch Ireland though he very rarely stops running.

There is a top player in there somewhere, you see glimpses of it every game, I think he just needs to relax and he will become more consistent and start creating and scoring goals.

Â