Gabby Agbonlahor

R.Bear

Don't believe he has lost it. He can still put in a performance, unfortunately though its very rare.

I still love him to bits, but I think he will need to smarten up this season, or else he will end up being a squad player an rarely get a game. I hope personally he knows this.

The worrying thing is no manager has ever dropped him for more than a game or two. He has had a free pass for the past five years and so far under Sherwood (albeit a limited time) it's continued.

It's like he manages to be shit for maybe 6-7 games and it looks like he'll be dropped and then he decides to have a good game and scores a goal and we win. Rinse and repeat. Get Gestede fit and into the starting lineup instead of Gabby as soon as possible.

I know, it's almost as if these professional managers earning tens of thousands of pounds a week who's only job is to judge players ability and who see those players every day know more about them than we fans do? Madness

Weedman with due respect, there are so many supporters on here these days all saying the same thing that he's not good enough, we simply all can't be wrong. Houlier would have had him out if he had not fallen ill. We all know he got lucky last year when Benteke got red carded against spuds, and Sherwood didn't pick him for the cup final, he's also signed lots of players whom one of which will shortly be having his place, so i think there's a pretty strong counter argument here

• Like 1

We've had two games of a season where he's played reasonably, he's not been good and we've been a bit disjointed in both games, but he's not been awful either, bang average in both games.

He's also been made club captain and started every game so far and in pre-season. This thread is strange. He'll play 30 games this season. 

Not strange in anyway at all. I like many others on here are expecting him to lose his place very shortly. I said recently you cannot offer so little for so long and get away with it, certainly not with the competition for places that we now have. The Club captain scenario also means nothing really. Ask any player if they would prefer to be club captain or team captain, this is a no brainer.  

needs to be kept as far away from the team as possible because at the moment he is not contributing

but we have sunderlnd soon and hes always good for a performance and goal aginst them. if he strugles against sunderland we really do need to get rid

• Like 1

Don't believe he has lost it. He can still put in a performance, unfortunately though its very rare.

I still love him to bits, but I think he will need to smarten up this season, or else he will end up being a squad player an rarely get a game. I hope personally he knows this.

The worrying thing is no manager has ever dropped him for more than a game or two. He has had a free pass for the past five years and so far under Sherwood (albeit a limited time) it's continued.

It's like he manages to be shit for maybe 6-7 games and it looks like he'll be dropped and then he decides to have a good game and scores a goal and we win. Rinse and repeat. Get Gestede fit and into the starting lineup instead of Gabby as soon as possible.

I know, it's almost as if these professional managers earning tens of thousands of pounds a week who's only job is to judge players ability and who see those players every day know more about them than we fans do? Madness

Weedman with due respect, there are so many supporters on here these days all saying the same thing that he's not good enough, we simply all can't be wrong. Houlier would have had him out if he had not fallen ill. We all know he got lucky last year when Benteke got red carded against spuds, and Sherwood didn't pick him for the cup final, he's also signed lots of players whom one of which will shortly be having his place, so i think there's a pretty strong counter argument here
Well supporters thinking he's not good enough doesn't exactly disprove my point though does it? I mean, an argument could be made for 1 manager simply having him as a "favourite" who plays regardless, but how many managers has he worked under now? It is not simply a coincidence that all these managers continue to select him. He hasn't been great in these opening 2 games, but he didn't have much of a pre season and is still getting up to speed (like a few other players) and a lack of match fitness is always more noticeable with a physical player like him or Ayew.

Your points about Houllier getting rid if he'd stayed or he would have been dropped if Benteke hadn't gotten suspended is no different from me saying he will score 12-15 goals if played as a striker for a season. I genuinely believe that as I'm sure you genuinely believe he would be gone if not for a few lucky breaks. The point is it's all ifs and maybes. I think he didn't start the final as he was injured for the semi final and Sherwood wanted the same team out there, but it could be that he was dropped and it was the beginning of the end, no one really knows

No one is ever going to claim he's the best player we have, or the player to fire us into the Champions League, but he is quite simply nowhere remotely near as bad as he is made out to be on here, and his continued selection in the team for various different managers throughout his career shows that.

If one of our newcomers replaces him then great - that means they will offer more to the team than he does and that's a good thing for Aston Villa considering what Gabby does offer the team. Personally as I like Gabby I hope he will step up and improve and continue to play his part for us whether thats as a squad player or a starter, but if not I'm confident Sherwood knows what he's doing, and it'll be because the new boys are better.

• Like 1

Well supporters thinking he's not good enough doesn't exactly disprove my point though does it? I mean, an argument could be made for 1 manager simply having him as a "favourite" who plays regardless, but how many managers has he worked under now? It is not simply a coincidence that all these managers continue to select him. He hasn't been great in these opening 2 games, but he didn't have much of a pre season and is still getting up to speed (like a few other players) and a lack of match fitness is always more noticeable with a physical player like him or Ayew.

Your points about Houllier getting rid if he'd stayed or he would have been dropped if Benteke hadn't gotten suspended is no different from me saying he will score 12-15 goals if played as a striker for a season. I genuinely believe that as I'm sure you genuinely believe he would be gone if not for a few lucky breaks. The point is it's all ifs and maybes. I think he didn't start the final as he was injured for the semi final and Sherwood wanted the same team out there, but it could be that he was dropped and it was the beginning of the end, no one really knows

No one is ever going to claim he's the best player we have, or the player to fire us into the Champions League, but he is quite simply nowhere remotely near as bad as he is made out to be on here, and his continued selection in the team for various different managers throughout his career shows that.

