General Next Manager Topic?? (everything other than Lambert)

donnie

Benitez would be my choice, although perhaps he's a tad unrealistic. Of the realistic options, Martinez is my choice.

We're a joke at the minute.
How so?

We let a tiny club in Norway make a fool out of us, a tiny club in England make a fool out of us this time last year, then we stooped to Birminghams level in appointing McLeish, defending his decision to leave them on grounds that the job was untenable and going to a trial to sort out comp for him. Not including the empty seats, protest etc. We have no squad bar 8 players and a few kids, no manager, no contact with the fans. Some one said it a few days ago and it didnt get half as much attention as it should what we need is a Peter Kenyon type because at the end of the day that man is always going to earn his wages no matter who he crosses or how much he is hated. Randy & PF are worried about stepping on people's toes.

Don't you think we should wait and see who we appoint first?

I probably should, but how can I have faith in a board that appointed Houiller, who was clearly passed his sell by date, then factor in that he wouldnt be taking over till November, had a bad ticker & how do they follow up that? Alex McLeish. At the end of the day when you appoint a manager you either up grade like Chelsea did when they sacked 2nd place Claudio Ranieri for Jose Mourinho or you bottle it and appoint the cheap option like so many clubs have, eg Terry Connors. When O'Neill left we downgraded and downgraded even further with McLeish but at this moment in time I can not see this board appointing someone better or even close to O'Neill in terms of managerial ability, and lets face it he had a lot of flaws.

I don't think Houllier was necessarily a bad appointment given the circumstances at the time. He actually took over in late September, not November. Alas, it was his health that was his downfall, which I guess was kind of predictable (although he was passed fit before he took up the job).

McLeish was an incredibly bad appointment and I still can't understand why they did it. However, I think we should wait until the new manager is in before saying things like "we're a joke".

Benitez would be my choice, although perhaps he's a tad unrealistic. Of the realistic options, Martinez is my choice.

We're a joke at the minute.
How so?

We let a tiny club in Norway make a fool out of us, a tiny club in England make a fool out of us this time last year, then we stooped to Birminghams level in appointing McLeish, defending his decision to leave them on grounds that the job was untenable and going to a trial to sort out comp for him. Not including the empty seats, protest etc. We have no squad bar 8 players and a few kids, no manager, no contact with the fans. Some one said it a few days ago and it didnt get half as much attention as it should what we need is a Peter Kenyon type because at the end of the day that man is always going to earn his wages no matter who he crosses or how much he is hated. Randy & PF are worried about stepping on people's toes.

Don't you think we should wait and see who we appoint first?

I probably should, but how can I have faith in a board that appointed Houiller, who was clearly passed his sell by date, then factor in that he wouldnt be taking over till November, had a bad ticker & how do they follow up that? Alex McLeish. At the end of the day when you appoint a manager you either up grade like Chelsea did when they sacked 2nd place Claudio Ranieri for Jose Mourinho or you bottle it and appoint the cheap option like so many clubs have, eg Terry Connors. When O'Neill left we downgraded and downgraded even further with McLeish but at this moment in time I can not see this board appointing someone better or even close to O'Neill in terms of managerial ability, and lets face it he had a lot of flaws.

I don't think Houllier was necessarily a bad appointment given the circumstances at the time. He actually took over in late September, not November. Alas, it was his health that was his downfall, which I guess was kind of predictable (although he was passed fit before he took up the job).

McLeish was an incredibly bad appointment and I still can't understand why they did it. However, I think we should wait until the new manager is in before saying things like "we're a joke".

Was it September, dont know where I got November from. He was hardly setting the world alight though and a 9th place finish very much flattered us that year as we did flirt with relegation. From the generals comments I see it as they thought McLeish had done a good job at Birmingham, 9th, then a league cup. He clearly stated that he was no longer allowed to do his job and in some sense conned his way into the job, the board applied McLeish to the squad we had and thought with backing that he couldnt do too bad and might sneak a trophy. However they seem to be learning from their mistakes, in appointing Houiller they realized they needed a younger man so approached Martinez & eventually McLeish. I just hope they now know they need a really great manager or we will go down and they have to back him.

Houllier's age wasn't the problem, it was his health. I'd happily take Ranieri right now for example.

He was also a surrender monkey who struggled to get results.

He wasn't that bad. Better than McLeish as least.

I'd happily take Ranieri right now for example.

On what possible grounds would you be happy with Ranieri ?

Hasnt he had the sack from 7 of his last 10 jobs ?

That makes no sense to me

Houllier's age wasn't the problem, it was his health. I'd happily take Ranieri right now for example.

He was also a surrender monkey who struggled to get results.

He wasn't that bad. Better than McLeish as least.

Better than McLeish sure but that is setting the bar very very low.

nothing wrong with them taking their time. But they have already taken it, they have had enough time to get this into the final stages now.

I`m a big supporter of randy but this is showing a him up as a bit lacklustre to be honest, either that or he is indecisive.