Gabby Agbonlahor

R.Bear

I don' think Gabby should be a regular starter going forward but the one question I always have is that if Gabby is that poor, why does every Villa manager have him as a regular starter?

I made this point on another thread, but Gabby is a great player to have in the team if you have a goal scorer alongside him. The runs he makes create space for someone like Benteke to really thrive. The unfortunate thing is, most of the rest of his game is average at best, so when we're not scoring many goals he looks pretty shit

It was 7 years ago almost to the day (Aug 17th) when he scored the striker's hat trick(left-foot, right-foot, header) against Man City. What a player you thought. Only managed 8 more for the season(goal numbers include all comps). Had has best season after that with 16 goals.

Then the last 5 seasons read:

5, 6, 12, 4, 6

You can say what you like about managers, injuries etc but those numbers are are just not good enough. 6.6 goals/season in all comps the last 5 from one of your main strikers.

It's his general attitude for the last few seasons, the way he carries himself like it's just a job and he's going through the motions. I went off him seasons ago and the odd game where he turns up and wins a game has worn off. It's like battered wife syndrome.

How many games has he actually played as striker in those seasons you've mentioned? If I recall correctly, we've pretty much always gone one up top in the Bent/Benteke years and Gabby has played wide.

6/7 a season seems like a decent return from a winger who plays the odd game up top. Unlike a lot of strikers, he's never padded his figures with penalties either.

There is a reason he hasn't been played as a striker though,,see his Bournemouth performance.

Here here; the whole played as a wide man theory is more than a little tiresome now. IMO he's simply no better when played down the middle.
  • Like 1

It was 7 years ago almost to the day (Aug 17th) when he scored the striker's hat trick(left-foot, right-foot, header) against Man City. What a player you thought. Only managed 8 more for the season(goal numbers include all comps). Had has best season after that with 16 goals.

5, 6, 12, 4, 6

You can say what you like about managers, injuries etc but those numbers are are just not good enough. 6.6 goals/season in all comps the last 5 from one of your main strikers.

It's his general attitude for the last few seasons, the way he carries himself like it's just a job and he's going through the motions. I went off him seasons ago and the odd game where he turns up and wins a game has worn off. It's like battered wife syndrome.

How many games has he actually played as striker in those seasons you've mentioned? If I recall correctly, we've pretty much always gone one up top in the Bent/Benteke years and Gabby has played wide.

6/7 a season seems like a decent return from a winger who plays the odd game up top. Unlike a lot of strikers, he's never padded his figures with penalties either.

There is a reason he hasn't been played as a striker though,,see his Bournemouth performance.

Here here; the whole played as a wide man theory is more than a little tiresome now. IMO he's simply no better when played down the middle.
It's more to do with his goal return. Crying about a goal return of 6/7 a season for someone playing wide, because he's listed as a striker on the site, is a bit weird. When played up top his return his mostly been decent.

Doug, please " tons of natural ability" where, when? I've never seen this. This really is stretching it a little too far imo.

Mostly physical. Had.

But what is that supposed to mean, tons of natural physical ability? I prefer to watch players in my team with natural technical ability, something he is shockingly low on. and no he didn't start to recapture his so called previous good form before picking up an injury last season. He had 2-3 half decent games that's all. Why is it Gabby fans seem to want to latch on to any modicum of form to laud him up as some form of returning saviour? If this guy wasn't a brummie who followed the club he would have been hounded out years ago.
I didn't mention technical ability. All I did was state my opinion about his natural physical ability. You may not like it, but it is part of the game, running, jumping, using strength. He's good at those things, very, very good.

If "2-3 games (more like 5-6) is not the definition of "STARTING to recapture" then I don't know what is. We fundamentally disagree on the level of performance though clearly, we had that argument at the time so no point reiterating it.

The rest of your post is just tosh. I'm an Aston Villa fan with an opinion on one of its players, whatever works for the club.

Doug 5-6 games ? Your either kidding yourself or clutching at straws to bolster your argument. And with due respect Doug, you bought this up again not me.

Ok.

No, you quoted my post.

Playing down the middle regularly he hit 10, 11, 13 and 16. Good goal returns. Even out wide he hit 12 the one year. Double figures in 5/9 full seasons for someone who has been a winger most of his career is more than a good return.There's a reason he's lasted for a decade, under a bunch of managers.

Playing down the middle regularly he hit 10, 11, 13 and 16. Good goal returns. Even out wide he hit 12 the one year. Double figures in 5/9 full seasons for someone who has been a winger most of his career is more than a good return.There's a reason he's lasted for a decade, under a bunch of managers.

Can someone please tell me the last time he hit double figures? Without double checking I fear it's a while back now. And can anyone realistically see him doing it again anytime soon?

Can someone please tell me the last time he hit double figures? Without double checking I fear it's a while back now. And can anyone realistically see him doing it again anytime soon?
2 years ago he got 13 in 38 or something. Previous to that he did it 4 years in a row up until 10/11, the only 4 years he's been a regular striker. Then it was Bent/Benteke. His return ad a striker was OK, his return as a winger is very good.

His overall play? It's average, never said otherwise, but his goal return for the positions he's played hasn't been bad

5, 6, 12, 4, 6

Dougs stance on this reassures me that my opinion of gabby is right....he is terrible

i reckon he has something written in his new contract that when he is declared 100% fit to play that he plays... why else would he keep getting game time

If that's the case.. You know what to do Clark.. You know what to do.. 

i reckon he has something written in his new contract that when he is declared 100% fit to play that he plays... why else would he keep getting game time

If that's the case.. You know what to do Clark.. You know what to do.. 

Hasn't Rooney got something written in his Man Utd contract that when he is delcared fit that he starts.. I wouldn't be suprised if this is the case for other players at other clubs..

5, 6, 12, 4, 6

Dougs stance on this reassures me that my opinion of gabby is right....he is terrible
Your opinion is just that, an opinion. There is no "right" in something entirely subjective.

Â