General Next Manager Topic?? (everything other than Lambert)

donnie

we'll take 6 points off the two of them, like last season
Don't know what season you were watching. :lol:

Sat Oct 1 2011, Villa 2-0 Wigan

Sat Nov 5 2011, Villa 3-2 Norwich

Which part of that doesn't add up to 6 points

Oh, I thought you meant we took 6 points off of them both.

I don't really see what that proves though. Norwich beat us 2-0 with ease at their place.

Since o'Neill has left players that have left the club.

Keane

Milner

Young x2

Friedel

Jenas

Heskey

Beye

Downing

Heskey

Shorey

Pires

Walker

Bradley

Sidwell

Davies

Guzan

Cuellar

Carew

Hogg

Osbourne

Keane

Milner

Young x2

Friedel

Jenas

Heskey

Beye

Downing

Heskey

Shorey

Pires

Walker

Bradley

Sidwell

Davies

Guzan

Cuellar

Carew

Hogg

Osbourne

5 of them were only on loan/short term deals though.

To be honest I may sound like I lack ambition in saying this but I will take anyone at this stage. I am coming to the conclusion that every manager is a risk and not every manager is going to work at our club, this can be said for anyone. We could sign Mourinho and have him not succeed but on the other end of the spectrum we could sign Di Matteo and win the league, in the end we do not know what the future holds for us.. Benitez could get us into the Champions League but he could very easily not, so I am just going to sit back now and whether it's Benitez, KMac, Poyet, Lambert, Martinez, Hoddle or AVB I no longer care as all of them could fail as easily as they could succeed.

Me too. They've all got their pros and cons but at least they aren't our previous manager. Just wish they'd announce it fairly sharpish.

Keane

Milner

Young x2

Friedel

Jenas

Heskey

Beye

Downing

Heskey

Shorey

Pires

Walker

Bradley

Sidwell

Davies

Guzan

Cuellar

Carew

Hogg

Osbourne

......And? What's the point you're trying to prove?

Keane

Milner

Young x2

Friedel

Jenas

Heskey

Beye

Downing

Heskey

Shorey

Pires

Walker

Bradley

Sidwell

Davies

Guzan

Cuellar

Carew

Hogg

Osbourne

I'm glad we got rid of the Heskey twins. That's saved us 120 grand a week! :lol:

I thought Ole was flavour of the month? They can't all be. It might be that people have wanted Martinez for a while because he has kept Wigan up 3 years on the trot. It's a possibility. The club wanted him 12 months ago which kinda makes him flavour of the decade.

So is that your criteria for a manager? Somebody who is going to keep Villa up for the next 3 years.

I'm going to assume you're not stupid enough to compare the abilities of Wigan to stay in the league with the abilities of Villa to stay in the league. Or to put it another way, Martinez has performed minor miracles at Wigan. If he can keep them up for 3 years with their resources, imagine what he could do at a club that is set up to be an ever-present Premier League side.

So yes, someone who can keep WIGAN in the PL for 3 years is the kind of manager who should be looked at. Liverpool certainly seem to think so too and I'm going to hazard a guess that their ambition isn't only to stay in the Premier League for the next 3 years either.

Raffa who has managed at that level.
As I will no doubt have to repeat between now and us hiring a manager, Rafa has been a complete and utter disaster since he fell out with his number 2. You can pinpoint the downturn in his results to the point where he fell out with Pako Ayseteran. So there's no way I want that spent damaged POS near the club.

Both Lambert and Martinez arent proven at that level. They might turn out to be able to manage at that level but why should Villa take the chance. We deserve somebody who is proven already.
I see you subscribe to the "let's wait until they're out of our reach before we go for them" school of management-hiring. If you can't see that Lambert is going to be the real deal at this point in time then there's not much I can say to help you.

Let's agree to disagree and move on to something else.

Benitez would be my choice, although perhaps he's a tad unrealistic. Of the realistic options, Martinez is my choice.

We're a joke at the minute.
How so?

