General Chat (mobiles, tablets, etc.)

leviramsey

Yeah, that's been everywhere this week.   Can't see it happening, it's a guy who is good with photoshop trying to get engineers to invent a product that there is no real business model for.  

• Like 1

Nobody* would buy it either.  The lego phone next to a HTC One or an iPhone 5s on the shelf?  It's going to look like shit. 

*and by that I mean hardly anybody. 

• Like 1

Who would ever want a phone like that?? The idea is interesting, but not feasible and most certainly won't get further than that video.

I'd love to be able to update my phone as if it were a computer, but it will never happen.

But updating computers is outdated now as everything moves to mobile condensed and highly integrated devices like ultraportables and mobile phones.

The idea of updating one part of something independent makes the least sense for phones especially.

It's an interesting idea for geeks. But it's completely daft as any sort of consumer product.

Who would ever want a phone like that?? The idea is interesting, but not feasible and most certainly won't get further than that video.

I'd love to be able to update my phone as if it were a computer, but it will never happen.

But updating computers is outdated now as everything moves to mobile condensed and highly integrated devices like ultraportables and mobile phones.

The idea of updating one part of something independent makes the least sense for phones especially.

It's an interesting idea for geeks. But it's completely daft as any sort of consumer product.

Upgrading computers isn't all dead, not at all. I constantly do mine, my brother in law makes a packet from doing machines for people. 

And I am a geek, so it does interest me :)

My point was that tech is moving away from that type of market and into more integrated hardware and software. Having a removable parts like that, one thing a phone OS takes for granted is the processor, the memory, the camera don't change.

Anyway it is an interesting concept for some people. But since its utterly nonsense pie in the sky stuff we'll never hear of it again.

On an unrelated note.

Do we expect the consolidation to happen by end of next year?

Microsoft, Apple, Google all have a devices division. Then there are the conglomerates Samsung, LG and Sony (who are my bet to buy HTC) then we've the two Chinese companies.

That'll be the phone market players around this time next year.

My point was that tech is moving away from that type of market and into more integrated hardware and software. Having a removable parts like that, one thing a phone OS takes for granted is the processor, the memory, the camera don't change.

Anyway it is an interesting concept for some people. But since its utterly nonsense pie in the sky stuff we'll never hear of it again.

Gotcha.

I wouldn't trade it for my current phone but would certainly love to have one I can change the bits on - for holiday, or work, or blogging, or days out etc.

• 3 weeks later...

My fiancee has informed me that she wants an Apple iPad for Christmas and not the mini iPad. So with a budget up to £450 what is the best spec Apple iPad i can get for my budget? She's not fussed on gaming but wants to browse the internet without being on contract and also wants to watch movies. I've noted Tesco advertising refurbished Apple iPad's on Ebay for just over £300 with a year's warranty or should i just spend my budget on a new one?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/290989699679?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Edited by Morpheus

Have a look at the refurbs on the apple site, depending on how much memory you want I would have thought you could get the latest model in budget.

My fiancee has informed me that she wants an Apple iPad for Christmas and not the mini iPad. So with a budget up to £450 what is the best spec Apple iPad i can get for my budget? She's not fussed on gaming but wants to browse the internet without being on contract and also wants to watch movies. I've noted Tesco advertising refurbished Apple iPad's on Ebay for just over £300 with a year's warranty or should i just spend my budget on a new one?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/290989699679?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Any advice would be much appreciated.

http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/#iPad_Mini

http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/#iPad

New iPads will be out this month.  Wait until an announcement is made and make your mind up there because then you will be able to either get the shiny new one or pick up last years model in a fire sale*.  Personally I would wait to see what they do with the new mini, I think Apple have to go with a retina display (broadly speaking this is marketing speak for a resolution of more than 300 pixels per inch, which is about the resolution where the average human eye cannot see the individual pixels any more) because the current screen on the mini (160ppi) looks shit next to the new Nexus 7 (320ppi) 

*relatively speaking of course, Apple products tend to keep their value.  Buying refurbs directly from Apple in the days after the new iPad announcement is not a bad idea if you want a cheap one.  

Edited by limpid
  • Like 1

'Jim' and 'The_ Rev' thanks very much for your excellent advice. I will take a look on the Apple site at the refurbs but will probably wait to see what the new iPads come in at this month before putting my hand in my pocket although Rev she who must be obeyed wants the bigger screen. :rolleyes:  

Wait until November and then go have her look at the new ipads. I think she doesn't realise how good the mini form factor actually is. So I'd suggest you get her into an apple store next month to look at both devices.

Â