General Chat (mobiles, tablets, etc.)

leviramsey

I wouldn't buy either of them. They're nearly 18 month old phones.

I didn't realise people only bought phones that were released in the last 6 months. My mistake.

That's okay, that's the reason the tech forum is here so we can help   :thumb:

• 3 weeks later...

I've just purchased a Microsoft Surface. Well my business has anyway.

​Had a play with it in the shop, it's a beautiful piece of kit. Needed a 10 inch screen with full Office capabilities, can't really go wrong at £280. 

Metro works on a tab. Lovely. 

Glad someone enjoys it. I think it's the worst piece of tech I've ever owned. I was so looking forward to getting it and really keen on the idea of the keyboard attachment etc..

It lay gathering dust that's what it's use was for me. But I'm not a tablet user. I don't have much use case for one in between ultrabook and phone.

Come back in a few months and let me know if you're still using it regularly. Cheers

Glad someone enjoys it. I think it's the worst piece of tech I've ever owned.

You've done well, this wouldn't even make it in to my top 5 bad devices. Christ, I bought a Zune. I still can't figure out why I thought that was a good idea.

Edited by Davkaus

Hmmm bad tech,

I went from mini disks to a Creative Zen to a Smartphone. All were excellent for music in their time.

Computers I built my own from 1999 until 2005 and the last one kept going until it gave up in 2007 but at that time I'd got my Samsung NC10 netbook that little warrior hasn't given up yet. But when I went travelling in 2011 I left it behind and went with an Asus Transformer Android tablet hybrid which had 16 hours battery, it was a horrible thing to use but it's ability to give me movies for very very long bus rides in south America keeps it above the Surface. When I Got back I got a Toshiba Z930-10T which was superb and then onto the best of the lot, the Samsung Series 9 I type this on. I bought the Surface 3 months after I got this and sold it on early this year.

As for phones, I've had lots but back in the texting and phone call days they always served their purpose well. I went fro Sony Camera Phones to the Sony Xperia smartphone which at the time I loved as it was a step up. But when I got the Galaxy S I saw how poor the Xperia was in comparison. Since then I've had nothing but very small gripes with the phones since then, S2, S3, Galaxy Nexus, Nexus 4, S4. All great phones. Never really hated a phone, but Xperia would go down as probably the worst if I had to pick. 

Glad someone enjoys it. I think it's the worst piece of tech I've ever owned. I was so looking forward to getting it and really keen on the idea of the keyboard attachment etc..

It lay gathering dust that's what it's use was for me. But I'm not a tablet user. I don't have much use case for one in between ultrabook and phone.

Come back in a few months and let me know if you're still using it regularly. Cheers

What makes it the worst piece of tech you've ever owned? Cheers.

• 2 weeks later...

out of curiosity, why the hate for the Blackberry Q10?

My phone is due for renewal, the Q10 appears to be able to do text, e-mail, photos, phonecalls and twitter. I don't intend to watch movies on something the size of a phone, I don't do games.

So for me, e-mailing people and using it for work mostly, what would be noticeably better?

To rephrase the question, what about the Blackberry appeals to you? Any smart phone will admirably do the jobs you describe. However, Android and iOS devices can also run the VillaTalk app.

FWIW I don't hate the Q10, I jut think they delayed its release so long that it has no market.

Oh, and don't renew. Get out of the contract lock-in.

There look to be a couple of decent Android phones with physical keyboards due out this year (it looks like Samsung and Motorola have decided that there's enough of a market for them to roll one out every other year to catch corporate upgrade cycles).

to re phrase the question:

I've had three or four BB's now. I've currently got a Bold.

I like the physical keyboard because hypothetically it means I can send texts and e-mails quite simply whilst driving on private roads! I run three e-mail accounts from it and keep up to date with twitter. On rare occassions when needed I can go on the interweb, I can use it as a GPS. It works as a phone. I can take a photo and send it back to the office. Basically it does everything I've ever wanted it to and none of the BB's have ever let me down. It appears to be physically robust, surviving life on buidling sites including one accidental drop kick from a steel toed boot. Why would I risk changing?

The boot of the car contains tablet and laptop, so when I'm not on the move I have other screens at my disposal.

I have absolutely zero interest in Angry Birds or WarDemonCarStealer 7. If I want to watch a film, I spend £5 in Asda and watch it on a 15" laptop screen.

By contrast, the wife and kids have between them, a Samsung Galaxy, an LG Cookie and an iphone 4S. They all appear happy enough with them, but then they are constantly watching video and playing some game that involves a lot of running around ruined temples and jungle.

nah, I've not made up my mind, I don't look at phones from one year to the next so if someone can come up with a reason that affects me to swap, I'll happily swap.

I keep hearing and reading that BB's are awful and everything else is better, but then when I ask, the only answer I get is that the apple is cool and the Samsung does games.

I'd happily have a phone with any word or fruit symbol on the outside if it does the job.

But yes, if there is no big revelation, (and possibly critically, as I don't pay) then I'll just go awful useless uncool BB again.

If the BB really does everything that you want, then go for it. Just be aware that BB is very much on the ropes, so don't count on any BB device being supported, and don't expect any applications that rely on their servers to still be working in a year or two.

They've even lost the Enterprise market, it really is just a matter of time.

Edited by Davkaus

What makes it the worst piece of tech you've ever owned? Cheers.

There are a few reasons. Firstly is the lack of any apps. It's not windows it's RT which is a dead on arrival OS.

Next is the keyboard attachment. The kickstand and keyboard are just awkward to use and the angle it is at isn't very comfortable to use.

I can't see why I'd use it ahead of my Series 9 which is just as portable and far better at getting things done.

Also the aspect ratio of 16:9 is terrible for a device that size. It's pretty heavy too and it had some big performance problems. Native Apps would take too long to load.

I can't think of a reason to use it especially given the advancement of Ultrabooks. A Yoga would be far more useful for example.

As for BlackBerry. They're finished so you'll have to change at some point. Don’t be lazy and stick with them because you've always had one. Go get the new Nexus 5 when it comes out and make the jump now. Pointless sticking with a dying company that will be gone in a year.

Nexus 5 or Xperia Z1?

Following my redundancy I'm having to get my own phone, after about 12 years of relying on work to provide one.

Had planned on the Xperia due to camera/waterproof, but theres a lot of chat on here about Nexus.

Convince me!

Â