Stan Petrov

LondonLax

It's a good move because to me it shows that beneath his confident shell Sherwood understands that he is a rookie manager, that this is his first proper managerial job and he can't realistically walk into a club this size and deal with everything himself or expect his ideas, alone, to move the club forward. Getting experienced men in, who understand the values and workings of the club can only benefit everyone, I think. 

Edited by nobler
  • Like 3

It says 'to work with the first team'.

As a coach? A helping hand? Someone to talk to players? Has he got any coaching qualifications? He sure doesnt have any experience...

When you need to hit the ground running, knowing the setup and players helps you to do that no question.

Same in business. Yes you want the best people for the job but training and understanding how things have worked is a good tool with 10 games to go.

As for experience aside from Delph firing on all cylinders stan was better than all our midfielders in the squad. So if it's a case of "teach them how to not be shite"

Then yeah short term he does have those qualities.

As a coach? A helping hand? Someone to talk to players? Has he got any coaching qualifications? He sure doesnt have any experience...

Nor do the fans on here and other forums but that doesn't stop them pretending to be experts and know how to coach select and man manage players does it? And give advice about tactics wTching

• Like 4

Nor do the fans on here and other forums but that doesn't stop them pretending to be experts and know how to coach select and man manage players does it? And give advice about tactics wTching

exactly. I am not being pessimistic about this appointment, but I just don't see it as 'excelent news'. Can anybody explain why it's good news? Even if Petrov was a Zinedine Zidane figure in midfield (which he was not) then how do we know appointing him is a good idea? What do you base your optimism on guys?

The only positive I can see is that Tim obviously works very hard to do everything to improve the team. But is Petrov any good?

exactly. I am not being pessimistic about this appointment, but I just don't see it as 'excelent news'. Can anybody explain why it's good news? Even if Petrov was a Zinedine Zidane figure in midfield (which he was not) then how do we know appointing him is a good idea? What do you base your optimism on guys?

The only positive I can see is that Tim obviously works very hard to do everything to improve the team. But is Petrov any good?

Well I remember back in 2013 he was studying for his coaching badges when he first rejoined. So he will most likely be 'qualified' although I can't confirm. In regards to a positive appointment. He is a hugely respected figure of the club, ex captain during our high points, knows the club and has recently worked with the players. 

I think what you should be asking due to your pessimism is how is this a negative appointment?  

I'm not really a fan of sentimental appointments and they usually smack of an attempt to placate discontented fans.

If Petrov proves to be a good coach, then great. However being a 'Villa man' and 'knowing the club' has no bearing on coaching ability. So I'd expect him to be hired mainly on the basis that they truly believe he'll offer something significant to the backroom staff. Sherwood did say words to that effect I suppose:

"But I don't want him to be a mascot here. I want him to contribute and he certainly can contribute. Stiliyan can add an awful lot to the football club."

At this point, I won't say it's a great appointment (nor will I say it's a bad one) as he has no coaching record to gauge. Hopefully, my skepticism is misguided.

Edited by Isa

I am not pessimistic at all; I am neutral to this appointment.

Yes, I am happy with the fact that he was a highly respected player and ex captain and that could well mean he will be a figure to look up to at Bodymore. But if all of a sudden Gabby was out of the game and came back to coach, would we be happy with it? Does every respected player have to have coaching abilities? I highly doubt it. And we dont even know what his role is actually going to be.

I wish him all the best. But to all of a sudden suggest that this is a great move, well, I'm just going to see how it affect the future results. 

Yes, I am happy with the fact that he was a highly respected player and ex captain and that could well mean he will be a figure to look up to at Bodymore. But if all of a sudden Gabby was out of the game and came back to coach, would we be happy with it? Does every respected player have to have coaching abilities? I highly doubt it. And we dont even know what his role is actually going to be.

I wish him all the best. But to all of a sudden suggest that this is a great move, well, I'm just going to see how it affect the future results.

Agreed.

If we don't win the next ten in a row with 43 goals from midfield then Petrov and Sherwood out!

• Like 1

Agreed.

If we don't win the next ten in a row with 43 goals from midfield then Petrov and Sherwood out!

I reckon Sherwood and Petrov OUT NOW (just to be on the safe side)

• Like 3

To be honest, just to have him on the training pitch working alongside the players I think is a real bonus.

I don't care if he's even just putting out the cones , if I was a player every time I train id look across and see a guy who has been through hell and back, loves this club and still lives for the game.

If he's in the changing room before and at half time, I'd think of everything this guy has been through to be sat here giving me encouragement so I'm gonna listen and make sure I let him down.

It's a great idea from Sherwood in many ways. Respect to him for that.

• Like 4

To be honest, just to have him on the training pitch working alongside the players I think is a real bonus.

I don't care if he's even just putting out the cones , if I was a player every time I train id look across and see a guy who has been through hell and back, loves this club and still lives for the game.

If he's in the changing room before and at half time, I'd think of everything this guy has been through to be sat here giving me encouragement so I'm gonna listen and make sure I don't let him down.

It's a great idea from Sherwood in many ways. Respect to him for that.

Fixed for you.

Â