If one of our newcomers replaces him then great - that means they will offer more to the team than he does and that's a good thing for Aston Villa considering what Gabby does offer the team. Personally as I like Gabby I hope he will step up and improve and continue to play his part for us whether thats as a squad player or a starter, but if not I'm confident Sherwood knows what he's doing, and it'll be because the new boys are better.

There is nothing wrong with liking a player and bigging him up....its called opinions....but remember there is a subtle difference between liking a player and rating a player....I don't think any Villa Fans dislike Gabby, they just don't rate him as high as some that like him do.

To use the point that all managers have played him so he must be ok....I'm not so sure that holds much water with me as the club has hardly been run in the past to offer the managers competition for places....Lambert himself has recently come out and made reference to not having sufficient funds ( another debate)

I don't want to get in to a negative debate over Gabby.....I just hope he is able to do the business for us.

The only thing that I am unsure about is all those fans that like him.....at what point ( if at all) do they come out and say he isn't doing it......I guess thats down to the manager, he will pick his best team

Edited by TRO

Rubbish, technically inept sprinter... and he acts like his afraid he'll travel back in time or something given how rarely he bothers to even do that.

Pity he's on such a large contract or else we'd have a chance of getting rid, stuck with him same as 'pool with Mario. I wonder if we could do a swap?!?

Man up Tim!!!

I don't know that he'll be on such a huge contract any more.

He would have had to be realistic about his chances of finding another PL gig, and the club would have pointed to his age and his goal scoring record. Judging by the statement "It just wouldn't have felt right to pull on another team's shirt." he was offered less money and took the offer. Maybe I'm just reading too much into that.

Anyway, imo Gabby has played well a lot more recently than people give him credit for. His performances recently have not warranted a place in the team, but I'd love for him to stay at the club, sort himself out, and have an Indian summer career-wise. He is good enough if his head is right and he's not overweight, which I think he currently is a bit.

• Like 1

needs to be kept as far away from the team as possible because at the moment he is not contributing

but we have sunderlnd soon and hes always good for a performance and goal aginst them. if he strugles against sunderland we really do need to get rid

Not against them at home though.

Do not want him here. How he is fit to wear the shirt is beyond me. Never will be a villa great in my eyes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k46ejvF2BFE

Always been proper shite. I swear this Gabby hate NEVER ceases to amaze me, even if he doesn't live up to what I would only refer to as fairweather fans hype. I will never get the over the top venom towards him! Ridiculous! "Never been a premier league player" along with a whole lot of other tripe I have repeatedley read on here. some of you could spare me the stress and go and do some research on his prior Villa career before chatting absolute bull. ONCE again, the irony of how majority of the time he has been "shite" so has the team, or he was being played as a winger!

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 1

That video makes me sad. He clearly has the potential. So what stops him? Heart? No. Effort? Maybe. Played on the wrong role or with bad players? Sometimes. Or simply not good enough and has just had a few good days like all players can. Yes!

If you look at Gabbys highlight reel you'd think he was a world beater. As you should with any well put together highlight reel! 

For years I have said he is overrated and a player best utilised by sending him on with 20/25 mins to go when the legs of the opposition defenders are getting heavy. I understand a fair point made that lots of managers at Villa have picked him but rightly or wrongly I judge on competitive performance and at best Gabby is hit and miss regardless of effort and attitude shown in training. The amount of chances missed and misplaced passes, poor runs etc really do add up and whilst there is no denying when it does all come together, he can be unplayable, its so rare that it doesn't add up to keep him in the first 11.

Do not want him here. How he is fit to wear the shirt is beyond me. Never will be a villa great in my eyes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k46ejvF2BFE

Always been proper shite. I swear this Gabby hate NEVER ceases to amaze me, even if he doesn't live up to what I would only refer to as fairweather fans hype. I will never get the over the top venom towards him! Ridiculous! "Never been a premier league player" along with a whole lot of other tripe I have repeatedley read on here. some of you could spare me the stress and go and do some research on his prior Villa career before chatting absolute bull. ONCE again, the irony of how majority of the time he has been "shite" so has the team, or he was being played as a winger!

From 06/07 to 09/10 he was good and again in the 12/13 season he was fairly good. I'd say he has had 4 good seasons in a villa shirt personally and 1 okay season along with 3 fairly crap ones. A bit of a mix bag and to be fair he really needs a good one this season as he has been poor in the last two so maybe it is time for him to be dropped which I wouldn't argue against. To say he has been shite his whole career at Villa and isn't fit to wear the shirt are ridiculous comments. To be honest Gabby has provided me with some of the best moments over the last 9 years as a supporter especially his knack for scoring against the blues, he has also scored some great goals and some very important ones too, plus there was that wonderful hat trick against Man City.

I don't think he is a villa great but I have seen a lot worse in in a Villa shirt over the last 30 years and some of the hate thrown towards him is very over the top IMO.

• Like 2

For the first few years he seemed to always improve one aspect of his game. He was becoming a good striker. And then shit just went wrong. MON went and I think his desire shifted as the club dropped and new managers shifted him into a wide player. His development as a forward stopped and he's never really recovered, having only odd moments of brilliance. Can still cause problems and be important for us but his role should really be more from the bench this season.

Â