Karim El Ahmadi

Feyenoord

just in from our twitter friend...

INCOGNITO AVFC ‏@INCOGNITOAVFC

We certainly need a little dutch courage from time to time..Exert effort, you shall be rewarded #avfc

ps he has been spot on with everything he has said so far but he's always cryptic!

If we do sign him, presumably he's Petrov's replacement?

I hope we get a Premier League class replacement actually.

I think El-Ahmadi was good for Feijenoord but any level higher than the Eredivisie and I doub't he'd make it.

He's not that physically strong and while his vision is spot on I think he needs too much time on the ball to make those forward passes.

Would be pleased with this deal, assuming he's backup and not for the first team, but would also prefer Clasie for a couple million more.

El Ahmadi is deffo Premier League material and especially for Villa (if you don't mind me saying). Clasie is nowhere near PL level mainly because of his physique. He was subbed many a time this season because he had trouble adapting to the pace of the Eredivisie and therefore got tired after 70 mins. El Ahmadi was the real engine in midfield and he helped Clasie massively. When El Ahmadi wasn't in the team the midfield was 2 levels less.

El Ahmadi will not be the dominant creative playmaker on the ball (you rightly say that he is a bit of a mailman on the ball) but he can truly dominate a midfield and make sure that your team stays on the attack when pressing high up on the pitch.

For the people that do not know him...the vid below sums him up completely

Right on pretty much all accounts, but I still think most of the people on here are vastly overrating him. FWIW he can definitely do a job for us (especially for €2.8mill) but don't expect another Tioté. He is not the full on destroyer we need in midfield, he's actually quite similar to Barry but not as good.

And regariding Clasie: I'd prefer him because of his amazing talent. Yes he gets tired quickly but that's soething he can work on. For me he is a massive talent (even more than Gary Gardner IMO) and while it's true Feijenoord's midfield lacked when Clasie wasn't supported by KEA, I think the other way around was even more lacking.

The obvious answer would be to just sign them both! :D

By the way, a little fun fact: Feijenoord's very first home kit, back when they were still Wilhelmina was based on our very own Claret and Blue top!

According to Wikipedia, Clasie's just as tall as me :D sign him!

If we do sign him, presumably he's Petrov's replacement?

I hope we get a Premier League class replacement actually.

I think El-Ahmadi was good for Feijenoord but any level higher than the Eredivisie and I doub't he'd make it.

He's not that physically strong and while his vision is spot on I think he needs too much time on the ball to make those forward passes.

Would be pleased with this deal, assuming he's backup and not for the first team, but would also prefer Clasie for a couple million more.

El Ahmadi is deffo Premier League material and especially for Villa (if you don't mind me saying). Clasie is nowhere near PL level mainly because of his physique. He was subbed many a time this season because he had trouble adapting to the pace of the Eredivisie and therefore got tired after 70 mins. El Ahmadi was the real engine in midfield and he helped Clasie massively. When El Ahmadi wasn't in the team the midfield was 2 levels less.

El Ahmadi will not be the dominant creative playmaker on the ball (you rightly say that he is a bit of a mailman on the ball) but he can truly dominate a midfield and make sure that your team stays on the attack when pressing high up on the pitch.

For the people that do not know him...the vid below sums him up completely

Right on pretty much all accounts, but I still think most of the people on here are vastly overrating him. FWIW he can definitely do a job for us (especially for €2.8mill) but don't expect another Tioté. He is not the full on destroyer we need in midfield, he's actually quite similar to Barry but not as good.

And regariding Clasie: I'd prefer him because of his amazing talent. Yes he gets tired quickly but that's soething he can work on. For me he is a massive talent (even more than Gary Gardner IMO) and while it's true Feijenoord's midfield lacked when Clasie wasn't supported by KEA, I think the other way around was even more lacking.

The obvious answer would be to just sign them both! :D

By the way, a little fun fact: Feijenoord's very first home kit, back when they were still Wilhelmina was based on our very own Claret and Blue top!

