Gabby Agbonlahor

R.Bear

Never has he ever scored enough goals to be classed as a striker and i have seen him go to sleep in a lot of games, his lack of focus is appalling and i don't care where he's from and I'm a Manchester born lad who has always supported Villa!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I've been a supporter of Gabby but he's been a massive dissapointment this season. I'd like to keep him but I don't think he's worth the money he is on.

What will you base your opinion of his new salary on? It will be undisclosed and there is no precedent from Lambert for offering established PL players contracts so he could either be scrooge McDuck or MON.

And like I asked before, how do you know that the likes of Given, Ireland and N'Zogbia are (or were in Ireland's case) high-earners? How do we know Wayne Rooney is on £300k per week? If Gabby is forced to take a significant pay-cut, it won't go unmentioned.

He was coming along nicely, getting into double figures every year and looking like a decent striker, good enough for a top 8 team.  Then Lerner pulled the plug, we sold an entire midfield of England internationals, and appointed a succession of crap managers.  In my opinion, it's no surprise he's looked out of sorts.

I dont actually think hes been too bad this season, just been in rotten form since inexplicably dawdled and wasted that golden chance (Newcastle I think? Memory fails me). Hes definitely better at passing, crossing and he's very good at holding the ball up. Since that miss he seems to be trying to run with the ball whenever he gets it, attempting to do something amazing but running down blind allies. The longer its gone on the worse he's got. He'll be fine though - a lot of our better players have had below par seasons. I still think gabby would look good and be more effective in a team playing well. Hopefully we will do so next season. Its no coincidence (imo) that were rubbish when gabby is in poor form

He was coming along nicely, getting into double figures every year and looking like a decent striker, good enough for a top 8 team.  Then Lerner pulled the plug, we sold an entire midfield of England internationals, and appointed a succession of crap managers.  In my opinion, it's no surprise he's looked out of sorts.

I am inclined to agree with much of this. For three seasons he played almost every game for a top 6 side. He didn't look out of place. In fact he was a key part of that side.

Looking at this season he has, apart from the odd game, on the whole been disappointing. I could also say the same for Benteke and Weimann. We have tightened up slightly defensively this season but attacking wise I think we have gone backwards certainly to what we were producing at the back end of last season.

Edited by markavfc40

I can't say I'm convinced by the argument that if a player hasn't had an offer from another club, that he isn't any good. If he's one of the rare breed of players that is genuinely happy at Villa and wants to stay here all his career, then his agent, if he has one, won't be touting him round, and in my opinion agents are the cause of most transfer stories.

I do agree that Gabby has been disappointing this year, but then so has just about everybody else, and he'd be way down the list of players I'd get rid of first. Gabby and John Carew as a partnership were unplayable at times, and if played up front next to a fully committed Benteke, with a decent midfield behind him I reckon he'd be back to his best. Gabby has always been at his best running at defenders from a proper striker's position in and around the area. He isn't great as a winger, despite his pace making people play him there. Weimann is suffering from the same syndrome this season as well. Just play a proper 4-4-2.

In fairness there isnt many on here saying he is no good. Hes decent and worth 30k a week instead of the 55-60. Especially when the club is chopping everybody on high wages. Giving him a new contract on that money is a slap in the face to every supporter who is trying to defend the clubs austerity measures under lambert

I am inclined to agree with much of this. For three seasons he played almost every game for a top 6 side. He didn't look out of place. In fact he was a key part of that side.

Looking at this season he has, apart from the odd game, on the whole been disappointing. I could also say the same for Benteke and Weimann. We have tightened up slightly defensively this season but attacking wise I think we have gone backwards certainly to what we were producing at the back end of last season.

Can't disagree with that. Hopefully next season we can find the balance of both a little better. At the back Vlaar's performances this year have been the crucial difference, and with Okore to come in we can be optimistic, but going forward this season should have taught us that we can't just rely on the front 3 doing everything for us without better support from midfield.

• Like 1

I'm a Manchester born lad who has always supported Villa!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Why?  :P

Because my first match was the semi final between man u and villa

And Villa are the greatest club ever, of course.

