General Next Manager Topic?? (everything other than Lambert)

donnie

Benitez would be my choice, although perhaps he's a tad unrealistic. Of the realistic options, Martinez is my choice.

We're a joke at the minute.
How so?

We let a tiny club in Norway make a fool out of us, a tiny club in England make a fool out of us this time last year, then we stooped to Birminghams level in appointing McLeish, defending his decision to leave them on grounds that the job was untenable and going to a trial to sort out comp for him. Not including the empty seats, protest etc. We have no squad bar 8 players and a few kids, no manager, no contact with the fans. Some one said it a few days ago and it didnt get half as much attention as it should what we need is a Peter Kenyon type because at the end of the day that man is always going to earn his wages no matter who he crosses or how much he is hated. Randy & PF are worried about stepping on people's toes.

Don't you think we should wait and see who we appoint first?

I probably should, but how can I have faith in a board that appointed Houiller, who was clearly passed his sell by date, then factor in that he wouldnt be taking over till November, had a bad ticker & how do they follow up that? Alex McLeish. At the end of the day when you appoint a manager you either up grade like Chelsea did when they sacked 2nd place Claudio Ranieri for Jose Mourinho or you bottle it and appoint the cheap option like so many clubs have, eg Terry Connors. When O'Neill left we downgraded and downgraded even further with McLeish but at this moment in time I can not see this board appointing someone better or even close to O'Neill in terms of managerial ability, and lets face it he had a lot of flaws.

It really wouldn't suprise me if Grayson got the job...

Me neither. It would be a little on the underwhelming side.

As it stands, he is our level of aim at the moment...(That hurt even as I typed it)

Then why type it if it is pure speculation?

A little! I'd be hugely underwhelmed if they brought him in. Can't say I have much confidence in anything the people at the top of our club do at the moment. Time will tell.

And the award for Understatement of the Year goes too......... :)

Grayson would be a disaster of McLeish proportions. I though his Leeds team played pretty shit football. Lerner may like Grayson as he is use to working with no money as Bates didnt give him much at Leeds, other than that reason I cant think of any other qualities Grayson has

I really can't see us employing or even getting close to unveiling a top class manager as our new manager.

Negative, I know, but I really think that our ceiling for employee's is getting aimed at managers that want to make the step 'up' (Grayson, Poyet, OGS, Lambert, KM, Rodgers, Di Canio) rather than proven successful managers that would be willing to make a step that could tarnish their past successes (RDM, Ranieri, AVB, Bilic, Rafa)

The state of our squad I think the manager needs to be in place pretty quickly actually. It is no good the board, or others, thinking we have time as it is still only May and the season doesn't start until August. We need someone in to start making plans and recruiting new people.

The state of our squad I think the manager needs to be in place pretty quickly actually. It is no good the board, or others, thinking we have time as it is still only May and the season doesn't start until August. We need someone in to start making plans and recruiting new people.

Spot on. We need to get in first for once, because we've got a hell of a lot to do.

Agreed, which is why I find it a bit strange that reports from VP are that the board won't be rushed. Well frankly board, free agents are already talking to prospective clubs and agreeing contracts with them. If we still have to "trade carefully" which I suspect we do, then surely it's more beneficial to just make a decision on a candidate and try to work out the details and get him on board so we can start signing some Bosman deals.

Father Abrahams hasn't reported that Lambert is our Nr 1 target for at least 6 hours

I hope he's ok

Is that Tim? Everything I have seen is him saying the appountment will be left field.

Nursey is the one banging the Lambert drum.

that want to make the step 'up' (Grayson, Poyet, OGS, Lambert, KM, Rodgers, Di Canio)

KM?

Not sure you can put Grayson in the same bracket as the others (let's take KM? out for the minute)

The others would be ambitious hungry forwward thinking managers who in a few years we may never be able to attract. Grayson cannot be described as either ambitious, forward thinking or hungry (unless it is food) and I doubt that we will fall so low as to not be able to attract him, because that it what it would take. With others it is their stock rising that will take them out of our range, with Grayson it is our stock plummeting that takes him out of our range.

On saying that Grayson is in a group of people that I really fear our board are looking at.

I pray that they surprise me and appoint Lambert and back him in the transfer market

This.

We need someone who will start work immediately, weigh up the back room team, sort out the scouts all before a ball is kicked at the euros. I know for a fact that the chairman of one of my local clubs is a scout for Leeds and the only fee he gets is he goes over to 2 or 3 games a season and gets treated like royalty. Who hard can that be to get in place. We obvioulsy have someone in place somewhere with the like of Steiber, Weimann, Siergiest being approached at a young age but we need a complete revamp of the scouting network.