According to Wikipedia, Clasie's just as tall as me :D sign him!

Same height as me too :lol:

Sign him for us dwarfs!

I know absolutely nothing about him so I guess it's exciting at least.

Isn't a poor man's Nigel Reo-Coker, just Nigel Reo-Coker?

The thing is at that stage we weren't the poor man, hence we paid about £8m for him IIRC?

Then played him as a slightly awkward right back.

WithinPurple, you keep mentioning this Classie, what would be the cost in your opinion to prise him away? This guy looks very good in the games i've seen him in, he keeps it simple and has a massive engine.

It's hard to say really, but I should think €5m would prise him away.

Feijenoord still aren't financially stable enough to reject such an offer, but maybe Clasie wouldn't want to join us at this moment, with Feijenoord in the qualifying stages of the Champion's League. He's also the fan's favourite after this season.

EDIT:

He's similar to Barry in what context? One pressurises players the other sits and holds, Is Lucas a destroyer, is Busquets a destroyer, a player i'd compare him to is Inler from Napoli, nicks the ball and passes it simple.

He's similar to Barry in that he's a box-to-box midfielder, he won't sit in front of the back 4 and break up play but he will track back and try to catch others in possession, along with having a good passing range. Like Barry was for us when he was still here.

Looks to be quicker than Barry. Barry's weakness was alway his lack of pace. We have lacked composure in the middle since Barry left, El Ahmadi looks like he might remedy this. From the video El Ahmadi is more like the post Villa Barry, as at Villa Barry was more attacking in his play looking to get into the box, can't see El Ahmadi doing this.

I liked his positioning in that video always making sure he in a position for the player on the ball to pass to him. Good speed, some composure and tenacity, could be a very good addition to the squad.

I know absolutely nothing about him so I guess it's exciting at least.

Isn't a poor man's Nigel Reo-Coker, just Nigel Reo-Coker?

The thing is at that stage we weren't the poor man, hence we paid about £8m for him IIRC?

Then played him as a slightly awkward right back.

Oh I mean as he is now - shit and, IIRC, free. At the time that deal made sense, he was quite young, had potential by the bucketload and you had no worries about his physique. We overpaid a little, of course. Unfortunately it turned out that his potential was never going to be fulfilled amongst other things.

Anyway, all thats by the by. There shouldn't be any worries about this chap and language barriers, the Dutch are curiously good at languages, he'll certainly speak English and probably quite well. I would worry about his ability to step up, the Dutch League is a very different beast to the Prem and not every player makes it. Especially when they come over later on in their careers.

It could still be some time before the transfer is complete and it will definitely not happen this week. Both clubs still need to come to an agreement and El Ahmadi still needs to discuss terms as well. Most of the Feyenoord fans are quite upset at the rumours of the transfer fee. We feel that the fee should be at least 5 million Euro's because he is a quality player.

Looks like a poor man's reo coker not impressed

maybe in price but im sure in football talent a donkey has better talent that NRC

Yeah i was being sarcastic still cant believe we paid 8.5 mill for nrc what a rip off seriously

Looks like a player from that you tube clip against Ajax. Good at breaking up play AND MOVES FOR THE BALL - can't remember a Villa CM'er doing that for a long time - and gives it simple BUT appears to retain possession. Paired with J2M or Delph, I could see this working as a sitting duo behind a three playing of Dazza.

Agree BB, I don't think we need a destroyer, we need a combative midfield who can also keep the ball. We believe we need a destroyer because we can't retain resession, bring in players who know what their doing with the ball and that requirement will disappear.

Never even heard of him, so will reserve judgement until I see him play. But happy to see that we appear to be 1. signing people and 2. Looking abroad (assuming this is going to happen)

Never even heard of him, so will reserve judgement until I see him play. But happy to see that we appear to be 1. signing people and 2. Looking abroad (assuming this is going to happen)

This.

Â