General Chat (mobiles, tablets, etc.)

leviramsey

The Google Finance Officer (I think) said that Motorola products lacked the wow factor and they had 18 months worth of development in the pipeline that they had to drain before they could bring out something that was to their standard. Now if you look at when Google first purchased Motorola it was just about 18 months ago although it wasnt officially rubber stamped till a fair bit later.

I would imagine by Google IO the 18 months will definitely be up and the Xphone will be announced.

Flashed Ubuntu Touch onto my Galaxy Nexus today. Some thoughts.

It's nowhere near production ready, and I'm not sure it ever will be.

The bar will always be the original Android OS that shipped on Nexus phones, and they've had years of committed, intense development with many tweaks, enhancements and changes along the way to push a standard(ish) Linux kernel with a custom UI and VM on top of it to the current level, where the current generation of phones running Android 4.x perform fantastically.

Ubuntu have a few developers trying to tweak Unity to work on top of various AOSP components and the result is, well, way behind. It was actually really nice having something completely different running on my phone and I applaud Ubuntu and Canonical in their efforts. It would be nice to have another player.

* The keyboard was laggy. This should be above all other processes and shouldn't ever lag. Android 4.x has it at the same response as iOS which is where they all need to be.

* Most apps were just web pages. Unfortunately due to pressures on people developing for Android, iOS, BB, WP7, there won't be any time or space left for them to do anything for Ubuntu.

* The whole UI was laggy. Google have done many buffering and optimisation tweaks and it's going to take Ubuntu a long time to replicate these.

I realise it's very early days and while I'd love for Ubuntu to become another mobile player, I just can't see it based on current evidence.

Opinions on the new galaxy... considering that or the iphone 5. :/

I think the consensus is that it looks like a bloody good phone but as it is rather similar to the S3, those who have that won't bother to upgrade.

Rivals would be the Nexus4, HTC One and Xperia Z on the android front.

I think pretty much any high end phone these days is going to be great. I'd still say look at the Nexus 4 though, the price point is just so ridiculously good.

I think we're past the point of new phones having new features that make them immediate must-haves.

The hardware advances have been strictly evolutionary for a couple of years now.

The new software features on a launching phone, in all probability, were released months before as updates to the Nexuses.

• Like 1

Ditched the idea of the chromebook in the end and picked up a Vaio T series touch from the sony outlet store for a bargain :).

So far very impressed and is lightening fast, just a shame windows 8 is a bit pants and will take som getting used to.

It isn't too bad with the combined touch screen, will just take some time to get used to and a few more bugs ironed out.

Wondered if anyone could recommend a decent phone for my teenage daughter. She has a pay-as-you Blackberry at the moment and would like a Smartphone ideally.

Looking for an Android phone on a contract and spending about £20 a month tops. Basically just using it for texts and calls, she has her Nexus 7 for internet.

So, if anyone know of any decent deals or could recommend any handsets that would be great.

Edited by Designer1

Wondered if anyone could recommend a decent phone for my teenage daughter. She has a pay-as-you Blackberry at the moment and would like a Smartphone ideally.

Looking for an Android phone on a contract and spending about £20 a month tops. Basically just using it for texts and calls, she has her Nexus 7 for internet.

So, if anyone know of any decent deals or could recommend any handsets that would be great.

Phones4u are currently doing the Galaxy S3 for £20.50 a month with 200 mins and unlimited texts. Alternatively if you can afford the money outright, buy the nexus 4 for £239 and get the £6.90 sim only deal from three which would work out £16.90 a month over a 24 month period.

For the phones themselves, have a look here. (You may notice a comment with a familiar avatar).

There are links at the bottom for previous months' versions of the same article. Galaxy Ace 2 is, um, ace.

I'm not up to speed on deals.

Can I get some mobile advice please folks.

Was talking to my my mom yesterday and she mentioned she wanted to buy a kindle and asked if I knew much about them, after showing her my kindle app, and a few other things I thought might interest her on my phone (s3) she has decided she wants one.

The thing that slightly worries me is that not being much of a tech head, ive had the s3 6 months and im still learning, my mom has never used a pc/smart phone, and im concerned it may turn out to be a unused waste of money.

So really what im asking is what would be a good phone for a complete tech novice? Basically, a top device that is very simple to use.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Colin.

While it's not a phone, are you sure a Nexus 7 wouldn't be a better fit? Otherwise I can't recommend a specific phone especially without a budget. Make sure whatever you get is on 14 day trial and if possible, don't lock her into a long contract.

I had a similar situation with Mrs The_Rev, she had a slight interest in such things but felt intimidated by anything more high tech than a Kindle.  I bought her a Nexus 7 for her birthday earlier this month and she loves it.  If she just wants something for books, internet, social media, photos and videos of the grandkids on and the odd YouTube video then you are getting a lot of machine for £200.  If you want to do it as a phone then I'll say what I always say:  Nexus 4. It's still one of the absolute top phones on the market and the cost of ownership is significantly lower than the competition.  

I still can't believe Google are being so consumer friendly with their Nexus devices, it probably won't last but that doesn't mean you shouldn't take advantage right now. 

Â