Gabby Agbonlahor

R.Bear

He showed what he is really capable of when he took Arsenal to the cleaners on opening day... It was because of him we won that day.

That form visibly lasted about four or five games though teams then started to set up better against him to nullify his threat and now his impact for me is more about forcing the opposition to have to deal with his threat, thus making life easier for our other strikers/midfielders than actually scoring himself. This gives the illusion he does little.

The evidence of this is when he is out injured when we often look powder puff and you can't see where a goal is coming from. Trouble with Gabby is he is more likely to miss a sitter as he is to score and this gives the overriding impression he does nothing and severely affects his goals scored column which is pathetic this season.... But then so is Benteke's by comparison to last season so i think it's more of a team thing than a Gabby thing.

Since his first league goal in 2006, he's our all-time top scorer in the Prem era on 66, averaging 8.25 league goals per season. I don't think that's a terrible record considering the string of woeful managers we've had and being played as a makeshift winger for large periods.

Still one of our best players and deserves to be among the highest earners at the club.

not terrible but the salary we are paying him its not worth it.

look at highest scorers in history and he is behind Duncan Ferguson, Kevin Nolan, Kevin Davies and Chris Armstrong though just ahead of Dean Holdsworth. Actually he is behing Suarez and he had a 5 year head start on him not including his suspensions

Edited by Zatman

I know its buisness and emotions shouldnt get into this, but can you imagine Gabby running around in a stoke or a west ham shirt? Personally, id probably cry...

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/aston-villa-darius-vassell-says-6911475

Aston Villa have been urged to sign up Gabby Agbonlahor on a new deal – because the club’s answer to “Ryan Giggs” would cost a fortune to replace.

That is the verdict of former claret and blue striker Darius Vassell, who feels his fellow Brummie still has plenty to offer.

Agbonlahor has just over a year remaining on his contract and the 27-year-old forward is set to be offered a new deal this summer.

Vassell believes it would suit Agbonlahor and Villa if their current longest-serving player stayed to finish his career at the club. Agbonlahor made his first-team debut eight years ago and Vassell has likened him to Giggs at Manchester United in terms of his stalwart status.

“Right now, where Villa are at, they should keep him and he should sign that deal and continue to progress,” said Vassell.

“I don’t think there’s much else out there for him. He’s a home-grown player, loves the club and his family is based here so why not be another Giggs? Be the Giggs of Villa.

“I don’t know how you replace a player like that, it would cost a lot of money, which we haven’t got now. They need to keep hold of him, look after him and don’t neglect him. He’s an important player.”

Vassell left Villa in his mid-20s, having scored 35 goals in 162 appearances between 1998 and 2005 after progressing through the Bodymoor Heath academy.

He reckons Agbonlahor, a fellow youth team graduate, has reached a similar stage in his claret and blue career, but should stay at his boyhood club.

“He’s at that crossroads – I was at a similar stage,” said Vassell.

“I left when I was 24 and you make that decision, ‘How am I doing at the club’? Gabby is doing well and you know what you’re going to get from him each season.

“He hasn’t had that super season – which he is certainly capable of – where he gets 20 goals single-handedly, but he’s an important player.”

Agbonlahor has only scored three Premier League goals this season, against Southampton, Swansea and Sunderland, but has claimed five assists.

Despite the lack of goals, Vassell believes Villa’s No.11 boasts attributes that many of his team-mates are not blessed with.

“He works hard and there was a time where he was the focal point in our attack,” he added.

“It’s hard for him to be that now but don’t forget Gabby. There are other good players but he offers things which other players don’t have.”

Vassell himself is looking for a return to football for the first time since rupturing his cruciate ligament playing for Leicester in April 2012.

But the 33-year-old former England international admits he is likely to seek a move abroad.

“I think maybe next summer I will look at moving abroad to a team,” he added.

“I think I have done what I need to do over here in England.

“In a hotter climate it won’t affect my joints and bones too much.”

One ex inconsistent striker bigging up one current inconsistent striker. 

On the Vassell article:

''“He hasn’t had that super season – which he is certainly capable of – where he gets 20 goals single-handedly, but he’s an important player.”

Gabby isn't ever likely to 20 goals in a season, isn't 13 his best? and it's deluded to think he can get anything like 20. If he puts away most of his misses then maybe there's a 20 goals striker there.

If Gabby is the "club's answer to Ryan Giggs" then I've a feeling we've failed the exam.

Unfortunately, this might be closer to the truth than you'd hoped:

http://www.avfc.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10265~3636521,00.html

"I'd love to play centre midfield one day. I have always liked the idea of that.

"Sometimes in training in the past I have dropped back in there. I really enjoy it in there.

"I'll be Gabby the playmaker! Maybe when I'm 36 I will move there.

What an utterly moronic argument that is from Vassell. Equating Gabby to Ryan Giggs and believing he is capable of scoring 20 goals in a season despite him never doing this before? Ugh! The best bit is this though:

“I don’t think there’s much else out there for him."

Yes Darius, for him not for us.

• Like 3

If we want to improve then we need to replace Agbonlahor.

He's effective when played in the right capacity but if we really want to improve we'd replace him with someone who has more technique, creativity and better delivery. 

That said, I'd start him today up front, get him to run at the extremely slow Fulham back line. 

Edited by Dr_Pangloss

For me now, where we are, and where we are likely to remain with the present set up, anyone over £50k, or over 25 should be moved on.Theres no pint keeping them, we're not going to win the Lge or cup, or get in to Europe, and we SHOULD remain in the middle of the table, although that is looking dubious atm, so if they are not able to step up , whats the point of keeping them.

Â