Gabby Agbonlahor

R.Bear

For the first few years he seemed to always improve one aspect of his game. He was becoming a good striker. And then shit just went wrong. MON went and I think his desire shifted as the club dropped and new managers shifted him into a wide player. His development as a forward stopped and he's never really recovered, having only odd moments of brilliance. Can still cause problems and be important for us but his role should really be more from the bench this season.

Certainly at his best with Young, Milner and Carew and seemed to get better and better then tailed off drastically when the club went tits up. He did chip in with 12 goals in the 12/13 season and especially at the end of the season seemed to be back to his old form with some important goals but has gone backwards again. I hoped Tim might get him firing again so a spell out may do him some good.

he was much better than Sinclair and had our best chance of the game, along with Westwood the easiest player to get criticism

I dare not even enter the Westwood thread for that reason :P

Not making any points about which was better, they were all much of muchness for me.

However I've been wracking my brains trying to think of our best chance of the game that Gabby had? Can you jog my memory?

The best chance I can remember was the one Ayew had when he made a yard just outside the box but put it high and wide.

His finishing is atrocious overall. His football brain is none existant 90% of the time. But lets bum him because hes villa through and through.

There is no median line with people like you is there?

People like me? Don't perceive to know me. I don't rate him. Its my opinion.

Edited by tsimutv

His finishing is atrocious overall. His football brain is none existant 90% of the time. But lets bum him because hes villa through and through.

Isn't that pretty much what you did by saying "Let's bum him because he's Villa through and through"?. Basically childish sarcasm aimed at anyone who doesn't agree that he is totally useless and has always been shite, never a premier league player etc? Some of us may actually acknowledge all of his faults and ineffectiveness at times without extreme statements seemingly for effect? May I ask, how many season have you ACTUALLY watched Villa for? As I said, i'[m sure all of us can see when he has been turd, as with alot of other players, but fact is it seems some of you have straight go to scapegoats without any sort of balanced or realistic arguments.

Also, why should VILLA fans not have affinity for a product of the youth most of us have watched develop all the way up from the academy, scoring a lot of important and impressive goals along the way?

Realistically I am sure it's Gabby supporters who are actually his biggest critics when he has been shite, but we are also sensible enough to look at the larger scope of things.

Anyway this argument has been done to death, pointless!

Please find example of someone "bumming him because he's Villa through and through".

The only people that bring up the fact he's Villa through and through or "one of us" are people moaning about other people saying that...even though no one does!

For the first few years he seemed to always improve one aspect of his game. He was becoming a good striker. And then shit just went wrong. MON went and I think his desire shifted as the club dropped and new managers shifted him into a wide player. His development as a forward stopped and he's never really recovered, having only odd moments of brilliance. Can still cause problems and be important for us but his role should really be more from the bench this season.

MON ruined him... improved in nothing but bulk 'cause gym work is so important. Hear this fastest player in the league what you need to do is bulk up and play with your back to goal because Heskey is a world class player doing that or something something.

ffs, he can hardly control the ball these days. He is so bloody frustrating because he had all the ingredients to be a solid 10yr 10-15 goals a season player :(

• Like 1

MON ruined him... improved in nothing but bulk 'cause gym work is so important. Hear this fastest player in the league what you need to do is bulk up and play with your back to goal because Heskey is a world class player doing that or something something.

ffs, he can hardly control the ball these days. He is so bloody frustrating because he had all the ingredients to be a solid 10yr 10-15 goals a season player :(

Not how I remember it. Under MON his goal scoring improved each season. It was then houllier, McLeish and Lambert who decided he should be a wide player.

Isn't that pretty much what you did by saying "Let's bum him because he's Villa through and through"?. Basically childish sarcasm aimed at anyone who doesn't agree that he is totally useless and has always been shite, never a premier league player etc? Some of us may actually acknowledge all of his faults and ineffectiveness at times without extreme statements seemingly for effect? May I ask, how many season have you ACTUALLY watched Villa for? As I said, i'[m sure all of us can see when he has been turd, as with alot of other players, but fact is it seems some of you have straight go to scapegoats without any sort of balanced or realistic arguments.

Also, why should VILLA fans not have affinity for a product of the youth most of us have watched develop all the way up from the academy, scoring a lot of important and impressive goals along the way?

Realistically I am sure it's Gabby supporters who are actually his biggest critics when he has been shite, but we are also sensible enough to look at the larger scope of things.