We let a tiny club in Norway make a fool out of us, a tiny club in England make a fool out of us this time last year, then we stooped to Birminghams level in appointing McLeish, defending his decision to leave them on grounds that the job was untenable and going to a trial to sort out comp for him. Not including the empty seats, protest etc. We have no squad bar 8 players and a few kids, no manager, no contact with the fans. Some one said it a few days ago and it didnt get half as much attention as it should what we need is a Peter Kenyon type because at the end of the day that man is always going to earn his wages no matter who he crosses or how much he is hated. Randy & PF are worried about stepping on people's toes.

Benitez would be my choice, although perhaps he's a tad unrealistic. Of the realistic options, Martinez is my choice.

We're a joke at the minute.
How so?

We let a tiny club in Norway make a fool out of us, a tiny club in England make a fool out of us this time last year, then we stooped to Birminghams level in appointing McLeish, defending his decision to leave them on grounds that the job was untenable and going to a trial to sort out comp for him. Not including the empty seats, protest etc. We have no squad bar 8 players and a few kids, no manager, no contact with the fans. Some one said it a few days ago and it didnt get half as much attention as it should what we need is a Peter Kenyon type because at the end of the day that man is always going to earn his wages no matter who he crosses or how much he is hated. Randy & PF are worried about stepping on people's toes.

Don't you think we should wait and see who we appoint first?

Heskey twice, but it was worth it.

Thats how good it felt when he left. ;) My point is the cost cutting must end. That is quiet a lot of player turnover with the only ones coming in Makoun (since gone on loan), Ireland, Nzogbia, Given, Bent & Hutton. We need about 8 players in this summer. Thats about £40mil minimum and thats before we sell anyone. I know some of them were short deals but the fact of the matter is that these short term players were supposed to be seen as short term fixes until we had someone better lined up to fill the gap. Robbie Keane pretty much single handidly kept us up last year & he was only here for a couple of weeks. Does anyone know roughly with our attendance and ticket prices and acceptable wage budget for the year would be coupled with what we are currently paying out on a weekly basis?

I thought Ole was flavour of the month? They can't all be. It might be that people have wanted Martinez for a while because he has kept Wigan up 3 years on the trot. It's a possibility. The club wanted him 12 months ago which kinda makes him flavour of the decade.

So is that your criteria for a manager? Somebody who is going to keep Villa up for the next 3 years.

I'm going to assume you're not stupid enough to compare the abilities of Wigan to stay in the league with the abilities of Villa to stay in the league. Or to put it another way, Martinez has performed minor miracles at Wigan. If he can keep them up for 3 years with their resources, imagine what he could do at a club that is set up to be an ever-present Premier League side.

So yes, someone who can keep WIGAN in the PL for 3 years is the kind of manager who should be looked at. Liverpool certainly seem to think so too and I'm going to hazard a guess that their ambition isn't only to stay in the Premier League for the next 3 years either.

Raffa who has managed at that level.
As I will no doubt have to repeat between now and us hiring a manager, Rafa has been a complete and utter disaster since he fell out with his number 2. You can pinpoint the downturn in his results to the point where he fell out with Pako Ayseteran. So there's no way I want that spent damaged POS near the club.

Both Lambert and Martinez arent proven at that level. They might turn out to be able to manage at that level but why should Villa take the chance. We deserve somebody who is proven already.
I see you subscribe to the "let's wait until they're out of our reach before we go for them" school of management-hiring. If you can't see that Lambert is going to be the real deal at this point in time then there's not much I can say to help you.

Let's agree to disagree and move on to something else.

There is a difference between managing a team to keep them up and managing a team to push them on to the next level. If we have any ambition we should be hiring a proven manager who has done this in the past. I reiterate Martinez/Lambert might be able to do it but they haven’t done it yet.

But I as you say we will have to just agree to disagree.

Hogso, for the sake of my recently renewed season ticket, I hope you are not ITK.

I'm not saying Grayson would do badly, but I'm not risking near on £600 again this season in case we are served up the same crap we were last year and the year before that!

Grayson has got a side promoted to the Championship, which is an achievement, but it is not enough to convince me that he can turn around the current state of our club.

Grayson would be very uninspiring (to me anyway) and would show a huge step down.

Do note that I was all for Ole Gunnar "One season" Solksjaer...probably because he was a "big name" rather than a good manager...