What will you base your opinion of his new salary on? It will be undisclosed and there is no precedent from Lambert for offering established PL players contracts so he could either be scrooge McDuck or MON.

And like I asked before, how do you know that the likes of Given, Ireland and N'Zogbia are (or were in Ireland's case) high-earners? How do we know Wayne Rooney is on £300k per week? If Gabby is forced to take a significant pay-cut, it won't go unmentioned.

I don't have a clue how much N'Zogbia is on. I don't really have a clue how much Given or Ireland earn either but they came from a team whose wage bill is triple ours so its probably a lot. None of those things has any relevance or sets any precedent for what Lambert would offer Agbonlahor with a new contract.

Maybe he'd offer the same, maybe less. Judging by his transfer fee claims PL will just say any old shit to fob off the media and some will believe him some won't. Even a fabled ITK is unlikely to get any info on what he earns.

I don't have a clue how much N'Zogbia is on. I don't really have a clue how much Given or Ireland earn either but they came from a team whose wage bill is triple ours so its probably a lot. None of those things has any relevance or sets any precedent for what Lambert would offer Agbonlahor with a new contract.

Maybe he'd offer the same, maybe less. Judging by his transfer fee claims PL will just say any old shit to fob off the media and some will believe him some won't. Even a fabled ITK is unlikely to get any info on what he earns.

I wouldn't  give Gabby a new contract, he has been shit since MON left apart from about 10 games over the last 4 years

• Like 1

Since his first league goal in 2006, he's our all-time top scorer in the Prem era on 66, averaging 8.25 league goals per season. I don't think that's a terrible record considering the string of woeful managers we've had and being played as a makeshift winger for large periods.

Still one of our best players and deserves to be among the highest earners at the club.

It's not a good line of thought to reward him for being good in the past. You have to look to the future and recognize decreasing pace and more injuries will not be worth it.

I love Gabby and he might have another year or two still in him but he has to go.

Since his first league goal in 2006, he's our all-time top scorer in the Prem era on 66, averaging 8.25 league goals per season. I don't think that's a terrible record considering the string of woeful managers we've had and being played as a makeshift winger for large periods.

Still one of our best players and deserves to be among the highest earners at the club.

8.25 per season is pretty woeful by any standards. One trick pony. Been rumbled by other clubs years ago, thats why his goal ratio gets worse each season.Couldn't give a toss if he is a Villa fan. I'd take a bloody Martian if he scores more than Gabby.

8.25 per season is pretty woeful by any standards. One trick pony. Been rumbled by other clubs years ago, thats why his goal ratio gets worse each season.Couldn't give a toss if he is a Villa fan. I'd take a bloody Martian if he scores more than Gabby.

Nothing to do with the chairman selling all our good players then?  Once upon a time he was playing with John Carew, Ashley Young, Gareth Barry and James Milner.

Nothing to do with the chairman selling all our good players then?  Once upon a time he was playing with John Carew, Ashley Young, Gareth Barry and James Milner.

And they all got great offers from other teams that wanted to pay well for their services.... But Gabby, they didn't come in and offer that great money. Reason?

• Like 1

And the most league goals he scored even surrounded by those players was thirteen. One of the biggest mistakes made by MON was neglecting to buy a prolific striker due to his misguided belief that Gabby could become one.

• Like 1

I still think gabby would look good and be more effective in a team playing well... Its no coincidence (imo) that were rubbish when gabby is in poor form.

Not to nitpick but which is it? Is Gabby playing poorly because we're rubbish or are we rubbish because Gabby is playing poorly?

It can work both ways but realistically if he is to be our highest earner he has to take a lot of the responsibility for the team's poor showing. He certainly has to take responsibility for his own performances, which simply haven't been good enough.

You'd imagine that a player in his late 20s who has been at the club since he was a kid, and is the highest paid member of the squad, might be expected to serve as a leader, someone who can take games by the scruff of the neck and inspire his teammates. He might be a positive influence behind the scenes but it's plain as day that he has neither the mentality nor the ability to do this on the pitch.

• Like 2

Â