Karim El Ahmadi

Feyenoord

We've had English managers always, apart from Venglos and Houllier. They always play an English style, which is more about effort, graft, individual effort and speed than tactics, teamwork and possession.

In the last 18 years I have been following Villa, this has pretty much been the way we play.

Now that we are adapting to a different passing/possession style (at last!), you can expect a lot of backlash from those who think the old English style is the only way to play football.

Of course, they'll come out and deny it - but their lack of patience (its 1 game!) belies them.

We've had quite a lot of Scottish managers as well, and recently one very controversial one from Northern Ireland. Does your definition of "English" include people from these countries? If so, fine, but do be a little careful if you are ever visiting Edinburgh, Belfast etc.

Now for the really puzzling bit. Our current manager is Scottish ("English" in your terms I guess). So what exactly is your point?

I think he meant British.

not too sure MON or DOL would be all that happy about being called british tbh

MON is British. Forgot about DOL though, I guess he just meant British and Irish then. :P

not actually sure if mon is british or not. he doesnt strike me as the type to hold a british passport, given that he speaks gaeilge and likes GAA

He's Northern Irish is he not?

doesn't actually make him british. there are unique nationality structures in place in the north. people born there can choose to have a passport from the republic and be irish, a british passport and be british, or both as far as i know. mon has never really come across as one who would hold a british passport to me, but i could be wrong

doesn't actually make him british. there are unique nationality structures in place in the north. people born there can choose to have a passport from the republic and be irish, a british passport and be british, or both as far as i know. mon has never really come across as one who would hold a british passport to me, but i could be wrong
Unfortunately we don't know what passport he has. Since he is from Northern Ireland though, and Northern Ireland is part of the UK, I don't see the harm in labeling him as British unless we know otherwise.

Anyway, this is besides the original point, which was that most of our managers recently have all been about grit and work effort, as opposed to technique and skill. It's nice to see a manager that places importance in the latter as well as the former. The perfect tonic after the McHoof debacle.

Sorry to get you all off on a tangent.

Yes, when I said "English" what I really meant was "United Kingdom".

My point was that, for the most part, they play football the same "English" way. Lambert is the exception to the rule (thankfully) which, imo, is the reason he has met with success at Norwich and why he will be a success here.

My point was that, for the most part, they play football the same "English" way. Lambert is the exception to the rule (thankfully) which, imo, is the reason he has met with success at Norwich and why he will be a success here.

It's still interesting to see that the whole discussion turned away from football and turned into a discussion about the nationalities of our previous managers. :)

And yes, I hope, and it seems like, Lambert is trying to make us play more of that football. And that the players will adapt sooner or later.

El Ahmadi looks a better version of Petrov, he's a water-carrier that likes to try and dictate the tempo, he's not a creative player and isn't going to be playing many defence splitting passes, it's not his game.

Sorry, but that is gash from what ive seen already.

El Ahmadi and Ireland are doing fine)

On what planet ? They were totally ineffective Saturday and most of pre season. It needs to be different

What differences do you think are needed?

both are footballers, and both are technically very proficient. but they can't get the ball and pick themselves out making a smart run unfortunately. they need more movement from their teammates

something which we actually look like we're improving quite a bit at the moment. they'll both be very, very effective players when the other members of the team catch up.

Yes, I agree with you, when the other players become confident to move about and/or when we buy one or two players that compliment their style and thought process.

Ozvillafan, can you say what the "English" style of football is and who plays it? For example, do the current best 5 or 6 English clubs (Man U, Man C, Chelsea, Arsenal, Spurs, Newcastle) play it? If they do, I wanna have some of it. If not, I wonder if it is right to talk about an "English" style of football that isn't played by our most successful clubs.

Whatever the "nationality" of our football, Villa need to find a way to play successfully in the Premier League and I think Lambert's strongest card is that he has shown he can do that with Norwich. Whether his success came from playing "English" or some other nationality of football, I don't know, but Lambert did show last season he is a master of getting results in the top English League. I don't think Norwich particularly played a passing game of the Barca style.

Must say this lad has been probably our only bright spot so far this season.

Not just saying because he scored but he looked one of the few playing who was comfortable with the ball at his feet.

Hopefully in time he'll prove to be a good replacement for Stan. I like what I've seen so far.

He did OK today, certainly our best midfielder but that's because the rest were awful.

Not sure why Delph didn't play, did he have a knock? Herd in there gives us very, very little besides some graft, no quality though, Delph is a much better player.

Playing Bannan next to KEA was very odd as well.

I though he was pretty average, then he scored and looked full of confidence and much better.

Will be a decent signing. Shame there is so much shit around him.

This

One of the only players to come out of yesterday with any credit.

Looked really good once he'd scored. Once he plays with that confidence all the time he'll be a real asset for us. Can't wait to see who he's playing for next season... ;)

Â