General Next Manager Topic?? (everything other than Lambert)

donnie

As long as it meant McLeish going at the end of the season, I would take just about anyone.

Would be happy with one of Martinez, AVB, Cappello, Kevin MacDonald+Laursen as assistant with Laursen taking over after Mac.......

......but, wouldn't be surprised if we spent our transfer budget giving it Wolves as compensation for Terry Connor!!

Looked long and hard at the spurs back room team today

What a tight knit unit, Arry kevin bond Clive Allen hams segers

Arry is a very astute bloke in football terms

Commolli as DOF with KMAC as first team coach. - not what I want but a good outside bet ?

I doubt it. I'd imagine his payoff from Liverpool would include a clause to stop him working for a Premier League club for a few years.

Same with AVB.

Commolli as DOF with KMAC as first team coach. - not what I want but a good outside bet ?

I doubt it. I'd imagine his payoff from Liverpool would include a clause to stop him working for a Premier League club for a few years.

Same with AVB.

Id be surprised if he had such a clause. I wonder why he was there today - there must be more to it than just an invite. At the very I think he may help out in an advisory capacity.

there are very slim pickings out there manager wise.

i think if QPR go down we should try and poach Hughes from them - wanted him before we appointed mcleish

I think the pickings are there if you try. The worrying thing is that last summer was a manager hunters dream, with Benitez, Hughes, Jol, Ancelotti all looking for work - and yet somehow we ended up paying compensation for Mcleish !

smetrov - who do you see coming in and doing a better job?

Coyle? Curbishley? IMO they're no better than mcleish and i certainly wouldnt trust them with transfer funds.

looking at some others, AVB, ANcelotti as you mention - doubt they would come here even in their worst nightmares.

It isnt just a case of managers looking for work, its a case of who would risk coming here?

When you recruit a new manager with a priviso of no money....is it so surprising that so many don't fancy it.

Thats why we got McLeish.

It would have been Bin Laden, but he had been out the game too long.

still think that we want a manager who sees villa as a step up from where they are playing, and who are going to give their all and more for the villa cause. In fairness to Eck, I think he has given it his all, its just that the football he advocates with the players we have isn't good enough.

the last thing you want is to get in a big name, who will use the villa infrastructure as an excuse when they fail... for people like rafa, or capello, they are not coming into a club that has the infrastructure or can attract or afford players of the calibre / profile that they are used to working with.

For the next couple of seasons, we are looking to find someone who can get a barebones squad outperforming by playing an attractive system with confidence.

if we look at the good bits that we have (and by good, i mean, have shown themselves to be great at some point in the last three seasons and are still young enough to be improving):

DB9

Gabby

Ireland

N'Zogbia

Holman

Shay

Then if you look at the kids that have held their own in the premiership in their first real season this year:

Clark

Baker

Weimann

Lichaj

Herd

Albrighton

Bannan

Delfouneso

Carruthers

Then if you look at the seasoned heads that can still do a job premier league standard job, if handled properly:

Dunne

Collins

Warnock

Hutton

Plus those who we pay but haven't really seen this season:

Makoun

Delph

Plus the salaries being freed up by those out of contract:

Heskey

Cuellar

Guzan

This is what our squad looks like, with whatever we buy in over the offseason.

This to me looks more like a martinez / lambert / rodgers / moyes squad, than a rafa / capello squad...

Would love martinez or moyes...

I would take Owen coyle Bolton played some great stuff when he initially took over!!

No thanks - he is proving what I have thought all along in that he is a rubbish manager.

Do not like Coyle at all and still don't understand this "great stuff" that Bolton played, i've just never seen them play good football.

I'd go for Martinez myself. Good quality football and actually dares to have a go at the elite teams. Yes he'd be a gamble but at least I'd actually look forward to watching us play. This season I've dreaded 3pm on Saturdays.