Anyway this argument has been done to death, pointless!

I appreciate that, im 31 so been watching a fair while. Not that it really matters. I have never rated him, its that simple. I apologise for my previous post but in my eyes gabby is only good now and then. Its not enough to warrant constant selection and contracts. Hes below average more than not which is why i don't rate him.

My frustration with Gabby stems from him never becoming the player he was capable of being. I remember when he burst onto the scene just at the end of the DOL years. He was being raved about in the reserves and when I first saw him play in the first team I though wow we have very good player on our hands and for the first few seasons he really was the business. There was ever talk of Wenger wanting him at Arsenal. He was never prolific, I think he scored 15 in one season (maybe wrong on that) but crucially he terrified defences with his speed and created space for the other attackers. In those days too some of his finishing was sublime.

Yes he did bulk out and probably too much and yes he has been played wide but neither should stop him being a good player. He still has real pace, not as quick but enough but for me he left his footballing brain in the dressing room a few seasons ago. His body language suggests to me he is almost disinterested and I think that is because not only has he gone stale at Villa but also he is also secure in the knowledge that he will almost certainly start. I think that is because we lack alternatives, although maybe this season will be different, and managers still see his pace as an advantage. 

He had never really had to fight for a place in the side at the club he loves and that shows in his whole demeanour. He is just not challenged. I still think there is a very good player in there. I just wish we could see him but I like many fans are running our of patience.

• Like 2

he left his footballing brain in the dressing room a few seasons ago.

IMO the reason he never pushed on was because 1. he has no intelligence for the game and 2. an extremely poor touch. He's just a average premiership footballer and because of that he makes £60k a week. Not bad if you can get it.

• Like 1

he was much better than Sinclair and had our best chance of the game, along with Westwood the easiest player to get criticism

I dare not even enter the Westwood thread for that reason :P

Not making any points about which was better, they were all much of muchness for me.

However I've been wracking my brains trying to think of our best chance of the game that Gabby had? Can you jog my memory?

The best chance I can remember was the one Ayew had when he made a yard just outside the box but put it high and wide.

2nd half header from a corner which I think Romero saved

probably wasnt best clear cut chance but probably most work we gave Romero in goal

Edited by Zatman
  • Like 1

My frustration with Gabby stems from him never becoming the player he was capable of being. I remember when he burst onto the scene just at the end of the DOL years. He was being raved about in the reserves and when I first saw him play in the first team I though wow we have very good player on our hands and for the first few seasons he really was the business. There was ever talk of Wenger wanting him at Arsenal. He was never prolific, I think he scored 15 in one season (maybe wrong on that) but crucially he terrified defences with his speed and created space for the other attackers. In those days too some of his finishing was sublime.

Yes he did bulk out and probably too much and yes he has been played wide but neither should stop him being a good player. He still has real pace, not as quick but enough but for me he left his footballing brain in the dressing room a few seasons ago. His body language suggests to me he is almost disinterested and I think that is because not only has he gone stale at Villa but also he is also secure in the knowledge that he will almost certainly start. I think that is because we lack alternatives, although maybe this season will be different, and managers still see his pace as an advantage. 

He had never really had to fight for a place in the side at the club he loves and that shows in his whole demeanour. He is just not challenged. I still think there is a very good player in there. I just wish we could see him but I like many fans are running our of patience.

In all honesty i would challenge your view that he didn't become the player he was capable of. It suggests that now he should be better than he is.Harry with respect and its just my view that his starting point was so low and yes i admit to never rating him, that he could never become any better than what he is now. What you see is what you get.

What do you mean 'You People?'

Downey-Junior-Tropic-Thunder.jpg

• Like 2

He should never have been given another contract. He is just as ineffective in the centre as he is out wide. If the guys we are bringing in are not better than him, and are not able to displace him, then I would fear for our future.

• Like 1

Not how I remember it. Under MON his goal scoring improved each season. It was then houllier, McLeish and Lambert who decided he should be a wide player.

I think he means technically. Gabby was great under MON because he did his simple job, erm...simply. Wide or inside he still hasn't come on as a technical player plus why didn't Gabby work harder himself to improve technically or mentally? Stupid? Lazy? Not good enough? Any one of these reasons are enough to think about dropping him to squad status...though perhaps we're not big enough to start sacking players like Gabby.

Â