General Next Manager Topic?? (everything other than Lambert)

donnie

Wouldnt it be awesome to be able to say ""Andres is Villas Boas""? ""Aston Villas Boas"", that alone should be a seller! :D

Valencia's Sporting Director has said AVB was their first choice to replace Unai Emery (I wouldn't mind him) and they were turned down. Valencia probably pay their manager similar to what we would and have better talent and CL football. Unless AVB really wants to prove to the world he can crack it in the PL, there's less than no chance he'd come to Villa.

I dont understand why any remote reason is used to sharpen then knives and come out kicking off at RL/PF?

Anything and its on them its seems, it makes no sense and doesn't help anything imo.

Once again we're a big part of the problem and we need to be careful that we dont become and un-manageable club because of our distaste to the owners and any new manager.

'Support' is a very loose term round VP it seems.

Absolutely, they get far too hard a ride as far as I'm concerned

Disagree.

Lerner could do no wrong in the eyes of most Villa fans for his first few years here, and was hailed as the best owner in the league.

He then fell out with Oneill, leading to us losing the best manager we'd had in a long time. The fans still stuck by Lerner.

He then completely messed up the Houllier appointment, yet the fans still stuck by him.

He then forced the sale of Young, Downing and Co and appointed the worst manager we've had in a lifetime.

He's made his own bed. We know how things work under Lerner, and a lot of us are rightly sceptical about our chances of getting a good manager in (something he's never done) in a sensible time frame (another thing he's never done).

I am thinking it is AVB.. If we haven't gone for Lambert or Martinez then we are running short of Premier League experienced vibrant managers. It's not McCarthy as he isn't vibrant, he's a minor step up from McLeish. AVB ticks all the boxes, he did the miraculous at Porto and while he lost the dressing room at Chelsea his age went against him with some of the talent in their squad, I don't think they respected him..

At Villa I think he would do well and it won't be the same as Chelsea, yes we have some big ego's at the club in the form of Dunne and Collins but AVB at Chelsea was forced to muddle through one season before rebuilding, the players knew this and made it very difficult for him to succeed. At Villa, he'll be tasked with rebuilding the second he gets here so it's a different scenario.

Exactly. As I said, something doesn't add up. If we had offered the job to OGS and he turned us down then fair enough. However, it seems like we never offered it to him in the first place. It was us that cut the deal off. Why would we do that if we didn't have somebody already lined up?

Think about it this way as well - AVB has Premier League managerial experience where as OGS does not. If we really are in for AVB then that would probably explain why OGS was turned down.

YankeeInMadrid said quite a while back when Solskjaer was first mentioned that he knew for a fact that we had approached a foreign manager who is often referred to his three initials.

AVB?

RDM?

FSW?

I have a feeling that Lerner will hire someone completely left field that would initially shock everybody but would bring a sense of excitement. Probably end up with Mick or Schteve though... :(

I was all for OGS (even before McLeish got sacked). However, as that seems dead and buried I am very intrigued (which I'm sure we all are) who comes in.

Lambert would seem the obvious one, and he could work wonders for us.

Not convinved by Martinez as he never seems to get his team "play" all yr, also defensively poor record.

Don't want RDM, didnt poorly at WBA and rode his luck in the Europeans to win. Can't see league format suiting his defensive style.

Rodgers, would be good, but doubt he will come.

Adkins, just can't see him leaving S'ton when he has just got them up.

Poyet, possibility and with Ray Wilkins as number 2 would be a good shout...

AVB cant see it

Benitez would like money...

Just hope the appointment happens soon.

UTV

Didnt solskjaer mention that he didnt think he'd get the job because there were other candidates
No I dont think so, where did he say that? ALl the stuff I have seen are just him saying he is no longer interested as he doesn't want to uproot his family

I think Lerner is baout to make another monumental cock up and appoint somebody who nobody really wants again.

Its not OGS fans choice

Its not going to be Lambert,Martinez,Rodgers,AVB

Poyet? maybe. probably the best of he rest

I have the feeling its going to be more along the lines of Lee Clarke or Simon Grayson and Im not sure about these two, especially the latter.

I know it shouldnt, but the thought of Mick McCarthy still terrifies me. Randy wouldnt would he. Maybe he will be left with no choice:?

really hard to tell who they are going to go for now.

young, enthusiastic and vibrant.

out of your list MM that woudl appear to rule out...

Ranieri

Hoddle

KMac

Bielsa

..for age.

then a few more for vibrancy...

Southgate

Grayson

Bradley

Clarke

then Lambert says not going anywhere, Martinez turned us down last year and in talks with liverpool.

doesn't seem to be a lot left!

zola would get us playing possession football and with steve clark be a good pair but wouldn't go down too well with the fans because of his record as a manager.

OGS has ruled himself out after no offer from teh club when he'd basically asked to be given the job.

young and vibrant and italian, there's devis mangia. sacked at palermo last year who started pretty well and is still young. not sure where he is now! there's walter mazzari who's 50 but has just won the cup with napoli and more than likely wouldn't be interested.

bilic? wouldn't be able to have much of a preseason as will be at the euros.

deschamps? very doubtfull.

blanc? ditto.

who the f*ck is this young and vibrant manager?

Guardiola :) Seriously by deduction it leaves Poyet or Di Matteo, unless they can convince AVB. Does Rijkaard still count as young? I'd love a bit of Dutch flavour at the club but I think he's manager of Saudi Arabia which I would have thought is rather well-paid.

AVB was damaged by the whole Premiership experience. His next "project" is likely to be with a warm weather club that plays less physical football. Di Matteo is a pragmatist who coaches defensively before counter attacking. Poyet is a possibility, he coaches good football similar to OGS, but with less charisma (so if we didn't want OGS, why would we offer the job to Poyet?)

Didnt solskjaer mention that he didnt think he'd get the job because there were other candidates
No I dont think so, where did he say that? ALl the stuff I have seen are just him saying he is no longer interested as he doesn't want to uproot his family

He didn't say that but he said Villa were talking to other candidates this week.

I think Lerner is baout to make another monumental cock up and appoint somebody who nobody really wants again.

Its not OGS fans choice

Its not going to be Lambert,Martinez,Rodgers,AVB

Poyet? maybe. probably the best of he rest

I have the feeling its going to be more along the lines of Lee Clarke or Simon Grayson and Im not sure about these two, especially the latter.

I know it shouldnt, but the thought of Mick McCarthy still terrifies me. Randy wouldnt would he. Maybe he will be left with no choice:?

I can't see it. Why would they turn down OGS for someone like Grayson?

Domingos Paceiencia - has just entered the betting @ 8-1

Express and star reported that he wanted the job - but villa told him no thanks......but perhaps he was the number 1 target after all.